Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Stage Front focus

My K5 front focuses in low (warm) light. I'm using mostly in stage lights in the EV0-3 range, so it really is dim.

I've taken it to a pentax service centre, they gave it an arbitrary test and told me to get lost.

I can't rectify the problem (with AF adjust) and doubt that any service centre can. So now I have a canon EC-A screen and manual focus. I'm accepting that MF is a reality with this camera and the low light conditions and am getting quite good at it.

It feels nice to know that any focus issues are from my fingers and not an electrical system. The reality for me is that if I'm looking for decent AF in the stage conditions I shoot, I'll need a D700/D3, a 5dMkII didn't really do the job either.

T

04-05-2012, 05:27 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my K-5 this week. It was manufactured Jan 2012. The firmware is 1.01.

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffshaddix Quote
Joe - I agree, weird that the factory is still using 1.01.
04-05-2012, 06:43 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rottie*Lover Quote
Checked my manufacture date: Feb 11 2012

Thanks for the responses. I think at this point CRIS should have a look, if nothing else they can calibrate the AF in typical light. My only fear is them needing to do any hardware swapping and not having the parts. I don't really want to exchange the camera since 1: Camera Land was closing out their stock when I bought this, and I'm fairly confident they don't have any more. 2: Everything else on the camera works great, whereas my K-7 needed two exchanges before getting to this point, and 3: I need it for Easter.

Turtle, did you go to CRIS or another shop?
04-05-2012, 03:25 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I think at this point CRIS should have a look, if nothing else they can calibrate the AF in typical light.
The service manual for the K100D illustrates how a Pentax service department will probably do AF testing and calibration. I doubt much has changed since the K100D. Note the light value of EV 12 used.

04-05-2012, 06:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

jeffshadix - if I may I think I may have had a similar problem as you are describing - my original post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/180191-k-5-auto-focus-issue.html

I wanted to add my input to your thread since I kind of got fed up with trying to get consistently sharp images with my various lenses.

I ended up sending it in to CRIS, and it is on it's way back to me now. I described my problem as most of my lenses needing a +8 AF fine adjustment and a couple lenses that with even +10 adjustment would not work.

My K-5 is under warranty so I included a copy of my receipt when I shipped it to them. I filled out their on-line form which was very easy, and after completing that they bring you to a page to print a bar coded packing list, shipping label, and instructions for shipping. Here is the time line:

Shipped from Pa to Az on 3/25
Received by CRIS on 3/28
Inventoried on 3/29
Repaired on 4/3
Quality assurance 4/3
Shipped 4/4

Here is a copy/paste of the work performed:

WARRANTY
ADJUSTED AUTO FOCUS OPERATION. ADJUSTED WITH MASTER LENS.
INDIVIDUAL LENSES MAY NEED TO BE CALIBRATED TO BODY IF FOCUSING ISSUES REMAIN.
NO LENSES SENT IN WITH BODY.
CHECKED FIRMWARE
RESET ALL
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS

So it looks like they simply adjusted the AF which for me is what I wanted - to be zeroed out so to speak. I'm looking forward to getting it back, and will report in my original thread.

I just thought I would share this so you might feel more comfortable sending it in the CRIS. At first I hated the idea of sending my camera out, but if it comes back the way I want it to be, it will be well worth it to be without it for a couple weeks. Their turn around time seems very good to me.
04-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The service manual for the K100D illustrates how a Pentax service department will probably do AF testing and calibration. I doubt much has changed since the K100D. Note the light value of EV 12 used.
That's good info! I wonder if they've made any changes since the wavelength sensor was added?
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
jeffshadix - if I may I think I may have had a similar problem as you are describing - my original post:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/180191-k-5-auto-focus-issue.html
Thanks stormtech, that's good to hear! Their response time looks great right now. Hopefully mine will be an easy fix as well, did you have low-light problems too, or was everything consistently bad? I had sent my K-7 to CRIS a couple years back for AF tuning and they did a great job with it. Post your results when you get it either here or in your thread.
04-05-2012, 07:13 PM   #22
Forum Member

Checked my manufacture date: Feb 11 2012

Thanks for the responses. I think at this point CRIS should have a look, if nothing else they can calibrate the AF in typical light. My only fear is them needing to do any hardware swapping and not having the parts. I don't really want to exchange the camera since 1: Camera Land was closing out their stock when I bought this, and I'm fairly confident they don't have any more. 2: Everything else on the camera works great, whereas my K-7 needed two exchanges before getting to this point, and 3: I need it for Easter.

Turtle, did you go to CRIS or another shop?
I went to the Australian service centre CRKennedy.

04-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Hopefully mine will be an easy fix as well, did you have low-light problems too, or was everything consistently bad?
I don't usually shoot indoors at all, so never saw any issue with low light tungsten performance nor did I do any testing for such. My focus issues were consistently bad with natural light being in bright light or shaded.
04-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #24
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Rottie*Lover Quote
Are you sure it wasn't 1.11 which was updated in 7/2011? My K5 I just received was manufactured in 8/2011. The firmware that came was 1.11.
04-05-2012, 08:52 PM   #25
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Turtle Quote
My K5 front focuses in low (warm) light. I'm using mostly in stage lights in the EV0-3 range, so it really is dim.

I've taken it to a pentax service centre, they gave it an arbitrary test and told me to get lost.

I can't rectify the problem (with AF adjust) and doubt that any service centre can. So now I have a canon EC-A screen and manual focus. I'm accepting that MF is a reality with this camera and the low light conditions and am getting quite good at it.

It feels nice to know that any focus issues are from my fingers and not an electrical system. The reality for me is that if I'm looking for decent AF in the stage conditions I shoot, I'll need a D700/D3, a 5dMkII didn't really do the job either.

T
Do you have an example of a stage at EV0-3? I see EV7 to 8 a lot, sometimes EV 6 to 5, occasionally shoot 12,800. Just curious.
04-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Are you sure it wasn't 1.11 which was updated in 7/2011? My K5 I just received was manufactured in 8/2011. The firmware that came was 1.11.
Yup I'm sure, for some reason they reverted.
04-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #27
MSM
Veteran Member

Interesting, Jeff. In another thread, I have determined that my K5 must have been briefly used. It came with the date and time set. In addition, the were 59 shutter clicks already. I guess it is possible that whoever tested the camera also updated the software. Seems odd. I wouldn't have thought to upgrade the camera if I on the fence about keeping it. But, who knows there may have been numerous other reasons s/he had to return the camera. I am curious as to the firmware version of all those receiving their K5's made since 8/2011. Maybe they all should come with v 1.03
04-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #28
Forum Member

Mine was manufactured January 2012, had 0 shutter count and firmware version 1.01
04-06-2012, 02:30 AM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Do you have an example of a stage at EV0-3? I see EV7 to 8 a lot, sometimes EV 6 to 5, occasionally shoot 12,800. Just curious.

Sure, here are 2 shots from one of the dimmest shows I have shot. Obviously manual focus - pure AF hunting territory.

1/50, f/2.8, ISO 16000

1/50, f/2.8, ISO 12800

Both have been heavily cropped I think, so there you go!
04-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #30
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by Turtle Quote
Sure, here are 2 shots from one of the dimmest shows I have shot. Obviously manual focus - pure AF hunting territory.

1/50, f/2.8, ISO 16000

1/50, f/2.8, ISO 12800

Both have been heavily cropped I think, so there you go!
What works for me is knowing the choreography, focusing on a dancer and maintaining focus with the rear AF button. The downside is the callous on your thumb.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo