Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
I wonder other brand dslr camera is just as difficult if without remote?
I don't have the manual for lots of other cameras, but I do have the manuals for example DSLR's like the Nikon D90 and Canon 5D I, and they certainly behave exactly like the K-5. In all of them you need to pre-focus before releasing the timer.

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
Yes, imagine a body of water in front of the camera (shoreline) and alone. How do you do pre focus?
Assess distance in meters to where you are going to be standing and adjust lens manually, set aperture to give ample depth of field (appropriate to your lens), set timer, profit.

03-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I wish to pose with a fish and lure in front with wide aperture, focus on fish mouth and lure, angler bokeh. I will get a remote.

Last edited by lightbulb; 03-09-2012 at 06:47 PM.
03-09-2012, 07:26 PM   #18
Den
Veteran Member

Will you have a fishing pole? Stick in the sand and prefocus on it or as rawr said, estimate the distance. And if using auto focus, then the remote should be all you need.
03-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some of the recent fishing poles cost like 1/2 grand and made of high modulus graphite and fragile.

Last edited by lightbulb; 03-09-2012 at 11:16 PM.
04-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was doing a search for "self-portraits" because my daughter would like to do some like this girl on DeviantArt and I landed here.

I have a K20D, not a K-5, but we've been struggling mightily trying to get it to work.......and we think we have it working finally. We wanted to use the intervalometer so she can do several poses in succession.

One of the first problems we encountered was that when using the intervalometer, it disables the self-timer. Originally I was hoping she should use the self-timer to get in position and then have the intervalometer take over from there....no such luck.

Another problem was that it didn't seem to want to continually focus (using AFS-C) and seemed to focus on the first image but then lock focus from there on out.

Now for some reason it seems to be working with the only change being that she shortened the intervalometer delay from 4" to 2" and then extended the number of images for around 3-4 to 10. Now, magically, it's doing continuous focus for each shot.

Some of the focus issues were related to lens AF adjustment. Not sure why, but my AF adjustment settings were all wiped out and set back to 0. Did a quick focus test with the DA Limited 70mm at perhaps 8-10 ft. and found that +8 was the setting. Someday I'd like to know WHY my AF adjustment has to be thrown so far "off" to make it focus? This has been true for both the Limited 70mm and the DA* 50-135mm....it's got to be the camera body.

Ultimately I would like to get her the wireless remote.

Regards,
Terry
04-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The rise of China has seen many cheap wireless remote. I was a bit taken aback by the lack of AF when using the self timer and when I found out that a cheap wireless remote could be had with less than USD10 I complained no more. It is one of the best investments as the remote is small and seems sturdy. It also allows continuous shutter. Perhaps you might want to google ebay or try your luck at local store for a compatible MIC one.
04-25-2012, 12:26 AM   #22
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
With the k5 i've been using this technique:

First i measure with a tape measure where i think my eyes are going to be. Then I dial in the focus to that measurement. I then set the aperture. Finally I use the interval shooting setting. This way i can pose for multiple shots. If using flash, I set the period of time between shots to allow the strobes to recharge.

04-25-2012, 02:50 AM   #23
Veteran Member

An other possibility is a home made cable release of about 5 m long (or longer), I have made one, rather easy to do.
On the internet, one can find several wire diagrams, it's the same as for Cannon.
While making mine, I split the AF and the triggering, so there are two buttons...