Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
"Eclipse" fluid is nothing more than pure methyl alcohol = methanol. Doesn't degrade with time. If you want to save some money and you have access to a chemical supply house you can buy reagent grade methanol for less than half the price of the Eclipse fluid. Put a few!! drops on the end of the proper sized pec pad, one swipe accross the sensor, turn the pad over and swipe the other way. Wait about .5 min and test. If the spot is still there repeat but with a new sensor pad.
Instead of a rocket blower I use a foot pump with a small nozzle, I get greater pressure and a longer duration "puff". Foot pumps can be found in most camping supply stores. I got this tip from a professional Nikon repair tech, they use footpumps in their shop.

NaCl(tips from the pros are always nice)H2O
This seems to be a very stubborn spot. I have repeated the pec pad and fluid procedure several times and the spot is still there. I don't have a blower other than canned air right now and have used it very carefully a couple of times. I will get a blower but don't see how it will work in this case after several attempts with the fluid have failed. I really hate the thoughts of having to send it to Pentax to be cleaned because of this one little spot. I wouldn't worry about as much but it is near the top of the frame and will show up in every photo with sky.

After all my attempts to clean it here is another 100% crop at f/11.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by dvest; 03-17-2012 at 12:46 PM.
03-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
I was finally able to see the cause of the spot using a magnifier. I can't tell for sure if it's a speck of dust or possibly a tiny chip in the filter over the sensor. The Eclipse kit hasn't been able to budge it. I'm about ready to just pack it up and send it to Pentax and let them figure out what it is. This sure takes the fun out of getting a new camera.
03-18-2012, 01:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dvest Quote
I see Amazon has a few in stock. At $55 it is more expensive than the cleaning kits I've looked at but if that's what it takes to get rid of this spot it will be money well spent. I'll check into it. Right now I'm just trying to figure out what kind of spot it is so I get the right tool for the job. Thanks.
One can use that kit for removing, the DRY way, nasty specs on lens surfaces, view finder mirrors, pentaprisms and focussing screens, which is handy on assignment 'anywhere', and last but not least, that way one can use it on analogue camera's too!
I emphase DRY because alcohol based liquids are not always that good for lenses (Canada balsam), and when spilled a little in the mechanics of the camera, via the mirror box, then some lubricants can be 'harmed'.
But, perhaps it's just me, I always hated liquids inside the camera...
03-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philippe Quote
One can use that kit for removing, the DRY way, nasty specs on lens surfaces, view finder mirrors, pentaprisms and focussing screens, which is handy on assignment 'anywhere', and last but not least, that way one can use it on analogue camera's too!
I emphase DRY because alcohol based liquids are not always that good for lenses (Canada balsam), and when spilled a little in the mechanics of the camera, via the mirror box, then some lubricants can be 'harmed'.
But, perhaps it's just me, I always hated liquids inside the camera...
I might just try the Pentax kit before sending the camera to Pentax to be repaired. After several attempts with the wet cleaner I can see that is not going to work. The sticky Pentax cleaner might be able to pull the stubborn thing off the sensor. I just hate to spend $55 if it doesn't work. It's going to cost me about $24 to ship it to Pentax and looks like they charge $12 to ship it back so it wouldn't be so expensive if it does work. I would also have it for future cleanings. I really wish I wasn't having to deal with this with a brand new camera.

03-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After all that effort the spot should have come off, time to send it to Pentax IMO.
03-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
After all that effort the spot should have come off, time to send it to Pentax IMO.
You are probably right. Just that I'm going to be on vacation in a couple of weeks and I'm afraid I won't get it back in time. I'm also afraid if I wait too long they won't believe the spot was there when I got the camera and charge me for cleaning or even worse if it turns out to be something other than dust. Other than this issue I love the camera! The spot isn't an issue in many images - mostly in images with sky. Even then it's easy to clone out. I just don't want to have to deal with it the entire time I own the camera.
03-18-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Call Pentax in Arizona and describe the situation, find out what they can do before your vacation if anything.

03-18-2012, 09:54 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This seems to be a very stubborn spot. I have repeated the pec pad and fluid procedure several times and the spot is still there. I don't have a blower other than canned air right now and have used it very carefully a couple of times. I will get a blower but don't see how it will work in this case after several attempts with the fluid have failed. I really hate the thoughts of having to send it to Pentax to be cleaned because of this one little spot. I wouldn't worry about as much but it is near the top of the frame and will show up in every photo with sky.

After all my attempts to clean it here is another 100% crop at f/11.
Hi
I posted this previously but it may be worth repeating.

If you are confronted with crap on you sensor that is seemingly unwilling to be shifted with a wet cleaning procedure it may just simply be a case that the wrong cleaning agent (fluid) is used.

Consider this:

In simple chemistry terms the solubility of a substance is determent by its so-called polarity. Molecules with many polar bonds are soluble in polar solvents. Molecules with none or few polar bonds are soluble in non-polar solvent.

Polar substances for example are water, alcohol or ether. Methanol/Ethanol/Propanol (which are the most common sensor cleaning fluids) are none polar. (I hope I remember this correctly) This simply means that none polar substances can't be solved with polar fluids and vickie versa.

So, not knowing the makeup of the crap on you sensor, you may have to try to solve the problem (pun not intended) by using or experimenting with different fluids.

It seems that your attempt at removing the crap with the none polar fluid was unsuccessful because the crap could be of polar nature. Since water is polar I would get some distilled water, moisten liberally (without dripping) a swipe with it, target the crap, hold the swipe over it for a while to give it a chance to soften and then wipe it off with a gentle swipe. Distilled water will not harm your sensor! (As long as you don't drown it). You can do this several times until everything is clear (Use a new swipe every time). Follow up with a new dry swipe to polish any remnant water of. Distilled water by itself won't leave marks on the AA Filter. Distilled water will still have traces of Magnesium, Calium, Calcium, Chloride, Sulphate, Phosphate in it but they are of such minute level not to be of importance.

If water does not do the trick (the wrong polarity) then try Ethanol, same procedure.

I use 98% pure Ethanol which I buy from the chemist for a Dollar. 100% Ethanol is not possible and the 2% is just water. In fact an open Ethanol bottle will absorb further water from the ambient air. No problems here as the extra "polar water" will help in removing polar crap from the sensor and it also makes it slower evaporating which further helps the cleaning process. In fact I add a wee drop of distilled water to the Ethanol for this purpose.

Good luck. (Actually you don't need luck, as sensor cleaning is a simple task only made important and dangerous sounding by Co's who want to sell you cheap stuff at 2000% inflated prices.) Oh, one more commend: Sensors are (despite what is said about them) incredibly robust. Manufacturers know they have to be cleaned.

Greetings
03-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes, I found your earlier post and tried distilled water. Thanks for the suggestions. Nothing I have tried has budged it at all. Looking at it through a magnifier I can't tell for sure that it is dust. It looks like it could be a defect in the glass filter. Does that happen? I've tried everything I feel I can safely do so I guess I'll send it away to Pentax. I bought my first K-5 over 2 weeks ago and had a couple of issues with it so returned it and exchanged for this replacement. Now it's going to be shipped off and be out of my hands for probably 2-4 weeks. Maybe I'll actually get to use it when I get it back. I'm sure looking forward to it!
03-19-2012, 01:53 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I found your earlier post and tried distilled water. Thanks for the suggestions. Nothing I have tried has budged it at all. Looking at it through a magnifier I can't tell for sure that it is dust. It looks like it could be a defect in the glass filter. Does that happen? I've tried everything I feel I can safely do so I guess I'll send it away to Pentax. I bought my first K-5 over 2 weeks ago and had a couple of issues with it so returned it and exchanged for this replacement. Now it's going to be shipped off and be out of my hands for probably 2-4 weeks. Maybe I'll actually get to use it when I get it back. I'm sure looking forward to it!

Hi

Most peculiar, I have never heard of a faulty AA filter being shipped like this. But then there is always the first time isn't there. I'll be interested, if they tell you, to hear from you what went wrong. Good luck and speedy recovery.

Greetings
03-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
I bought the camera from ProDigital 2000 off ebay. They are also known as Carman's FotoSource in Canada. After letting them know the situation they immediately offered to exchange the camera for me and even pay shipping both ways.or ship expedited to me at the normal rate. I cannot speak highly enough of these people. Very nice, honest and helpful people - especially Danielle! They have earned my future business, Whenever I can purchase from them I will. I shipped the camera back to them today and hope to have a replacement early next week. Thanks to everyone for your help and suggestions. I'm sure they will come in handy in the future for me and others who might need sensor cleaning help.