Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 01:28 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5 + GPS Module O-GPS1 = AE-L not working

I think there is a bug here. Not sure if anyone also experience the similar thing.
I have the latest firmware installed. AE-L button set to lock exposure, but when the GPS module is turn on, the exposure didn't lock on, it will keep changing as I turn to a different scene. I have to turn it off during my recent trip when I want to take several pics to make panoramic picture later. Anyone have similar experience? Both GPS and Camera has full battery charge.

I thought my AE-L button setting is wrong, tried change them but with no available. I have my K200d with me that have the same AE-L button settings and it works as it suppose to be. Turning off the GPS module on K5 the AE-L button work as it suppose to. Needless to say, it is very annoying.

by the way, single fresh AAA alkaline battery last about 2 days with pretty much continue on and off shooting. It took like 10 secs to acquire signals every time you turn on the camera. Sometime it is not able to pick up signal (in the open space).

Where can I submit bug report?

Lee

04-07-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just did a quick check. Ae-L worked fine on my K5 and O-GPS1 with latest firmware. Do you have the " * " showing in the view finder?

As for the battery time, leaving the GPS un it on does use up the battery a bit. Are using good quality Alkaline batteries? I use only energiser, but I expect lithium ones would be slightly better.

As for the 10 seconds, if I leave the GPS unit on and let the camera go to standby or turn it off the moment I reactivate the camera the GPS is back on. The flashing blue light is that the camera isn't receiving the information from the GPS unit. The GPS is still tracking your position etc, hence the battery drain.

If you think there is a problem call your dealer or Pentax. I am totally happy with the O-GPS1 unit, about the best on the market from any brand. The astro tracking function is just mind blowing. Check out my photo examples I'm my albums.
04-09-2012, 03:42 AM   #3

There is a problem with AE-L not locking even without the GPS function. I've used this feature with 100% success on my previous *istDS/K10 cameras BUT not with the K5. I returned the K5 back to the dealer & Pentax said that there was nothing wrong with it as it did exactly the same as one in their workshops. After a lot of hassle, I managed to get the dealer to replace the K5 with a new one - it does exacly the same thing.

Check out these threads for my earlier comments:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/173546-faulty-automatic-...-function.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/181124-k5-segment-meteri...point-set.html
04-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AussieTrev Quote
Just did a quick check. Ae-L worked fine on my K5 and O-GPS1 with latest firmware. Do you have the " * " showing in the view finder?

As for the battery time, leaving the GPS un it on does use up the battery a bit. Are using good quality Alkaline batteries? I use only energiser, but I expect lithium ones would be slightly better.

As for the 10 seconds, if I leave the GPS unit on and let the camera go to standby or turn it off the moment I reactivate the camera the GPS is back on. The flashing blue light is that the camera isn't receiving the information from the GPS unit. The GPS is still tracking your position etc, hence the battery drain.

If you think there is a problem call your dealer or Pentax. I am totally happy with the O-GPS1 unit, about the best on the market from any brand. The astro tracking function is just mind blowing. Check out my photo examples I'm my albums.
Thanks for the reply! * did appear and I literally see the exposure time change in the view finder as I turn the camera. My K200d, which I use along K5, have the same camera AEL button settings, does not do this. Turning the GPS off solves the problem. I am OK with the GPS unit and leaving it on, 2 days for a battery is not too bad, but it is picking up signal too slow. But now the AEL thing is more annoying. Will try to replicate it when I have time.

QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
There is a problem with AE-L not locking even without the GPS function. I've used this feature with 100% success on my previous *istDS/K10 cameras BUT not with the K5. I returned the K5 back to the dealer & Pentax said that there was nothing wrong with it as it did exactly the same as one in their workshops. After a lot of hassle, I managed to get the dealer to replace the K5 with a new one - it does exacly the same thing.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/173546-faulty-automatic-...-function.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/181124-k5-segment-meteri...point-set.html
Apparently this is the same problem I have when I put on the GPS unit.... but AEL button works fine when I turn off the GPS unit. Have you sort out your problem yet? Not clear from reading the threads...

Lee

04-12-2012, 06:54 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker:

Faulty AE-L Function
K5 Segment Metering with AE-L with AF Locked set ON, AE linked to AF Point set ON

Apparently this is the same problem I have when I put on the GPS unit.... but AEL button works fine when I turn off the GPS unit. Have you sort out your problem yet? Not clear from reading the threads...
Problem is still unresolved & I'm not too confident that Pentax will provide a fix for this - from previous threads in this forum, it appears to go back over a year.

I don't have the GPS unit but,
When you say your problem goes away when you switch off the GPS, I assume that you are referring to the external 'hot shoe mounted' GPS & not the 'in camera' GPS function in the set up menu i.e. R4 - I'm on firmware v1.13 & in R4 under GPS I have Simple Navigation, Position Interval 1min & Auto Time Sync 'now unchecked'.
There's no obvious way to disable this in the menu that I can see.
04-12-2012, 11:17 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I tried it it and mine works, although I was inside so the gps didn't get a lock. Does that make a difference?
04-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I tried it it and mine works, although I was inside so the gps didn't get a lock. Does that make a difference?
When that happen my GPS does get lock position. The GPS location is kinda useful on road trip. =)
But not much software have GPS support and don't know what to use with it....

04-13-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
But not much software have GPS support and don't know what to use with it....
Have you tried GeoSetter ? Not bad at all.
04-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Just headed outside and put the O-GPS1 through its paces. The AE-L worked exactly as it was suppose to. In manual mode it locks the exposure and then changing one changes the other in the opposite direction to maintain that exposure. In all the other modes it locks the exposure so that the camera is now exposed for the reading it took at the location within the frame at the time of pressing the lock button.

The time of acquisition was fine. About 30 to 40 seconds as listed in the specifications.

On a side note went out last light and ran the astro tracker again. Worked a treat. I just wish it would chase the clouds away. We just haven't had a completely clear night without a moon is so long. I haven't even done a calibration in a while and it is still reasonable pin point with the stars.

I love this unit. Well done Pentax. Just saving for the K-01 I expect that my wife might claim it and the GPS unit when that happens. Anyone want a couple of very low use K20Ds?, not much in the way of lenses, again thanks Pentax, we will be keeping e good ones. ��