Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 10:48 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No portraits would not, but do not want to buy a product that is not able to do both. Like I have said, the D300 is great on most things, it is the glass that kills me. My D300 is still very new, only about 18,000 clicks on it. What and when is rumored for the K-5 replacement?

Randy

03-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Theoretically fall of this year. Or sooner, perhaps. Sorry I don't know of anything more definite.

And I'm expecting the price drop of the K-01 in 6 months, similar to the Q.
03-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #33
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you! I know some have not liked the looks of the K-01 but I sure do. When I purchased the Olympus pen, It does not have a viewfinder. Thinking I needed one, I purchased the Olympus finder, $229 and used it for awhile. It is nice but I have gone back to just using the LCD. I thought after all the years of look through a finder I could not do the LCD thing, but so far, not a problem. I wait for more in depth info on the K-01.

Randy
03-14-2012, 11:12 PM   #34
Veteran Member

The only thing I'd mention at this point is that in waiting for a replacement for the K5 you are going to be waiting at least another 6 months before you can get your hands on it (and thats assuming it has the specs and price point that meets your requirements) by the time the announcement is made and then wait another few months before it actually hits the streets.

The K5 is a superb camera and will meet your needs now (there are lots of pro wedding shooters on the various Pentax forums and none seem to have any issue with the K5, or even Kr/Kx, as event cameras. It seems to tick all your boxes too. The AF is, by-the-way, still damn good even not quite up to the speed set by Nikon's top cameras - but it is more accurate. When the K5 came out it was around US$1,600, now it's barely above US$900 and stunning value for money. Worst case scenario is you buy it, don't like it and sell it off after a few months at a couple of hundred dollars loss. Pretty cheap for a rental !

04-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
Yes, it is.
K-5 has many advantages:
- Very good build and compact (so lenses are)
- Very nice image quality (color depth, dynamic range, iso, noise process)
- Lovely shutter sound
- Monitor is good too
- Easy UI
- Some special functions: HDR, digital filters, cross processing, catch in focus
- Shake reduction sensor
- Acceptable price
- You are specific from Nikonian, Canonian, etc. ;-)

Just weak if it is used for: very very professional camera man, very very rich man :-))
04-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #36
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am just about to rent a K-5 and lens for a week to try out. Not sure why I keep going back to it. I have always been one for the "underdog" so maybe that is why, or I just love the options it gives me, weather proof and such, high ISO. Lenes are my only concern and not price but options. Still trying to decide on what lens to get when I rent..... thoughts??

Thank you,

Randy
04-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are you planning to shoot ?

QuoteOriginally posted by exposed Quote
I am just about to rent a K-5 and lens for a week to try out. Not sure why I keep going back to it. I have always been one for the "underdog" so maybe that is why, or I just love the options it gives me, weather proof and such, high ISO. Lenes are my only concern and not price but options. Still trying to decide on what lens to get when I rent..... thoughts??

Thank you,

Randy
Bonjour,

Give us a list and/or an idea ...

Merci, J Frog

04-13-2012, 10:29 AM   #38
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I am not sure what you are asking, "list or and idea". I am wanting to rent to get a feel for the camera, not really going to shoot anything for sure, just take it out and fire off a few frames and see what I get. I know I will be doing a few landscapes, some panno's and some low light shots. Right now, I am think the 16-50 2.8.....

Randy
04-13-2012, 10:46 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Thank you,

Randy
What do you like to shoot ? Maybe the 50-135 for most day to day photography. Great IQ and WR so weather won't hold you back even if it rains !
04-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #40
Inactive Account

K-5 is the best Cropped sensor dslr period.
04-13-2012, 06:29 PM   #41
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
mmmmm

mmmm the tool is ahead of most skill levels, so perhaps you should be asking how good am I
04-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I'd suggest looking at what Limited series primes are available and sounds intriguing. They are one of the biggest strengths of the Pentax glass.
04-14-2012, 12:36 AM   #43

Photos: Albums
I am not sure what you are asking, "list or and idea". I am wanting to rent to get a feel for the camera, not really going to shoot anything for sure, just take it out and fire off a few frames and see what I get. I know I will be doing a few landscapes, some panno's and some low light shots. Right now, I am think the 16-50 2.8.....

Randy
16-50mm f2.8 is good for many purposes, you found the correct one to try!
Also possible to consider:
- DA 35mm f2.4 (budget one)
- Other prime and limited lenses
04-14-2012, 02:36 AM   #44
Veteran Member

If you want to know how good a K-5 is then I suggest you look at the pictures on this forum.
04-14-2012, 03:04 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-5 and a K-01. They are both excellent cameras with complimentary but quite different capabilities.

Although I have been very happy with it for travel and walk-around shooting, I would strongly recommend *against* shooting a live music concert with the K-01. I do this sort of work regularly for a major Australian music website, and I use the K-5 with my old K10D as a back-up body (used mainly for crowd shots). I have smuggled the K-01 into concerts for which I have not been credentialled; the autofocus is too slow, the continuous frame rate is hopeless and following dynamic subjects in live view (especially with longer lenses) is almost impossible. In all these respects the K-5 has been superb. If I were relying in this work for my living I would get another K-5, or switch to full-frame Canikon. Luckily the day job pays pretty well ;-)