Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2012, 01:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

SD Card

Just bought a K5, getting to grips with it slowly but would like to know which is the best SD card [32GB or larger] to buy to cope with both RAW/JPEG images and using the movie feature.

Concerned that I buy a card that will stop while catpuring the movie to send to memory.

Your experiences please.

Martin

03-28-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With SD cards, the fastest ones on the market at the UHS-I speed class sd cards. Such cards include the Sandisk Extreme Pro series and the Panasonic Gold series. Unfortunately however, the K-5 is unable to take full advantage of UHS-I speeds, so you won't notice any difference in speed between a high-end class 10 card such as the Sandisk Extreme HD Video and a UHS-I card. Long story short, go for this:
Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme 32GB SDHC Flash Memory Card SDSDX-032G-X46,Black: Electronics

however, if you demand a card with even more storage capacity than 32gb, you should look into SDXC (eXpanded Capicity) cards, such as this:
http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-SDXC-Flash-Memory-LSD128CRBNA133/dp/B004SAMZW4/r...925000&sr=1-14
03-28-2012, 02:00 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
It seems all of the current Pentax cameras only write at 30MB/s, which is Class 10 speed. The advantage of UHS cards such as the Sandisk Extreme Pro, is the read speed, if you have a USB3/Firewire card reader, to copy stuff off the card faster. If you're not concerned about import time, then any Class 10 card is fine, to save a few dollars.
03-28-2012, 03:31 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I've been using a 16GB Sandisk Ultra class 6 since I got my K-5, and it's pretty responsive. Note that Sandisk claims 20MB/s for this card versus the "official" rated speed of 6MB/s, not sure where the truth lies.

I just ordered a new Transcend 32GB class 10, so we shall see if there is any real world difference. The Transcend cards are very popular here, they known to be as good as the big boys and deliver on their rated speeds. And they are much more budget friendly.

03-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll get lots of preferences on cards, all I can say is that the objective research indicates that several brands really do work better over the long haul.

Try these threads:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/170319-maximum-useful-sd-card-speed.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/171570-sd...y-new-k-r.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/169362-sd-card-better-deal.html
03-28-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member

B&H and Adorama have the Sandisk ultra 64gb SDXC cards for about $60, great price for those right now!
03-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Video needs a fast card,
Class 6 and the sandisk ultra are fine for photos but not video.
Also class 10 are not fast enough at least not all cards labelled that. Class 10 means the minium speed is 10MB/s USH-I starts at 45MB/s so there is a gap in the rating.
So you need a fast class 10 card.

I use 2x 16GB and that suites my use but 32GB should work well as well, 64GB can also do, i don't see why not.

03-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the adivce and the link.

Martin
03-28-2012, 06:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I have been using several brands - all class 10 (Sandisk, Wintech, and Transcend) and have had no problems with any of them, though my default is the more expensive Sandisk Extreme.

For I what it is worth I prefer several smaller (16GB) cards. My reasoning is that I suspect any failures are most likely to occur when first inserting the card, or when removing the card (removing too quickly, or other reason). In the first case I probably have no pictures on it, and I then I will have multiple other cards. In the latter case, I risk loosing all the picures on the card, but the maximum number of pictures potentially lost are less on the smaller card. I of course increase the risk of failure by having multiple cards, so pick your poison.

For me it is somewhat academic, as I only rearely have exceed the capacity (460 pictures) of a single card on a single shoot (I don't do much movie taking).
03-28-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thegrasshopper Quote
Just bought a K5, getting to grips with it slowly but would like to know which is the best SD card [32GB or larger] to buy to cope with both RAW/JPEG images and using the movie feature.

Concerned that I buy a card that will stop while catpuring the movie to send to memory.

Your experiences please.

Martin
My experience is following:
  1. Continuous shooting in RAW requires more tada throughput than video.
  2. K-5 can't write faster than 20MB/s
  3. Lexar Professional and Sandisk Extreme cards are able to write at higher speeds than their speed class suggest, i.e. I have Lexar and Sandisk Class 6 cards, that manage to write 16-17MB/s in K-5.
  4. Cheap brands usually write just as fast as their speed class suggest.
Would I be in your place, I would get either Class 10 Lexar Professional or Sandisk Extreme. There's no need to pay more for UHS-I card as K-5 does not support UHS-I and will not benefit from it.
03-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
[*]K-5 can't write faster than 20MB/s
Well it might be able to write faster but the total output of the camera is not faster so no gain to be make.
03-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can anybody confirm that issues with SDXC were solved with the latest firmware upgrade of the K5 ?

And on another note, never put all your eggs in one basket. So rather buy two smaller cards (of minimum required capacity) than one bigger one.
03-28-2012, 07:59 AM   #13
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
Can anybody confirm that issues with SDXC were solved with the latest firmware upgrade of the K5 ?

And on another note, never put all your eggs in one basket. So rather buy two smaller cards (of minimum required capacity) than one bigger one.
I was wondering that too. The firmware states to help with those cards, but didn't see any reports on it. The 32GB cards work fine and can hold a lot (one hour of FullHD movie, 1350 RAW or 3000 jpg).
03-28-2012, 08:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote

I recall someone who had a 64 GB SDXC card posted that the 1.13 update fixed their issues... probably can be found using search but I'm too lazy at the moment...
03-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #15

Speed Test

I did test 3 different SDHC cards with my K5 in High Speed Continuous mode 14 seconds time keeping shoot button down. Results:

- 34 DNG photos with Transcend 8GB class 6 card
- 40 DNG photos with Transcend 32GB class 10 card (20mb/s)
- 44 DNG photos with Sandisk Extreme 16GB (30mb/s)

-> I did buy Transcend 32GB class 10 cards