Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 02:13 AM   #1

Pentax Newbie Question

Hi all,
I was thinking about getting the K-01 but so that prices for the K-5 have dropped.

So, I'd like some advice. I want to shoot with a camera that has a decent AF but can also do MF.

I like to shoot as quiet as possible.

If I shoot MF with the K-5, how loud is it? I like to shoot street very discretely, so I'd love to have a quite MF camera if the situation arises.

Also, I know the K-01 will have the peak focusing aid but I have pretty sharp eyes. Do you think I can MF the camera thru the K-5's viewfinder without using the "zoom" in aid?. I don't even know if that's right or not (I'm so new to Pentax) but I'd like to just MF straight with the optical VF.

Any and all advice is welcome.

For more FYI on my "style" of street, here is my current shots with my x100: South Korea in Black and White - a set on Flickr

Which do you think is wiser for what I'm use to? A black K-01 or a black K-5?

03-08-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Pentax k-5 has one of the most (if not the most) quietest dslr shutter noise, but many Pentax lenses still use a screwdrive AF which is quite loud, but since you indicated you are going to manual focus then thats going to be a non issue. I would suggest turning off all the beeps as well. I can focus quite well manually using just the viewfinder, if you need to you can buy split prism focusing screens that really help manual focusing that make manual focusing with the viewfinder very easy.
03-08-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If money is not an issue, and if you do not need the latest 'fashion'/technology, the K-5 will offer you much more control than the K-01.

Consider if you need a viewfinder. If you do, then the K-5 is no brainer.

Food for thought....
03-08-2012, 06:03 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In my opinion the K5's shutter is very quite as well as its screw drive. I do not like the motor drive lenses - too much to fail, however that is another story. Actually, I would like to have Pentax come out with the K5's replacement with focus peaking and a wonderful viewfinder like the K5's.

If you like shooting like a P&S then the K-01, else the K5.

For me the K5 has additional features that the K-01 does not have that I value - 5 shot bracketing, etc.

Its the personal preference...

03-08-2012, 10:44 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You might want to keep in mind that K-5's are intended for semi-pro / enthusiast users, while K-01's are intended for intermediate / beginner users. If you want to grow into a great camera, the K-5 is super. If you don't need as much flexibility, maybe you can get by with a K-01.

I do a lot of manual focussing through viewfinders. Personally I don't think that I would enjoy using the K-01 live view exclusively.
03-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
You might want to keep in mind that K-5's are intended for semi-pro / enthusiast users, while K-01's are intended for intermediate / beginner users. If you want to grow into a great camera, the K-5 is super. If you don't need as much flexibility, maybe you can get by with a K-01.

I do a lot of manual focussing through viewfinders. Personally I don't think that I would enjoy using the K-01 live view exclusively.
This is an excellent point - The K-01 is in most aspects of the imaging pipeline as good or better than the K-5, and while that means that it is capable of pictures just as good, the experience of using the camera has a great effect on how much you enjoy taking pictures and consequently on whether you bother to take the camera out in the first place, and are 'tuned in' enough to get that perfect shot. Unless you shoot video frequently, the k-5 is more rugged, weather sealed, has a great optical viewfinder, while still offering live view for those awkward shots. There are also far more buttons and dials so you can set the important things without faffing around with menus.

Some will love the K-01, but for me the K-5 wins hands down, especially when here in the UK the price difference is pretty insignificant. A couple of years ago I bought an Olympus E-P1, but I have never got on with it. It has a big(ish) sensor, and good image quality, but holding the camera out and looking at the screen was just a less satisfying experience. The K-5 (and even K-r, which should not be discounted - My K-x is still a great camera) allows me to get in the zone, but it's size stops it being obtrusive.

David
03-08-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Forum Member

I think if you have been shooting with the Fuji x100 you will find any other camera loud.

03-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Uless you have an unusually loud lens - to the point of being defective - the shutter (actually mirror) soind on any DSLR is going to be louder / more distracting than the focus soind. But the focus soind lasts longer, so sometimes, particularly to the photographer himself, it seems worse than it really is. From a distance though, it's the shutter they will hear, not the focusing.
03-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #9

For the very reasons you mention I am waiting for the Canon G1X.
03-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Shuter is quite silent, silent enough so that its noise will normally merge into the street noise. Focusing is loud, but since you're using MF lenses you don't have any problem. Last time my sister was taking photo of me with K-5 in a coffee shop, there was just low talk around and I didn't hear the shutter at all. That means if people are occupied with something else, they won't probably hear the shutter at all.
03-09-2012, 08:19 AM   #11

If you really want to be sure what is right for you go to a shop and try them out..