Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
So....How Long Does The Battery on a K-5 Take to Charge 1st Time?

Just got my K-5 in the mail tonight and have been charging it for at least four hours now, the suspense is killing me. It is sitting there on the counter top looking at me and begging me to pick it up and take some shots. Oh the agony!

03-15-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I put mine in the charger and went to bed, so don't know. I vaguely remember 6 hours being mentioned a few times around here.

The charger is not quick. I have a second battery and swap them out whenever I remember. They last quite a while.
03-15-2012, 06:45 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
5-6 hours ish, every time. Takes way too long!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yeh I believe its 5-6 hours as adam said.

Although it is painful be thankful you don't have those quick charge systems that only take an hour. From what I understand quick charge reduces the usage life of batteries a lot quicker than a slow (or trickle) charge method.

03-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone, right when I posted this I looked over to the charger and it is charged, now I am upgrading the firmware
03-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BirdDude007 Quote
Thanks everyone, right when I posted this I looked over to the charger and it is charged, now I am upgrading the firmware
Congratulations. I'm charging two right now myself. It is slow, particularly when you really, really, want to use the camera for the first time

Hope you're having a ball with High ISO and other fun things this evening!
03-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I was going to try it out now that it is all set up with a charged battery, and firmware upgrade, and going through the menus adjusting things like I had them on the K-x, but now I have way too much overload from all the features, gonna have to spend some quality time with the manual before I break something. I have taken one sample image and boy am I impressed with this thing!
The K-x is a very capable camera and it will definately play a major part in my photo bag, but this K-5 is awesome! I just love the feel of the camera in my hands, the size is just right for my big hands. I am getting off work early tomorrow and I for sure will be breaking out my old vivitar manual lenses and trying this thing out. Stay tuned for Pics........
So far this thing is worth every penny extra for the upgrade, now I feel like I really have a good chunk of equipment.

03-15-2012, 08:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well I was going to try it out now that it is all set up with a charged battery, and firmware upgrade, and going through the menus adjusting things like I had them on the K-x, but now I have way too much overload from all the features, gonna have to spend some quality time with the manual before I break something. I have taken one sample image and boy am I impressed with this thing!
The K-x is a very capable camera and it will definately play a major part in my photo bag, but this K-5 is awesome! I just love the feel of the camera in my hands, the size is just right for my big hands. I am getting off work early tomorrow and I for sure will be breaking out my old vivitar manual lenses and trying this thing out. Stay tuned for Pics........
So far this thing is worth every penny extra for the upgrade, now I feel like I really have a good chunk of equipment.
Glad you're happy. I've got both the K-x and K-5 and feel the same way you do. Next up - D-BG4

BTW, isn't Comer our near Athens?
03-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote

BTW, isn't Comer our near Athens?
yep, sure is
03-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

yep, sure is
I'm over near Marietta. Thought I remembered that from my UGa days. Have fun with the K-5!
03-15-2012, 10:06 PM   #11
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
Yeh I believe its 5-6 hours as adam said.

Although it is painful be thankful you don't have those quick charge systems that only take an hour. From what I understand quick charge reduces the usage life of batteries a lot quicker than a slow (or trickle) charge method.
Even though the charge time is longer, these batteries last noticeably longer than the ones (Pentax branded) I had for my K20D. I also echo the quick charge thing: I had a quick charger for AA batteries until a couple of years back and it reduced the lives of several of them. It ran hot and heat is the enemy of any battery. After my conversion to a Lacrosse BC-9009 charger and Eneloops, life in the rechargeable world doesn't get much better!
03-15-2012, 10:12 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I bought a used battery from Adorama, along with a bunch of other stuff. Wanted a second one, it was cheap. Pentax brand. I charged it and used it, and the charge seemed to last about 1/3 of the new one I got with my camera. Oh well, I thought, you cheap **** you got what you deserved.

After a few charges and discharges, now I don't remember which is which, they last close to the same. Tells me that the batteries and charger are of good quality.
03-30-2012, 08:00 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Page 50 of the K-5 manual says 390 minutes (6 1/2 hours).

--DragonLord
03-30-2012, 08:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll have to admit that when I got my K-5, I unpacked it partially in the car in the camera store parking lot and plugged the charger & battery into a DC/AC inverter I have so I could start charging the battery on the journey home.

Right after I got home, I then had a Doctor's appointment which involved sitting around for a couple of hours and then grocery shopping with the wife.

By the time all that was done, the battery was almost ready. At least all that activity kept my mind off my new K-5 for a few hours.
03-30-2012, 08:24 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I'll have to admit that when I got my K-5, I unpacked it partially in the car in the camera store parking lot and plugged the charger & battery into a DC/AC inverter I have so I could start charging the battery on the journey home.

Right after I got home, I then had a Doctor's appointment which involved sitting around for a couple of hours and then grocery shopping with the wife.

By the time all that was done, the battery was almost ready. At least all that activity kept my mind off my new K-5 for a few hours.
That's funny, but not as bad as the one post where someone had purchased a battery and charger ahead of time in anticipation of buying the K5 and so had a battery ready when they picked up the K5 We all do weird things relating to our passions.