Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2012, 08:09 AM   #1

Slow writing to card ?

This will probably sound like a stupid question. I have only had my K-5 a few weeks before that I had been using a K-10 and have found that the hourglass icon stays on screen a few secs after shooting I didnt notice this with the K-10. The cards I'm using are new ones (returned the ones i had with the K.10 i had on loan) I thought they were fast cards as suppossed to be class 10 . I have a Sandsk extreme 30mbs and 2 lexar professional 133x speed.
Is this normal or have i chosen the wrong cards or altered some setting some where?
I doesnt seem to effect the images even in continuous mode just the time before a preview can be seen.

Thanks in avance.

04-04-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Most likely you have lens corrections turned on.
04-04-2012, 09:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
I did have the lens correction turned on, turned it off and its still a few seconds to write. Saw a similar thread and then found I had a noise reduction setting one has improved a bit. Will have to look through the settings see what else there is. I'm set to shoot raw and DNG not PEF but changing to PEF doesnt seem to help and I dont want to shoot in jpeg. I did update the firmware as well.
Thanks for your help it has improved things
04-04-2012, 03:31 PM   #4

Extended ISO

Are you shooting with one of the extended ISO range settings?

04-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I'm Wondering if you used the K5 to format the SDHC card?
04-08-2012, 02:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies.
I have got the extended ISO activated'
and I formatted the card in camera.
If I turn of the display off it goes straight to info screen after a shot but then if i press to look at a shot the hourglass appears and again seems a few seconds to load it.
Its more annoying than anything else as shots seem to be writing to the card still. Can shoot continuosly and all shots do appear. Not had this with the K10 or my Olympus 510
04-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #7

slow to wright

Hi, my K5 has done the same as yours, One moment it was ok and really quick last two times out its been really slow and dont know why??

04-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Are you shooting DNG only or DNG+JPEG? If DNG only, then the lens correction and NR settings should not have an effect. These settings only affect JPEG's.

With that said, I do see a 1-2 second delay before the image appears on the display after a shot, but I do shoot DNG+JPEG and have lens correction turned on for the JPEGs. For me, this is not an unreasonable delay and it doesn't harm my workflow. Actually, I have more of a problem if review image appears immediately, because by the time I take my eye from the viewfinder the image is gone. For this reason I prefer to have the small delay.
04-09-2012, 02:50 AM   #9

Hi im shooting DNG+JPEG, No lens correction on and NR set to off, I tried playing around with different settings last night still no change. Was going to try a factory default button??
04-09-2012, 05:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Corrections always take time, because the RAWs have an embedded JPEG.

I have found every Pentax DSLR I've tried (K10, K20 and K5) to be kind of slow to display images if I shoot RAW (with or without JPEG) and use the play button. To clarify: It's much faster if the camera is set to display the image automatically, if I turn that off and use play it's annoyingly slow. But the K5 is no worse than I remember the K10 being.

The K-5 also has the bad habit of ignoring the play button just after taking a picture, which I don't remember from the earlier cameras.
04-10-2012, 08:36 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drougge Quote
Corrections always take time, because the RAWs have an embedded JPEG.

I have found every Pentax DSLR I've tried (K10, K20 and K5) to be kind of slow to display images if I shoot RAW (with or without JPEG) and use the play button. To clarify: It's much faster if the camera is set to display the image automatically, if I turn that off and use play it's annoyingly slow. But the K5 is no worse than I remember the K10 being.

The K-5 also has the bad habit of ignoring the play button just after taking a picture, which I don't remember from the earlier cameras.
What you describe is likely because the sensor data is sent from the CPU directly to the display when you have review on, but if you turn off review and use the play button immediately after a shot, the data must first be written to the card before it is available for display. It may even have to read the data from the card before sending it to the display, so both a write and read must take place before you see the image.
04-10-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
Veteran Member

That's likely how they implemented it, but that doesn't mean they have to do it that way. I'm hoping the next generation will have better buffer handling. (And unlike photography, I actually understand (low level) software quite well.)
04-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Veteran Member

That's likely how they implemented it, but that doesn't mean they have to do it that way. I'm hoping the next generation will have better buffer handling. (And unlike photography, I actually understand (low level) software quite well.)
Actually, if it is implemented that way, it's likely that it was necessary due to working within a fixed amount of memory and/or CPU or buffer space. Remember, these are consumer electronics built to a price point. While something better may be possible, it's not without additional cost in components or firmware complexity. The simplest approach usually works best, but of course certain use cases can expose flaws of a simple design.
04-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

yes and after nikon I have just gotten fed up with that. and also with the camera ignoring the OK button at times. trying to get used to it.

to the thread starter's relief, I am using a Toshiba 16gb SDHC class 10 (the white one) and I am too having this "slow writing to card" impression at times, but this has been easier to get used to than the button-ignoring situation
04-13-2012, 03:02 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The K5 is slow compared to some cameras, but fast compared to many othe cameras. Check out the performance data on dpreview. Only Nikon (I think) provides near instant review in some cameras. This is a point where Pentax should really improve on for the next camera.
Write speed on SD cards does not take advantage of very fast SD cards. This could also be improved,