Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
Inactive Account

After one week of use with the K-5: I love it!

Well the K-5 is delivering everything I wanted to do with a camera. It's fast, it's sharp and has a nice dynamic range. I love how I can turn off noise reductions and other corrections and still have low noise with sharp pictures. Ow and TaV is the best thing ever invented!
I did find the need for a battery grip, the K-5 isn't bulky or very large for a DSLR, so adding bigger lenses felt a bit off-center and rather small, so I suggest a batterygrip: perfect for vertical shots and that little extra weight helps for bigger lenses. If you don't need WR, just get a chinese grip and you're good to go .
I've upgraded my K-5 with some bits and pieces: K-5 S TYPE Focusing Screen (AF Frame/Grid) << Such an improvement over the original one, Batterygrip, Tenpa 1.36x Viewfinder, Seculine Action Level Cross Digital Spirit , ACMAXX 3.0 HARD LCD ARMOR PROTECTOR.

I always used Canon: 300D, 50D and was fairly happy with it, but I sold my gear and now I wanted to try something different, so I took the Pentax.
Only thing I find a bit negative is not really the camera, but other photographers here in Belgium. Canon and Nikon is all you ever see here, so when I enter with a Pentax I get laughed at because yea Canikon are "the best". But that soon ends when I talk about the features and show them the low iso performance... I hate ignorant people like that!
All in all the camera is great and I prefer it over what I've used in the past, it's really a camera that feels great for me and in the end it's the picture that counts, not the gear..

Some pictures of my K-5 (Just for the lols of it)
:

Some pictures I took the very first week I had my K-5:

...more to see on my flickr

I just wanted to share this because I love the K-5 and I'm eager to see what Pentax will bring us in the future.

Last edited by Vorture; 03-28-2012 at 03:52 AM.
03-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That first portrait picture has quite a quality to it, I cannot describe!

And your k-5 looks absolutely fantastic with that eyepiece and strap. I need to get that eyepiece when I get my k-5!
03-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
That first portrait picture has quite a quality to it, I cannot describe!

And your k-5 looks absolutely fantastic with that eyepiece and strap. I need to get that eyepiece when I get my k-5!
Thanks! At the moment I used the Tenpa smaller Cup, the bigger cup like on the picture was a bit to "Grand" for me haha.
I only use the big cup when I'm in direct sunlight. But it's a great addition to the K-5, especially when you use manual focus.
03-27-2012, 12:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Aha, good to know - I'm left-eyed, so having a cup that sticks out will help keep my LCD screen nose-grease free.

May I ask what lens you used for that first portrait of the man?

03-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Aha, good to know - I'm left-eyed, so having a cup that sticks out will help keep my LCD screen nose-grease free.

May I ask what lens you used for that first portrait of the man?
I used a Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro DI. Indeed I also use my left eye so it's great to keep your LCD Grease free.
Only "funny" problem I have being left-eyed is, I always breathe trough my nose, so when I take a picture and look at the screen, I think: wait it's out of focus?!!! Oh no it's just damp on my LCD..
03-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks, I had that lens and sold it - it did exceptional portraits!
03-27-2012, 01:07 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, I had that lens and sold it - it did exceptional portraits!
Indeed, I had it on my canon gear and got accustomed to use it. I just bought a new one for the Pentax, just to take portraits and I'm not like in their face to take their picture..
I love the bokeh quality and for the price it works great. It's a tad noisy but that just something I can live with and it gets the job done.

03-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax fold! Those are wonderful shots in your post and the first portrait is just awesome!

As far as being the only one with the Pentax gear. I take that as a badge of pride. For example, I was on a shoot last weekend with a dozen other photogs and sure enough, I was the only one with the Pentax gear. As it was raining heavily, I was also the only one with out any plastic bag over my camera and lens too, another badge of pride. Ware it well.
03-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Welcome to the Pentax fold! Those are wonderful shots in your post and the first portrait is just awesome!

As far as being the only one with the Pentax gear. I take that as a badge of pride. For example, I was on a shoot last weekend with a dozen other photogs and sure enough, I was the only one with the Pentax gear. As it was raining heavily, I was also the only one with out any plastic bag over my camera and lens too, another badge of pride. Ware it well.

Thank you! The Pentax Pride is slowly increasing everyday!
03-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

We drench our cameras for the lulz of others' stares.
03-27-2012, 01:53 PM   #11
Pentaxian

C'est super ... et merci

Bonsoir,

Thanks for your post and do you really like the different focusing screen? I am thinking about changing mine, but haven't quite decided yet ...

I think that I should invest in some armour, too.

Salut, John le Frog
03-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice photos. I really like the strap.

I now own two K5s. For a long time I was using a K7 to back up my K5, but I got tired of dealing with my wife making with the K5 and leaving me with the K7, so this settled it.
03-27-2012, 02:09 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonsoir,

Thanks for your post and do you really like the different focusing screen? I am thinking about changing mine, but haven't quite decided yet ...

I think that I should invest in some armour, too.

Salut, John le Frog
It's the best investment I made so far for the camera. It's just so much clearer than the standard one, it also shows depth of field better imo and you can see better if your subject is focused or not.
I've chosen the S Type with AF field and grid, the lines aren't printed on the glas, they are translucent and let more light trough, so they are nice to use. I really hated those "fine" black lines on the original K-5 focusscreen.
03-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
Pentaxian

OK - thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Vorture Quote
It's the best investment I made so far for the camera. It's just so much clearer than the standard one, it also shows depth of field better imo and you can see better if your subject is focused or not.
I've chosen the S Type with AF field and grid, the lines aren't printed on the glas, they are translucent and let more light trough, so they are nice to use. I really hated those "fine" black lines on the original K-5 focusscreen.
Bonsoir Vorture,

Merci encore ... and I'll check this out soon.

A+, J
03-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Yeah, I love the camera. But you reminded me of that I need a new strap, the original one sucks.