Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
My last week purchased K-5 had a manufactuar date of januari 2012 and shuttercount 0.

03-27-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When I got mine It was 0 shutter count, and I had to assemble the strap rings and set up the time , date etc.....
03-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #18
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I just bought my K5 from Adorama. It arrived yesterday. As excited as I am, I am wondering if this is a restocked item. The camera looks in good condition. But, when I put the battery in and turned the camera it already had the right language and date and time was set. Some of the default settings were changed. I put a formatted card in and took a snap, the file number was 100-2110. Also the triangle lug attachments came installed. Is that standard? I only had about 5-10 minutes to look at the camera this morning so there may be other things wrong. I am wondering what others have experienced. Would you send the camera back?

Also, not to start a thread for this but is the Sensor Stain still an issue I should be looking for? How can I tell? I don't know how to tell when my camera was made. I know the plate still says the it is a Hoya corporation and not Ricoh. This may not mean anything. Those that bought a new K5 recently, does yours say Hoya or RIcoh?

Thanks.
Be sure to format the SD card using the K5 not your computer.

Last edited by SuperK5; 03-27-2012 at 06:12 PM.
03-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
After reading this I checked on my new K-5. Same thing, the first picture I took with it was number 2587, and the memory card doesn't come out very easy, you have to tug it to get it out. It made me wonder if someone else had returned it. So shortly after reading this thread I sent an email to Henry's, and they phoned back a few minutes later, to ask me to return it. If I lived in an urban area they would have driven to my house to do the exchange.. since I don't I've arranged to do the swap at their Barrie store in a few days.
Use the "pop out" method to remove the SD card. Push the SD card down and then snap your finger out of the way. The card will pop out past the point of getting snagged but not fly all the way out of the camera.

03-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #20
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the reply. I used the program here and found that the camera was manufactured 2011.08.09 ( I presume August 9th by European format) and had 59 previous shots. It has become clear this was a returned camera. I wish I knew why. The thing is it appears in good shape. I wonder if it is worth returning. 4-5 days return and then they have 8 days to process plus the 4-5 days return trip to me. I guess if I could be certain that the next K5 was in fact new it might make sense. But, I might just end up with another returned item with a higher shutter count or other. So what would you do knowing the manufactured date and shutter count?

Also, What type of Warranty card did you all receive? Here is the only thing that came in the box that looks close (though it says that it is not a Warranty card). I looked at my Kx and I think this was all I got.

Name:  IMGP2119.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  153.0 KB

The serial number does match up.
03-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Well, if the shutter count was 59 out of the box, there were no visible usage marks on the body and everything seems to work properly, I would probably keep it. Although I would let the shop know, perhaps they will give you a discount on your next purchase or something.

By the way, European date format typically means the day is before the month, so 08.09 would be 8th of September. But, if the camera has been set up in the US and connected to a computer using US regional formats, your date of 9th of August would be correct.
03-28-2012, 05:57 AM   #22
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
Well, if the shutter count was 59 out of the box, there were no visible usage marks on the body and everything seems to work properly, I would probably keep it. Although I would let the shop know, perhaps they will give you a discount on your next purchase or something.

By the way, European date format typically means the day is before the month, so 08.09 would be 8th of September. But, if the camera has been set up in the US and connected to a computer using US regional formats, your date of 9th of August would be correct.
That is what I was thinking. Ironically, I wanted to get the K5 so I could adjust all my lenses if needed. Now after a brief use I see that they all look just right. Do you know if the card in my picture is all you get? I thought there was something more. If not then I won't worry.

re the date: yeah I honestly had to google what is done in other countries. I am just used to the MM/DD/year format. Looking at the EXIF info of the actual picture it recorded a date of 12:03:27. So I guess it is year:month:date on my camera.

Mark

03-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Looking at the EXIF info of the actual picture it recorded a date of 12:03:27. So I guess it is year:month:date on my camera.
Not trying to confuse things even more, but that could be three minutes and twenty-seven seconds after noon.
03-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #24
Veteran Member

That is what I was thinking. Ironically, I wanted to get the K5 so I could adjust all my lenses if needed. Now after a brief use I see that they all look just right. Do you know if the card in my picture is all you get? I thought there was something more. If not then I won't worry.
I don't recall there being anything else than that card and manual, if I can remember where I put my box I'll take a look. I believe I saved all the packing material.
03-28-2012, 07:15 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Not trying to confuse things even more, but that could be three minutes and twenty-seven seconds after noon.
Could be, but not stored in the date field
03-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Could be, but not stored in the date field
Whoops, missed that one
03-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #27
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't recall there being anything else than that card and manual, if I can remember where I put my box I'll take a look. I believe I saved all the packing material.
Thanks. I appreciate everyone's help. I know these 'hand-holding threads' can be a bore. But, $1000 is not a small purchase at least for me. Did you have to install the triangular clips to the strap lugs? I am seeing some saying they installed it and Ole said that it comes installed. I am starting to think these must have been installed. The strap back clearly has not been opened. If I was considering trying out a camera and possibly returning it, I don't think I would worry about the strap mounts. Either way, I won't worry about that. If the camera works and is not scratched, I may just keep it.

Thanks,
Mark
03-28-2012, 03:23 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My K-5 had the triangular clips already installed when received (and counter was 0)

Based on the serial # your camera seems a recent product. I do not believe a decent seller like Adorama sells a return camera with reported issue. Personally I would not care about 59 shots (it's half an hour playing with the camera, ain't it?) and if it's working fine with no sign, I would just enjoy it!

Congrats on your new toy (or its replacement) anyhow :○)
03-28-2012, 08:16 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Thanks everyone for the reply. I used the program here and found that the camera was manufactured 2011.08.09 ( I presume August 9th by European format) and had 59 previous shots. It has become clear this was a returned camera. I wish I knew why. The thing is it appears in good shape. I wonder if it is worth returning. 4-5 days return and then they have 8 days to process plus the 4-5 days return trip to me. I guess if I could be certain that the next K5 was in fact new it might make sense. But, I might just end up with another returned item with a higher shutter count or other. So what would you do knowing the manufactured date and shutter count?

Also, What type of Warranty card did you all receive? Here is the only thing that came in the box that looks close (though it says that it is not a Warranty card). I looked at my Kx and I think this was all I got.

Attachment 122467

The serial number does match up.
I believe you have to call up your authorized retailer to initiate warranty service... Another good reason to buy from a reputable seller.
03-30-2012, 02:48 PM   #30
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I decided to keep it. It seems like a nice copy.