Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I miss the SR switch on my K20D

This is one feature I really miss coming from the K20D.

I studied the manual hoping that I could assign the raw/fx button to toggle SR, but no luck. I realize I can use the 2 sec timer or mirror lock up so turn off SR, but that's not what I want.

When shooting wildlife, I like to use my tripod but things happen fast and don't always have time to use the mirror lock up. From what the manual says, if you don't press the shutter button within 1 minute, the mirror then comes back down. And.....I just hate digging into the menu to turn it on or off.

So it looks like my only choice is to create a user mode with SR off when I using the tripod.

Am I missing something, or is this my only choice for quickly turning SR on and off?

03-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #2
Pentaxian

What I did was set up a number of user profiles. I have one set up for my autofocus lens hand held where SR is on, another for my monopod where I have SR turned off. Other settings are saved as well, but I use it mostly for SR.
03-08-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
What I did was set up a number of user profiles. I have one set up for my autofocus lens hand held where SR is on, another for my monopod where I have SR turned off. Other settings are saved as well, but I use it mostly for SR.
Thanks for that. From what I read in the manual this would be my only option - but not a bad option at all.
03-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
Closed Account

I miss it, too. It's one of the very few steps backward from the K20D, in my opinion. I'm trying to get into the habit of remembering to press the Info button to see if it's on/off, then using the 4-way controller to move to the SR feature and turning the rear dial to change it, but sometimes I forget, like when I mount it on a tripod!

03-08-2012, 09:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Agreed. If that particular mechanism is off or on, I want to *feel* it. (Changes everything about motion: has to be something I can touch. )

Menus can't do that.

Of course I still *have* a K20d, but I'd miss it. Along with any switch I can feel.
03-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I believe setting drive mode to remote (ir) will also turn off the sr. Shutter operates as normal. You could put gaffer tape over the blinky red light if needed.
03-08-2012, 11:54 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I too used to change my k20d between SR-on and SR-off when alternating shots of flying birds versus sitting on a branch. Then I just started using TAv mode on the k-5 with speed high enough that SR is useless anyway. Now I just leave it off when wandering a river bank in daylight. I cant place the exact threads but it has been addressed before about speeds over (was it 1/500s?) that SR does nothing. I typically shoot at 1/1000s.

03-09-2012, 12:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

And the bracketing button, that's the one I miss....
03-09-2012, 02:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I have the K-7 and I believe the menu system and all is about the same. Another option is (which I use). is through the info screen. Just make your the SR on/off option is selected in the info screen and then you can do it rather quick. Press info to get in the screen, turn e-dial to turn SR on or off, and you are set. Just press the shutter to make the shot now. It is not as quick as on switch, but fairly quick, and it works for me (took me a long time to figure out that it is possible)
03-09-2012, 05:09 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
And the bracketing button, that's the one I miss....
I'm not exactly sure how that one works on a K20D, but on the K5 you can reprogram the raw/fx button to enable bracketing
03-09-2012, 05:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Quick access to Shake Reduction switch - hit twice INFO button and turn it off/on. I'm more annoyed with ISO button....I still didn't master the changing ISO fluently
btw. Bracketing can be programmed to RAW/FX button
03-09-2012, 05:25 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I too used to change my k20d between SR-on and SR-off when alternating shots of flying birds versus sitting on a branch. Then I just started using TAv mode on the k-5 with speed high enough that SR is useless anyway. Now I just leave it off ...
Agree... SR will not freeze a fidgety subject. Higher shutter speed is necessary. I utilize a K-5 USER profile that defaults to TAV, among other things. Now, my shutter speeds are rarely less that 1/400 sec (I can hand-hold steady to 1/25sec, too, if needed). Plus, SR should to be off when panning moving subjects, anyway. I found SR to be kinda like training wheels. It was handy when learning the limits of my gear, but as I've sharpened my technique and moved along the learning curve, I've weaned myself off of it. As such, I just don't think about it too much anymore and find it not that critical.

Cheers and enjoy the season...
03-09-2012, 06:42 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I too used to change my k20d between SR-on and SR-off when alternating shots of flying birds versus sitting on a branch.
I'm not sure why you want SR-on for a flying bird (or did you mean the other way? SR-on for sitting birds, SR-off for flying ones? In that case, you can ignore the rest of my comment).

SR helps stop camera-motion, not subject-motion. You can only freeze moving subjects by using a high enough shutter speed.
03-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vrrattko Quote
Quick access to Shake Reduction switch - hit twice INFO button and turn it off/on. I'm more annoyed with ISO button....I still didn't master the changing ISO fluently
btw. Bracketing can be programmed to RAW/FX button
Now that is what I was looking for - pressing the INFO button twice, then quickly to the SR - thanks vrrattko!
03-09-2012, 01:41 PM - 1 Like   #15
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I missed the fuss, since it is very easy to change things in the quick menu to reach true the info-button.