Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
It's snowing here in the UK (and it was 20 degrees last week - what's that all about)
I take it you're talking Celsius?

04-04-2012, 12:50 PM   #62
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I take it you're talking Celsius?
Yes, it's one of the vagaries of being British I guess - I do short distances in mm, cm and metres, long distances in miles, speed in mph, small volumes in litres and milliliters and large volumes in gallons (proper ones). My partner does all weight in lbs and oz, whereas I do all weight in kg. And temperature is centigrade.

I wish we'd just gone metric properly!
04-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it's one of the vagaries of being British I guess - I do short distances in mm, cm and metres, long distances in miles, speed in mph, small volumes in litres and milliliters and large volumes in gallons (proper ones). My partner does all weight in lbs and oz, whereas I do all weight in kg. And temperature is centigrade.

Sound like a recipe for perpetual confusion--like something from the Vicar of Dibley :~).
04-06-2012, 09:25 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Calculus Quote
Hello.
So being young and egoistic, I gambled. Never had I done this before, and I'm risking my brand-new, three-day-old K-5 and *16-50 to some claim I've not tested to be true. I went over to the sink, turned on the tap and rinsed my K-5. I made sure to let them witness the water flowing on top, the bottom, sides of the K-5 and even the front element of the lens.
Heh heh, thanks to your story, I was bold enough to show my coworkers as to why I invested in a new body. This was actually the first time I used the K-5 (well, not really; the first few shots I took were just focus tests), and I slapped a brand new DA* 55 on it. My coworkers thought I was insane - and so did I for a second - until I showed them that nothing bad happened to my K-5 or the lens. The only problem with the demonstration is that I had to wipe off all that water off my K-5 before putting it back in the bag.

04-07-2012, 01:28 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Same for former Americans ...

Yes, it's one of the vagaries of being British I guess - I do short distances in mm, cm and metres, long distances in miles, speed in mph, small volumes in litres and milliliters and large volumes in gallons (proper ones). My partner does all weight in lbs and oz, whereas I do all weight in kg. And temperature is centigrade. I wish we'd just gone metric properly!
Bonjour,

I guess it took me over fifteen years to properly embrace the metric system ... and to stop converting from French francs into dollars ... Oops, excuse me, that's now from Euros into dollars and vice versa ...

Allez et salut, John le Green Grenouille
05-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Lol! I do exactly the same...
05-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #67
Veteran Member

MY K200D crash story :

The camera was placed on a wall of 1.5 meters high, with the standard dal18-55 mounted.
It received a soccer ball at full speed in the face. The camera bounces on the concrete twice, 1.5m (5 Ft) below...!
Concerning aspect, It have some scratches but nothing dramatical.
Unfortunately, after the shock, the share reduction goes mad when i use my camera for long exposure. No problem below 1/2 sec, but if i use longer exposure, the sensor moves alone repetitively, every 1/2 secs.
It was 3 years ago, and it's still working, i use it as a backup camera for daylight photos. The S.R is messy for long exposure, but the shock was VERY rude, and i was really amazed that it was still operating.

Regards,
Arno

Last edited by Couscousdelight; 05-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.
05-22-2012, 06:23 AM   #68

Shake reduction should be disabled for long exposures, so it shouldn't really be a problem.
05-22-2012, 08:31 AM   #69
Pentaxian

My thinking, too ...

QuoteOriginally posted by GnipGnop Quote
Shake reduction should be disabled for long exposures, so it shouldn't really be a problem.
Bonjour,

Everything that I have come across recommends deactivating the SR when using a tripod, long exposure, etc. SR in these situations may even induce vibrations itself, or so I've read if memory serves me correctly.

Thanks for your K200D story - Salut, John le Frog
05-26-2012, 06:39 AM   #70
Pentaxian

The interior of the K5 is not as durable as the exterior may look.
05-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The interior of the K5 is not as durable as the exterior may look.
Very smart to say that about a body that is 20 month old !

QuoteOriginally posted by GnipGnop:
I agree, but it doesn't change if i turn the SR off, it still moving alone...

Regards,
Arno
10-21-2013, 11:51 PM - 1 Like   #72

LOL I am one who tortures my cameras, too. I've had many a spill with the camera at the top of a tripod and, once, even slipped down a waterfall. The tripod and camera landed a good way from me. Everything still working. The latest caper was saltwater spray soaking, K5, lens, tripod and yours truly. So, I gave everybody a freshwater shower.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
10-22-2013, 08:30 PM   #73

Photos: Albums
Burning Man + K-5. 'nuff said.
No problem.