Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Change K-5 focus screen?

Bonjour,

Has anyone some comparative feedback in the differing focusing screens available for my K-5?

I kind of agree with the French photo magazine, Chasseur d'Image, that the standard K-5 screen is "grainy" ...

Have you changed, to what type of screen, etc.?

Any advice/feedback will be greatly appreciated, and merci d'avance - John le Frog

03-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

Has anyone some comparative feedback in the differing focusing screens available for my K-5?

I kind of agree with the French photo magazine, Chasseur d'Image, that the standard K-5 screen is "grainy" ...

Have you changed, to what type of screen, etc.?

Any advice/feedback will be greatly appreciated, and merci d'avance - John le Frog
I would recommend against changing the screen to one of the traditional split lens type focusing screens. On the K10 and K20, it screwed up "spot metering" by a coupla stops to the extent that i could only rely on center weighted or matrix metering. Not worth it in my mind, unless you are really into the manual focusing.
03-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is perhaps a start for you...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/142241-best-screen-ever-...anon-ee-s.html
03-15-2012, 03:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
27 pages ... wow

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
Bonjour riff,

Merci ... some reading to do here, but the ee s sounds quite interesting!

Salut, J Frog

03-15-2012, 03:38 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
KatzEye

This Tuesday I installed KatzEye with Optibrite and I like it! I im in manual focusing so it's very helpful.
For auto focusing (at least for me) the original viewfinder is fine.

Cheers!
03-15-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Focusing Screen Thread

Here's another thread...

Focusing Screen Reviews
03-16-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Merci

QuoteOriginally posted by s4int Quote
Here's another thread...

Focusing Screen Reviews
Bonjour s4int,

Thanks again ... I missed reading this thread somehow ...

Salut, J Frog

03-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Merci

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
I would recommend against changing the screen to one of the traditional split lens type focusing screens. On the K10 and K20, it screwed up "spot metering" by a coupla stops to the extent that i could only rely on center weighted or matrix metering. Not worth it in my mind, unless you are really into the manual focusing.
Bonjour philbaum,

That's kind of my current dilemma. I have started doing a lot more manual focusing (my growing Adaptall-2 collection plus M42's), and I am looking for something "better" than to standard screen ... but at a reasonable trade-off(s) for AF vs. MF applications. Basically, like all, I want the best of both worlds without any compromise(s) ...

Merci encore et salut, J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-16-2012 at 11:29 AM.
03-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Merci pour le "feedback"

QuoteOriginally posted by TimHar Quote
This Tuesday I installed KatzEye with Optibrite and I like it! I im in manual focusing so it's very helpful.
For auto focusing (at least for me) the original viewfinder is fine.

Cheers!
Bonjour TimHar,

I'd been looking at the KatzEye(s) ... thanks for your input here. And I agree that for AF, the standard screen does relatively well and it meets my needs for my AF lenses. My pondering is whether I should change it or not ... the jury is still out on this one.

Salut, J
03-16-2012, 02:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Installing a cats eye split focus screen in my K20d was a true HORROR! And I didn't find the endresult was worth the time, pain and money. It has only a very little advantage over the stock screen IMHO. So I'm going to keep my K5 with the original.

The viewfinder enlarger however, does do a good job though. It does force you to press the VF tighter against your eye though. But I guess, if you find the stock screen grainy, it will enlarge the grain too of course.
03-16-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
That's kind of my current dilemma. I have started doing a lot more manual focusing (my growing Adaptall-2 collection plus M42's), and I am looking for something "better" than to standard screen ... but at a reasonable trade-off(s) for AF vs. MF applications. Basically, like all, I want ed best of both worlds without any compromise(s) ...
I am in the same situation as you John. I decided to try this DSLR Viewfinder, DSLR EyePiece, Optical Viewfinder - Zacuto Z-Finder as a solution. Similar products are available from Hoodman and LCDVF. The Zacuto is the most expensive of these three. I chose it because of 1) the diopter adjustment and 2) the mounting system. I`ve had it for only a week or so. I am extremely pleased with the performance and results to date.

The eye cup is deep and comfortable and I find the extra support helpful in steading the camera. It works great on a tripod too. Manual focus is a breeze, my K 50mm f1.2 just sings at 1.2 with the z-finder! I was shooting yesterday with a Tele-Tak 300mm f6.3 and getting the shots, I had snapped off the z-finder pro 2.5x to change lenses and a sudden photo op cause me to bring the OVF to my eye. It was horrible, the light was bad but focus was not an issue because I couldn`t even see the target.

My hit rate is good, I`d guess high 90`s and I know by the time the shutter releases when I missed focus ever time I missed focus.

Zacuto has or had some demo`s for sale. This is what I ordered and what I received was new in box. As always ymmv

Good luck with your quest, hope this helps.
03-17-2012, 01:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Merci

QuoteOriginally posted by riff Quote
I am in the same situation as you John. I decided to try this DSLR Viewfinder, DSLR EyePiece, Optical Viewfinder - Zacuto Z-Finder as a solution. Similar products are available from Hoodman and LCDVF. ...

Bonjour
riff,

Thanks a lot for the link and your advice/experience(s)... I'll check this link out ASAP!

Merci encore et salut, J
12-11-2012, 09:05 AM   #13

DIY using cut down MX screen

I was finding manual focus on the K5 pretty much impossible and so I used the screen from a very dead MX to make a split field focus screen. All worked fine, but I found that the shim that came with the camera (0.2mm) is too thick and I really need about 0.1mm. For now I have used some insulating tape, but will try to find a better solution in the future.

What is interesting is that the MX and K5 screens were the same thickness, and it became clear to me when doing tests that the focus point in the viewfinder was just as off with the original screen... which explained why no matter how carefully I focused in the viewfinder I was always slightly off. The AF is accurate.

So it appears that since it is an AF camera, Pentax not only feel that the factory screen does not need to be useful to manual focusing needs, but they don't even need to make the calibration of the screen particularly good. I wonder how much of the problem people have with manual focusing is down to this?
12-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #14
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by frstep Quote
What is interesting is that the MX and K5 screens were the same thickness,
As measured with a micrometer or caliper, or just compared side-by-side?
12-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
As measured with a micrometer or caliper, or just compared side-by-side?
With a (not a terribly good) vernier caliper - both measured at 1.2mm. I guess a .1mm error could have been made.

But all my best efforts at focusing with the original screen suggested that I was out by about the same amount as with the MX screen.