Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pero Quote
Ok... I feel incredibly, utterly stupid right now... You're right of course! Thanks a lot, you saved me an embarrasing moment at my camera dealer tomorrow! Though the guy who sold me the converter will hear about this...

(Sneaks out the back door, hoping no one will notice...)
That must be a HUGE relief for ya. Phew.

03-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
LOL..Yep, I thought it was the teleconverter that failed...I was just too slow to respond!
03-27-2012, 12:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awwwww That is sooooo funny lol lol lol
Look on the bright side... your camera is good though.
That would have been the straw that broke the donkeys back, with K5s buttons falling off lol
Glad for you and I bet everyone using big lenses will be very happy and wiping sweat off there brow right now lol
03-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Ok... I feel incredibly, utterly stupid right now... You're right of course! Thanks a lot, you saved me an embarrasing moment at my camera dealer tomorrow! Though the guy who sold me the converter will hear about this...

(Sneaks out the back door, hoping no one will notice...)
You might want to check for loose bits in your mirror box though. It looks like some screws sheared off.

03-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #20
Banned

Photos: Gallery
Yup, be careful that there are no parts left in your mirrorbox, since then you won't have any access to garantee when things brake down.
03-27-2012, 01:03 PM - 1 Like   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
You might want to check for loose bits in your mirror box though. It looks like some screws sheared off.
Good idea. It seems to be alright though, I hear no rattling when shaking it. Except the from the sensor of course. Wait a minute... Help! My sensor's loose!!!
03-27-2012, 01:54 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I wonder what the seller will say

03-27-2012, 02:27 PM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I wonder what the seller will say
I got it cheap so didn't expect much. Though I didn't expect it to fall apart... Upon checking it seems that only one of four tiny screws fastening the mount to the converter itself was in place. No wonder it broke. I'll relay any comments from the seller later.
03-27-2012, 03:29 PM   #24
Col
Veteran Member

I got it cheap so didn't expect much. Though I didn't expect it to fall apart... Upon checking it seems that only one of four tiny screws fastening the mount to the converter itself was in place. No wonder it broke. I'll relay any comments from the seller later.
Glad to hear you've got the final analysis, my first impression was you had the next Marc Newson pancake lens.
03-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I am sorry for thinking you dropped the camera although I was not going to write it. I thought how in the H... can the lens mount just drop off the camera. Its a metal mount screwed into the polycarbonate mirror housing with about 5 screws. Even 2 or 3 screws should have been good enough for your situation. I just could not picture all 5 screws just pulling out of the body with no force other than the weight of the lens. Just not going to happen in my book. So I thought "what did he really do" lol

Good for you. Yes a lot of us have those panic moments and times with are photography gear.
03-28-2012, 12:16 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Col Quote
my first impression was you had the next Marc Newson pancake lens.
Hmm. Maybe I should convert the converter into a pinhole lens and start a designing career?
03-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Hmm. Maybe I should convert the converter into a pinhole lens and start a designing career?
Don't forget to attach a stove pipe to it for no apparent reason.
03-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Don't forget to attach a stove pipe to it for no apparent reason.
Actually there is a reason. Have you seen the stripped K-01? There is a motor in the pipe, probably controlling the aperture level.

Last edited by Gimbal; 03-28-2012 at 01:53 AM.
03-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I am sorry for thinking you dropped the camera although I was not going to write it. I thought how in the H... can the lens mount just drop off the camera. Its a metal mount screwed into the polycarbonate mirror housing with about 5 screws. Even 2 or 3 screws should have been good enough for your situation. I just could not picture all 5 screws just pulling out of the body with no force other than the weight of the lens. Just not going to happen in my book. So I thought "what did he really do" lol

Good for you. Yes a lot of us have those panic moments and times with are photography gear.
I haven't seen pics of a stripped K-5 with associated parts, but since it has a stainless steel frame inside, I would bet that the lensmount is actually attached to the steel frame, not polycarbonate. Come to think of it, that would be a terrible design choice, when the steel frame is there. Something like the lensmount takes some abuse over the lifetime of a camera, especially when changing lenses a lot.
03-28-2012, 06:04 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Actually there is a reason. Have you seen the stripped K-01? There is a motor in the pipe, probably controlling the aperture level.
This serves the same purpose as the bump found in the 10-o'clock position around the mount on the K-5: it contains an aperture control motor.

--DragonLord

Last edited by bwDraco; 03-28-2012 at 06:26 AM.