Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 10:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are we likely to see a successor to the K-5 soon?

With all the focus on the K-01 recently, and the heightened speculation about the possibility of a 35mm FF Pentax body (in September, if the speculation is true), the matter of a successor to the K-5 seems to have slipped from the forefront of many people's thinking. Let me clearly state up front that I doubt a successor will be the mooted FF camera, if only because of the gap that would leave in the K-mount line-up, which the K-01 doesn't fill, for all its strengths.

Of course, it's hard to think of a successor to the K-5 without consideration of the K-r, since both cameras are now out of production. There is, I suppose, a possibility that the K-01 may be regarded as the K-r's successor, but I would hope that isn't the case, as I believe the target market segments for those two are somewhat different.

What has got me thinking about this is the recent spate of K-5 specials that have been announced, including the recent K-5 Limited Silver edition and the US $300 rebate, which seem to be ways of clearing stock in time for a new product launch. I haven't seen similar specials for the K-r, but being a lower-priced entry-level product, it probably doesn't need the same level of push that the K-5 does.

So, what do we think about an announcement date for a K-5 successor? There's been speculation or expressions of hope for some time (probably since the K-5 was first announced) about features, but not the timing of a replacement camera. Photokina in September is the obvious event at which to announce new gear, but, if the rumoured FF body is announced then, the K-5 replacement (assuming there is going to be one) would be somewhat in the shadow of that. What does that leave as a suitable event for a launch, or would it be a stand-alone launch? Also, would stocks of the K-5 be exhausted before that date? There are clearly a number of factors to consider.

03-16-2012, 11:24 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
since both cameras are now out of production
The K-5 is in production and will stay on sale through 12/2012.

You will see at least two more new bodies this year. The K-01 does not replace anything. It is a new line of cameras.
03-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

No...
03-17-2012, 12:21 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This should start getting very interesting as we hit the summertime

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-17-2012, 03:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

You will see at least two more new bodies this year. The K-01 does not replace anything. It is a new line of cameras.
What Monochrome said +1.
03-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the rebates and incentive offers are a result of the company now being owned by someone who understand elementary marketing techniques. Good start Ricoh!
03-17-2012, 04:06 AM   #7
Banned

Well I expected a K-r replacement first. Maybe even in two months. Probably something like K-01 but then with a mirror. For K-5 replacement I think we have to wait until PhotoKina. This needs to be a better camera then K-5 so that takes some extra time for developing these improvements.
  • New AF module
  • New processing engine (he that is already there with K-01)
  • New AWB and metering
  • Maybe a new sensor, but my guess is we stick with 16 megapixel)

03-17-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Maybe with the summer we might see a Kr replacement, if i need to guess then i think they will keep the body the same but put in the K-01 hardware.
This make would make production and development quite cheap. I do hope they will "fix" the AF with the new models.

The k5 successor will most likely come with photokina, at least i hope so.
Unlike Ron i think they will go for the 24MP sony sensor, they will need to make the camera "better" looking then the Kr and K-01 of course.
03-17-2012, 04:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I would guess we will see an announcement in September and shipping in time for Christmas. Sony is rumored to have a new 18MP APS-C sensor in the works, and it is possible we see an improved version or second generation of the 24MP sensor. I think the new Silver K-5 release indicates Pentax is buying some time on the product release cycle. There is nothing really wrong with the K-5 (other than some AF issues), and no reason to replace it until Canon and Nikon have released their 7DII and D400 respectively. Sony is on a crazy product cycle with new bodies every couple of months with minor revisions.
03-17-2012, 06:12 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote

If that's the case, then I stand corrected on the K-5, although I thought I made it clear that I wouldn't have regarded the K-01 as being in the same market segment as the K-r, but we'll see how that turns out as sales progress. By two new bodies, then I presume you mean the K-r successor and a 35mm FF sensor camera.

Still, if the K-5 stays on sale beyond December 2012, it will be more than two years old by then, and no doubt looking like it. Don't mis-interpret me on the K-5 - I have had one since December 2010 and regard it highly, but things move on.

Looks like we have to wait until Photokina, then.
03-17-2012, 06:31 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photokina is in september and if the K-01 was indication how fast it can go then hopefully we might see the new camera end oktober hopefully so during novemeber the can nicely sell the new camera for christmas =]
03-17-2012, 06:57 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I'd take a gamble and say probably not. Usually, companies upsell products halfway through their lifespan, and considering the $300 discount that has been going on since December, I'd like to think we've just reached the halfway point.

As far as improvements go though, I'd love to see them make the pop-up flash be made of Alloy as well. Everything else has already been suggested it would appear.

P.S. Willing to take a gamble and say that more than likely, the sensor will indeed change. Maybe not to the 24MP Anvh mentions, as that would oust most FF Cameras for resolution.(Which would be absurd, to say the least), but at least an 18MP sensor, to make it more "Competitive" in the pixel count area against the Canon APS-C Models.

All I know for sure is, won't bother upgrading unless they make something immensely better about it. Quite happy with my K-5
03-17-2012, 10:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

If sony comes with a 18MP sensor then that would be very nice, i don't need 24MP anyway and from test it isn't any better then the 16mp so...
But what i'm trying to say is that if the K-01 and the new KR will have 16mp sensor then the new Pentax flagship will probably have a higher count simply to make it look better from a marketing point.
I didn't know sony had a 18mp in the making, that's why i said the 24mp since sony is already using that one in the NEX-7.

To make the comparison fair two NEX and Pentax. de 16mp in de NEX 5 should be roughly the same model as the K5 so if they can boost the 24MP model just as much.
But if the 18mp model is even better... exciting times, maybe it can break the 15ev dynamic range =]
DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side
03-17-2012, 10:54 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Maybe we'll see a K-5a, same body and sensor, but with the updated engine, improved focus, UHS card support, and a fully functional movie mode. Something that can take 40 shots without slowing down.
03-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adam Quote
this should start getting very repetitious as we hit the summertime
ftfy.