Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2012, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still On the Fence?....Why?

Maybe you need to look at this or if you have, look again?
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/179182-maybe-you-better-loook-around.html

I'm not selling K5s, I'm not even a fanboy, I have some problems with Pentax really...(who doesn't?) but I look around every day and read tons of owner reviews of the various new cameras and a lot of what I read is not encouraging......even for cameras costing almost twice as much. Most of the problems I see are non-existent in the K5, and then when you start looking at the IQ, it just isn't anything more special that what I get from my K5 on a regular basis.....it just isn't!
When I got my K5 a year ago, I felt like it was pretty much my dream camera, and nothing has changed my view since then. If there is something better out there for the low price now being offered...or even as good, I haven't seen it or anything close to it. I see more expensive, I see bigger and heavier, I see smaller and less capable with a ton of faults that are not acceptable to me, but better......nope, still don't see better.

That's how I see it, you have a connection like I do, look around, you are going to see the same thing I've seen. If you are serious about upgrading, this looks like the time to do it to me. All those great Spring and Summer shooting opportunities are almost upon us, and the K5 can take advantage of every one of them, I guarantee!
Regards!

03-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-5's definitely not getting any worse just because it's old- and it's definitely Pentax's best K-mount SLR to date IMO! BTW, the $300 instant rebate is expiring at the end of this month, according to my contacts. This means that soon, the price of the K-5 (at least in the US) will go up to $1299 and likely stay there!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I bought a K-5 during the Cyber Monday deal and the auto focus was way off(at F/5.6), especially with AF-C. My K20D made it look bad and the K20D isn't known for AF-C. It scared me off and I returned the camera, but with the recent price drop and all the continued love I read for the K-5 I gave it another shot and reordered one. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with it this time. If I get a bad one I'll just have them exchange it. I know I'm not going to buy the K-3 or the elusive Full Frame when they come out(need a price drop). The K-5 is a camera I can live with for years I'm sure. I'm really hoping for a Pentax camera without an AA filter soon though.
03-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

03-24-2012, 12:19 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Until now I made more than 29,400 shots with my K5 and I am so happy with it, I think I will mary it

Last edited by fs999; 04-06-2012 at 06:55 AM.
03-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm itching to get one to replace my K-7. I'm just waiting to see what is next in the pipeline before I make a decision.
03-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
I'm itching to get one to replace my K-7. I'm just waiting to see what is next in the pipeline before I make a decision.
....whatever it is won't be $999, and it won't likely be anytime soon. Just saying....Summer is upon us, and the K5 loves all that Summertime fun!

I'm even enjoying the tiny Spring weeds in my yard with the K5.......

Wild onions
[IMG] [/IMG]

Regards!

03-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Col
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
....whatever it is won't be $999, and it won't likely be anytime soon. Just saying....Summer is upon us, and the K5 loves all that Summertime fun!

I'm even enjoying the tiny Spring weeds in my yard with the K5.......

Wild onions

Regards!
Trying to make us cry? Still very glad I'm not one of the million awaiting the D800. Not only could it take up to a year to arrive... there's a price increase already.

Now if Pentax could provide a FF queue jump for just 100,000 of those waitng...
03-24-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, not on the fence... the K-5 looks wonderful, but my K-x does almost everything the K-5 does...

If my K-x were to unfortunately meet with a fatal mishap and I couldn't kind a new one to replace it, however, I might have to Hi-5!
03-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I made my play with the K-01. Damn. But I really do have trouble using a VF. Damn. I want a K-5. Damn.

Damn damn damn.
03-24-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I'm not really interested in making anyone purchase a K5.....they might already have all they need. It's just the fence sitters that I think need to ask themselves if this isn't an excellent time to make the leap. If you are looking at what's new out there, as I have, the K5 is still looking like the camera to beat, and now is a perfect time to begin enjoying it. If there was something better I think I would have spotted it by now....and I haven't. D800? Sure, it's a fine camera and FF, but they are not giving them away, and by the time some get one, you could have been enjoying that K5 for a long time!

Regards!
03-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice Wild onion. I found one in our Bluebonnet patch, along with a very tiny purple flower. So windy they wouldn't stay still, so the answer to sharpness was blowin' in the wind last week. But I liked the K-5 results anyway. K-5, SMC-M 100 macro, 50mm extension, tabletop tripod.
Name:  Wild Onion 1.jpg
Views: 1018
Size:  337.1 KB
Name:  Tiny Purple 2.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  319.1 KB
03-24-2012, 04:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, I just bricked my K7 while doing a FW upgrade. Most likely due to a corrupted file. If I did not already have access to a K5, I would be ordering one ASAP.
03-24-2012, 06:17 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I want a K-5. Damn.

Damn damn damn.
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Nonetheless, I keep thinking that my desire for a new camera (Pentax, of course) is simply the umpteenth manifestation of my midlife crisis during the past 15, or so, years. If I just walked away from my computer for a month or two and stopped looking at pictures of (and by) Pentax cameras, I might snap out of this obsession, once and for all. Ha??????
03-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Welfl Quote
Nonetheless, I keep thinking that my desire for a new camera (Pentax, of course) is simply the umpteenth manifestation of my midlife crisis during the past 15, or so, years. If I just walked away from my computer for a month or two and stopped looking at pictures of (and by) Pentax cameras, I might snap out of this obsession, once and for all. Ha??????
Midlife isn't the only crisis. I went over 20 years without buying a camera, content with my old film Leicas and Pentax. Then I retired, and heard about the Leica M9 when I still had my retirement bonus. Then came the K-5, and... Well, I don't have my bonus anymore.