Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 05:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
lenses not identified in exif

I got my K-5 several weeks ago (yea!) and I've just noticed that none of my lenses are named in the exif data. I am running the 1.12 firmware. All the lenses I've looked at so far (FA 31mm; FA 43mm; DA12-24; Tamron 28-75; ) are all coming up "Pentax K or M lens" even tho it does transmit all of the other data. I've tried photome, opanda exif2 and the generic 'properties' one on the jpeg files and photoshop on the DNG files. I'm shooting RAW+ with DNG as the raw format. Has anyone else had this problem? Is there some setting I've not enabled? It's not a terrible problem but it is irksome.

NaCl(I can live with it but prefer to have my lenses labeled)H2O

03-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This typically happens when you have the aperture ring on the lens set to something other than the "A" setting. My K7 freaks out every now and then when I manually control the aperture.
03-11-2012, 06:47 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aperture ring was on "A" on all lenses. I generally shoot in aperture priority and was changing aperture via rear e-dial on all lenses.

NaCl(we'll see what happens when I upgrade to 1.13)H2O
03-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

I've seen a similar thing with my DA* 50-135. Adobe Bridge used to read it with my K10D but not my K5. Looking back on my files I discovered that even the K10D images just before my K5 purchase also was missing the data. PhotoMe listed in summery, Pentax K or M mount, but buried further down in the manufacture notes the lens is correctly identified. I attributed the Bridge and summary error to rebuilding my computer about that time, however, old images from before that time still contain the lens data in summary. At least with RAW files.

03-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Aperture ring was on "A" on all lenses. I generally shoot in aperture priority and was changing aperture via rear e-dial on all lenses.
well then it looks like the contacts on the lens and your camera body need a good cleaning. Other than that there isn't much I can think of short of a catastrophic electrical failure affecting body and lens communication that could be causing your problems...or perhaps it is the RAW software - sometimes Lightroom confuses my Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG with the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 APO EX DG - which is annoying*, but thanks to the EXIF search feature it is easily rectified.

*Lightroom also does the same thing with my Nikon D3s raw wiles when I'm using the Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG on it.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-11-2012 at 07:08 PM.
03-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I've tried photome, opanda exif2 and the generic 'properties' one on the jpeg files and photoshop on the DNG files.
What happens if you drop an un-touched RAW or JPG straight out of camera on top of exiftool?

exiftool is usually the most up-to-date of the EXIF readers with manufacturer lens and body tags. I mean it is not that the full lens name is stored in the RAW EXIF (I think) just a digital code that the EXIF reading software needs to lookup in order to translate into a lens name. Manufacturers seem to change around the placement and labelling of these tags in the file metadata all the time.
03-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Give the contacts a clean maybe?

03-12-2012, 04:13 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm thinking it may be older versions of photome etc. I haven't updated them since I got my K20D some time ago. I will try that tonite, and also download exiftool mentioned above. I don't think it's dirty contacts, in all other respects the camera/lens works as intended, aperture, AF, flash (including zoom), etc are all working. And the lenses correctly identify on the K20D. I'll upgrade tonight and let youse guy know.

NaCl(just slightly behind the times)H2O
03-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
it is not that the full lens name is stored in the RAW EXIF (I think) just a digital code that the EXIF reading software needs to lookup in order to translate into a lens name.
Correct!

NaClH2O: update your software to latest version. Or just use latest exiftool.
03-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #10

I've had the same experience with Lightroom and an occasional Pentax lens and an occasional Nikkor.
03-13-2012, 04:20 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update: I upgraded photome and downloaded exiftool. The lens is still not identified on the title page of photome, but it is in body of the report. Exiftool also correctly reports the lens, but again in the body. One of the things I like about photome is that most of the info I'm looking for is generally posted on the title page. On the K20-d the lens was reported on the title page. I'm going to contact them and see if they can move the info to the title page for the K-5. Photome gets updated relatively frequently so maybe the fix will be in the next iteration.

NaCl(being lazy I like everything on top)H2O
03-15-2012, 08:12 PM   #12
bxf
Veteran Member

EXIFToolGUI

... One of the things I like about photome is that most of the info I'm looking for is generally posted on the title page. On the K20-d the lens was reported on the title page. I'm going to contact them and see if they can move the info to the title page for the K-5. Photome gets updated relatively frequently so maybe the fix will be in the next iteration.

NaCl(being lazy I like everything on top)H2O
PhotoME hasn't been updated in years.

You may want to have a look at EXIFToolGUI, which enables you to customize a panel with selected items from EXIF and makers' data.