Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 02:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does the 1.13 update contain the previous ones?

Or do we have to update one-by-one?

03-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AFAIK Pentax does not post delta updates. They update the entire firmware with each update.
03-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Latest includes all fixes.
03-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Moderators, how about a firmware update sticky to answer the questions that come up over and over each time a new firmware comes out? Like the above question, where do I copy the firmware file, how do I update the firmware, how do I check the current version, etc. This would be VERY helpful.

03-19-2012, 12:31 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Na, the fewer stickys the better. They are just dead space that needs to be scrolled away once you read them.
03-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Na, the fewer stickys the better. They are just dead space that needs to be scrolled away once you read them.
So, you would rather see the forums clogged up with "how do I..." every time a new firmware comes out? This makes absolutely no sense.
03-19-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A sticky for such FAQ would be great! IMHO.

03-19-2012, 01:45 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
So, you would rather see the forums clogged up with "how do I..." every time a new firmware comes out? This makes absolutely no sense.
Actually yes. They pop up, get a quick answer and fades away. No problem.
But you rather want them to be posted at the top of the forum all day all year. How is that better?
03-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Make FAQ articles?
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got my K-5 last week and when I went to Pentax to do the firware upgrade I noticed they didn't have any earlier versions so I assumed that they just included all that I need in the one download........I was right, the upgrade went just fine without a hitch
03-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #11

Oh what the heck....some of you already know that I'm pretty non technical about my cameras so I'll outright ask.

What is firmware? Why does it need updating or upgrading? Do I have to buy it? Where would I buy it from?

I have never done anything like that in several years of owning Pentax gear (started with a K10 when they were new!)
03-19-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Firmware is the code that runs the camera. I don't know for the older models, but the K-5 got quite a few sweets along the way.
Latest K-5 Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

You don't REALLY need to update but it's free and always was.
03-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by canajuneh Quote
Oh what the heck....some of you already know that I'm pretty non technical about my cameras so I'll outright ask.

What is firmware? Why does it need updating or upgrading? Do I have to buy it? Where would I buy it from?

I have never done anything like that in several years of owning Pentax gear (started with a K10 when they were new!)
Firmware is the "operating system" software of your camera. In a computer, this would be Windows or Mac OS X. In a camera, it's simply the firmware.

Newer firmware versions generally fix problems in the operation of the camera and sometimes will add new features. It's a good idea to keep firmware up-to-date as a general rule. It is not mandatory, but you may be missing out on fixes and potential new features if you never update.

The K-5 firmware has been updated a number of times and has brought both a number of significant fixes and new features.