Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 12:59 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi, I'm not sure if this might help but after two years of using 16-50 f2.8 excessively I found that the true strength of Pentax is in its fixed focal lenses. They have the unique and all-mighty FA limited primes and extremely versatile and compact DA limited series. Now having Fa 77mm (almost 2 years) and Fa 31mm (purchased recently) limiteds I feel some kind of internal resistance to mount the DA* zoom - too big and heavy, though my copy seems very good one and I never experienced any SDM issues. In contrast, using any of the Fa limiteds is pure joy and they look and feel just harmonious with K-5 Try to check the lens clubs section on the forum and browse for FA limited and DA* threads to draw your own conclusion concerning image quality they produce.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/59538-fa-limited-club.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/73997-da-club.html

oh, and yes, answering the topic: K-5 is very good

p.s. not that I'm any kind of pro, rather an amateur photographer and I mostly take pictures of my family and some landscapes while hiking, so take the above accordingly

QuoteOriginally posted by exposed Quote
I spent the weekend thinking about what I would replace my Nikon for Pentax gear. Here is what I thought....

K-5 body
K-01 body
SMC Pentax-DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL [IF] SDM
SMC Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED [IF] SDM

03-12-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fully agree with the above. For me the true joy of Pentax, and the K5, is the primes (especially the Limited- which are superb, and great value compared to Canikon). But the two DA* zooms you list are excellent, and wont disappoint you.
03-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

This will be a very open question and I expect some interesting answers. At this point I am using a Nikon D300, 20 2.8d, 20-35 2.8d, 80-200 2.8 AF-S lens. I have read some about the K-5 and it looks great on paper but want to know about real use. I have been a working photographer for 30 some years, and still do a small amount of work but now do work for myself, outdoors for the most part. I am also looking at getting the K-01 so this is my reason for wanting more info on the K-5. I plan on selling all my Nikon gear, yes I know not the best idea, why not upgrade the Nikon. For one, the glass is so out of sight price wise and I am getting tired of the Nikon/Canon crap, I want to move pass all of that, try something different. I also have the Olympus epl-2 that I plan on selling. I like the olympus but find it not right for my needs, m4/3rds compaired to the APS size sensor.

So, how good is the K-5
Wow ! its the other me lol ! I too 30year pro and also have and use D300 and K5.
Ultimately the D300 is far superior as a working pro tool ! That might not go down to well with many, but its a simple fact.
I bought the k5 after reading all the things you have and went ahead and bought it.
the biggest drawback by far is the autofocus on the K5. its focus points are huge and makes critical focus very dificult all too often.
Next is the poor flash exposure accuracy. The best thing about the K5 is the sensor though. Here... you can believe the hype !
there is stunning detail and ubeleivable amount of lattitude and superb high ISO performance.
For pleasure use the K5 has an awful lot to offer and is without doubt capable of amazing images that are superior to the D300.
Despite this though, there is not much wrong with images from the D300 and camera for camera The D300 is in a different leauge.
I also beleive this is reflected in street prices though, since in all honnesty, the D300 is almost twice the price of a K5.
03-12-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Randy, the K-5 is indeed an excellent tool. Certainly best value for money. 16Mp of good high ISO performance, and even better, near flawless, ISO 80-200 results. To get a considerable advantage over the K-5, I'd think you need to go up to FF - i.e. the D700, D800 or D3x. As mentioned, the prices of these cameras reflects their worth, and lenses are another story as you're aware of. Nevertheless, for most pro applications, it seems the K-5 can keep up with what you throw at it, perhaps not including superfast sports. Lenses are definitely the mainstay of performance, and Pentax has an array of OEM as well as third party options to consider. Fast telephoto IMO should be left to the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 or Pentax DA* 60-250, with the Sigma 70-200 coming in after these two. Longer than this, I'd recommend the DA* 300, or if you can find one, the older FA* 300 as it is a stop faster than the DA*.

03-12-2012, 02:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Longer than this, I'd recommend the DA* 300, or if you can find one, the older FA* 300 as it is a stop faster than the DA*.
Ash, I'm sure that's a typo, the FA* is a third of a stop slower than the DA*, not faster. Lenses are FA*300/4.5, DA*300/4.0.
03-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Rental..

Did some searching on the net and found Cameralensrentals.com and they have Pentax gear. I may rent the K-5 and a lens for a shoot I have in April, a Kelly Clarkson concert that I have been cleared to photograph. I would like to see what the different is between the Nikon and Pentax, I will use both. It will be a quick shoot, only have the first 3 songs then I am done.

If anyone has better idea of where to rent Pentax gear, let me know and again, thank you for the comments, they have helped loads!!!

Randy
03-12-2012, 02:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Yes the K-5 is a superb APS-C DSLR camera. Pentax has the DA* zooms, but unfortuantely the black sheep of the DA* family is the 16-50, all the others are universally praised for their optics. I agree with a previous poster though that Pentax's strength is not really it's zooms, but it's sublime limited primes. The DA15, FA31, FA43, DA70, FA77 are IMHO exceptional lenses.

If you are more drawn to zooms, or want to keep open the option to go Full Frame, then stay with Nikon. If you want compact system with high IQ primes, then Pentax could float your boat.

03-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I may rent the K-5 and a lens for a shoot I have in April, a Kelly Clarkson concert that I have been cleared to photograph. I would like to see what the different is between the Nikon and Pentax, I will use both. It will be a quick shoot, only have the first 3 songs then I am done.
Please don't do that. I know you will be dissapointed. You will blame the whole world, Pentax, Nikon, and maybe even Kelly Clarkson. You would waist valuable time on running two different camerasystems and one of them is not familiar for you. That is a good rescept for desaster.

I once read about a photographer that rented a system for a one day event. Due to some mallfunction, partly his failure in handling the new system there was a newly wed couple without pictures
03-12-2012, 04:01 PM   #24
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I do worry about different systems and the problems that can happen. This shoot is important, but not all that important. I am shooting for the arena that is holding the concert. As much as I love the idea of a lighter, smaller and better IQ camera, I may just stay with the Nikon system, upgrade the camera (d700) and sell a lens and get better glass. But still looking at the K-01, I like it for the larger sensor, so the Olympus may be history.

Thank you everyone, you have been of great help,

Cheers,

Randy
03-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #25
Veteran Member

One of the best cameras on the scene at any price point and any sized sensor.
03-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
One of the best cameras on the scene at any price point and any sized sensor.
Bonsoir,

On est bien d'accord!

Cordialement, J
03-14-2012, 02:05 AM   #27
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Ash, I'm sure that's a typo, the FA* is a third of a stop slower than the DA*, not faster. Lenses are FA*300/4.5, DA*300/4.0.
Well it wasn't typo twitch but I apologise I wasn't more specific about which FA* 300 I was referring to. There are indeed two different ones, the larger f/2.8 one and the f/4.5 one you mentioned.
Both are great lenses but the f/2.8 version is just in another league, and quite rare.
03-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This will be a very open question and I expect some interesting answers. At this point I am using a Nikon D300, 20 2.8d, 20-35 2.8d, 80-200 2.8 AF-S lens. I have read some about the K-5 and it looks great on paper but want to know about real use. I have been a working photographer for 30 some years, and still do a small amount of work but now do work for myself, outdoors for the most part. I am also looking at getting the K-01 so this is my reason for wanting more info on the K-5.

So, how good is the K-5
I think you are asking the wrong question. How good is it? Very, very good, but that goes for the D300 as well. The question I would be asking is about the Delta-Q between the two, related to your shooting habits (in bold above) and the cost of a full gear change.

I am dearly in love with my K-5 and have been shooting Pentax for ages, going back to film. The Pentax sensor excels at outdoor shooting with a large dynamic range. The camera ergonomics are perfectly suited to that environment as well, even when things start getting moist or outright wet. However, Nikon is the king of focusspeed and accuracy. I do not feel the K-5 is hugely behind but that may be due to my subjectmatter. (500px / Mike Bing / Photos)

You do not state you do a lot of flash photography, or at least you didn't put any emphasys on it, but I'd be the first to admit Pentax's P-TTL is OK, but no more than that and the K-5 has a few quirks in that department.

All in all, you seem to have a very good system, quality-wise, and want to know about another very good system. The differences are not going to be huge, unless you need a particular functionality to which one of the two is better equipped.

As to lens quality: the 50-135mm is absolutely up there with the best of them and at a fraction of the price. The Ltd's are also quite awesome. Glass-wise, you are definitely right in your assessment that equal quality glass will be costlier on the Nikon side.

To me, the answer to your question is a toss-up, sorry.
03-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I suppose this is something to consider. Is fast AF something I need so much anymore. Every now and again I do a wedding, 2/3 times a year and family/senior portraits, but not that much. Right now it is more landscapes, panno's and such. I was looking for better IQ than the D300 gives being it is way past it's prime. I am still thinking the K-01 for my landscape and back country work. The olympus is nice for that, small and such but I have only done enlargements of 12x18 and they look good, but I think about larger. I may wait and see what time tells about the K-01 and go from there.

Thank you all,

Randy
03-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I suppose this is something to consider. Is fast AF something I need so much anymore. Every now and again I do a wedding, 2/3 times a year and family/senior portraits, but not that much. Right now it is more landscapes, panno's and such. I was looking for better IQ than the D300 gives being it is way past it's prime. I am still thinking the K-01 for my landscape and back country work. The olympus is nice for that, small and such but I have only done enlargements of 12x18 and they look good, but I think about larger. I may wait and see what time tells about the K-01 and go from there.

Thank you all,

Randy
Sit down portraits wouldn't need fast AF either

If you are willing to wait and see what the K-01 will produce, might as well wait and see what is the next k-5 replacement. But when considering between a k-5 and a D300 when traveling about, size is one of the factors, right?