Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2012, 10:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Brand new K-5... dust under LCD glass. Now what?

Yesterday, I received my K-5 from B&H, and right out of the box, it unfortunately had a fairly large piece of dust under the rear LCD glass (picture attached below, but I don't know how easy it will be to see on the web). It was even noticeable when the LCD was turned on at normal brightness. I'm worried that it might have to do with a problem with how the LCD glass was sealed, as I read in another thread that people had related dust problems. Or, it could have accidentally gotten under there during the assembly process. Either way, I plan to get it exchanged. With B&H closed for the holiday, I feel like it will probably take a fairly long time to get this replaced. Does anyone know if I can still begin the exchange process even while B&H is closed so that they can ship a new one as soon as they open again on the 15th?

This is quite frustrating as I was really looking forward to using my new K-5, and now I have to wait even longer.

If anyone has any other suggestions/advice for me, I would appreciate it. This is the first time that I have needed to exchange something.

Attached Images

04-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine came with a hot pixel on the back LCD. These sorts of manufacturing defects happen- you could get a replacement camera, but it might not be worth the effort IMHO. I've gotten used to the pixel and I hardly even notice it any more.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust behind the Lcd is different I think because it hints at a compromised weather seal.
I would ask for an exchange.
05-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #4

I have the same issue - one spec of dust that is visible with LCD on or off - looks like a call in order for service. Plus, my level is off as well. Recent build of Feb 2012 - so it seems there are still some QC issues, though no where near as bad as the early staining issues.

05-06-2012, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #5
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A spec of dust!? What a catastrophe! What ever shal you do now!?
05-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #6

So I take it you are ok with dust under the LCD screen on a weather sealed camera? If the seal is not proper it will be a catastrophe if water or more dust gets in. Thanks for your helpful response.
05-06-2012, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by cjb169 Quote
So I take it you are ok with dust under the LCD screen on a weather sealed camera? If the seal is not proper it will be a catastrophe if water or more dust gets in. Thanks for your helpful response.
I highly doubt the dust got in after the camera was assembled.
If the dust is a bother, exchange it, otherwise I'm sure the weathersealing is just fine.

05-07-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
TAP
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cjb169 Quote
You know what, I'm sorry. That was rude of me. I forget how important such an investment can be and I understand your concern with the camera.

In response to your question though; yes, I'm pretty okay with 1 spec of dust under the protector of my weather sealed screen. Especially if I purchased the camera new. Buck up, you've got a return policy and a mfr warranty on your side. If I were you, I would have been out shooting with it already. If my memory serves me correctly, you can return a product for being defective, even if you have used it already.

If you're so concerned about the weather sealing, why don't you put it to the test? Go outside, grab a hose, rinse. Check the screen, test camera functioning, repeat. If you're right, and the weather sealing is faulty, congrats. Your warranty just awarded you either a new camera, or a free repair.
05-07-2012, 02:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The dust does not mean the weather sealing is faulty. The weather sealed part is behind the screen protector. There's a few other threads that about this too. That screen protector is just double-sided sticky taped on and can be replaced.
05-08-2012, 01:16 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I wouldn't worry if it's just one or two spec of dust here or there. However if it starts to accumulate, i.e. you see more and more dust after some time then I'd surely return it or send it in for repair.
05-09-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtistasty2 Quote
. That screen protector is just double-sided sticky taped on and can be replaced.
Do you happen to know the part # or where I can order a replacement for that factory protector?
05-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
Forum Member

I actually agree with TAP. Spec of dust under is nothing. Why would you want to replace it if the camera is otherwise perfectly fine? The weather sealing is obviously completely fine and the bit of dust got there during the assembly process. Please, just go shooting and don't continue with this nonsense anymore.
05-09-2012, 04:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by riveredger Quote
Do you happen to know the part # or where I can order a replacement for that factory protector?
Sorry, don't know the p/n. A quick call to Pentax customer service should be able to sort it out:
Product Repair & Service - PENTAX Imaging USA
05-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #14

I hear what other posters are saying about the fact that the camera is fine, and the weather sealing is not likely compromised. However, that little speck would bug the hell out of me! Every time I saw it I would want to rub it off...

I'd return it, but that's just me
05-09-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Dirtistasty2 Quote
Sorry, don't know the p/n. A quick call to Pentax customer service should be able to sort it out:
Product Repair & Service - PENTAX Imaging USA
Thanks - will give them a shout tomorrow.