Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2012, 10:02 PM   #1

AUTO ISO in movie mode fix?

so, i just opened my k-5, tried out my lenses, and everything was cool until i tested the movie mode... i did so much reading before i bought, but i missed this one little detail about movie mode. it only allows auto ISO in movie mode. there's no way around it.

what a colossal mistake by pentax. what's the point of shooting on a prime lens, in full hd so awesomely when your camera is constantly ruining everything you're trying to create? when i pan over a hot light source, the whole scene goes dark. or if you're shooting something noir, or moody, it fights you and ramps up the noise and ruins the look. it looks so prosumer and i couldn't be more bummed tonight.

anyone hear of a fix?

PS - i just joined and posted this concern in another thread so i'm sorry if this is an overpost or some other faux pas.

03-12-2012, 10:47 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The fix will be introduced in the K-5's replacement later this year, which should have the same video capabilities as the K-01.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2012, 10:52 PM   #3

Original Poster
by replacement, do you mean firmware? or another camera i should buy?
03-12-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It'll be a new camera, of course

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2012, 11:07 PM   #5

Original Poster
great. well, i'll send this one back, then. it is cool, but there's no reason to spend the money now.

thx, adam.
03-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
have you tried the exposure lock button?
03-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bicameral2 Quote
when i pan over a hot light source, the whole scene goes dark. or if you're shooting something noir, or moody, it fights you and ramps up the noise and ruins the look. i
As adpo said, lock the exposure with the AE-L button, adjust the exposure up/down manually with exposure compensation. Also in settings you should set "use constant aperture" or something similar related to movie mode. Don't give up just yet, it's not perfect but it isn't that bad.

03-13-2012, 12:44 AM   #8

Original Poster
hole eee crap. that's what i get for jumping to conclusions. i'm still a little bummed...mostly in myself that my research was so lacking....and also, the lack of that more precise control. but i can definitely live with this.

thanks so much for the help.

one more question: as i play with this, i notice that, after locking AE, i can turn my aperture ring on my prime 50, and there is no noticeable change. but with my pentax-da, the aperture clearly affects the exposure. what's up with that?
03-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bicameral2 Quote

--------

one more question: as i play with this, i notice that, after locking AE, i can turn my aperture ring on my prime 50, and there is no noticeable change. but with my pentax-da, the aperture clearly affects the exposure. what's up with that?
What is your prime 50 specifically? Here's my experiences with old MF lenses with aperture ring: 1) I lock the exposure using AE-L; 2) Start shooting; 3) changing aperture on the aperture ring while recording will indeed now change the exposure.

If you try to change aperture before you start recording you will not see any effect of stopping down: The aperture coupling lever will only be activated the moment you start shooting.

Last edited by Stone G.; 03-13-2012 at 02:37 AM.
03-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #10

Original Poster
smc pentax-m 1.7 50mm

ok, thanks for explanation. that's what i was getting last night, so all must be well.