Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
New camera fails bigtime.

I took my camera out today for a trial run. Major disappointment. All of my images are tilted. The look level in the viewfinder but have a massive tilt to them. Even If I use the level system in the camera it is bad. In order for the image to look somewhat level I have to go 4 spots off from level. This really ticks me off. Can I adjust this myself or do I send it in somewhere?

On top of that DOF preview only works in some modes and not it others depending if you lens has an "A" setting of not. The only time it works for all of my lenses in in "M" mode. But then determining exposure is a mystery. The manual only says that it has a DOF preview. Not how or when it works. It seems that somewhere in it's almost 400 pages it could explain this.

So right now I give this a 0 star rating and I have spent over $1,000 on a cameras system that is a heck of a lot more cumbersome than my Spotmatic II, has a crappy manual, can't take a level photo and supposedly can somehow properly expose an image in Manual mode.

I also want to add that the image is tilted whether I use the viewfinder or the screen on the back of the camera to compose my image.

Last edited by gaweidert; 04-07-2012 at 07:19 PM.
04-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
this seems odd. Which camera?
04-07-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
My brand new K5
04-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Would you mind posting a sample with the camera placed on a level surface, such as a table? Also, I don't have a K5, I have a K20D, but the DOF preview is very easy to use with any lens, assuming the preview button is set to DOF preview. I think people may be able to help you solve the problem. The issue of the images not being level is rather unusual, though...

04-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have it exchanged asap if still possible.
04-07-2012, 07:57 PM   #6

Did you happen to see this thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/181527-tilted-photos-k5.html
04-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

It happens sometimes. My previous camera (a K200d) had the same problem. Google "tilted sensor" to see you're not alone and that Pentax cameras are not singular in this respect. If you can return it for a refund or exchange, do that. If not, customer service will fix it.

04-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
gtl
Veteran Member

Sounds like a lemon. Get it changed!
04-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the link. I did turn off the Automatic Level System and solved the problem. Looks like e system on mine is not calibrated. Perhaps the next firmware update will address the issue of us being able to adjust it ourselves. I was looking at this as an optical system problem and not an electronics problems.

Now to figure out how to set exposure properly in manual mode.

I guess I need to go back to my Agfa Isolette folder. Maybe a nice 4 x 5 field camera.
04-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sounds like you need to have a read here (if you're using manual lenses): https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

You can always use the green button in M mode - to get you in the ballpark.

Last edited by paulh; 04-07-2012 at 09:05 PM.
04-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
Pentax manuals are written in a Menu Function basis, that is each page explains what a Menu Setting does (this setting does that). Unfortunately there is no cross-index explaining how to set the Menu Functions for a desired outcome (to do this, set these Functions) such as exposing in Manual Mode with M and earlier lenses.

Fortunately there is a wealth of information here in article form and lots of people willing to answer your questions!!
04-08-2012, 12:19 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't think I understand what "proper" exposure even means, when it comes to using automatic modes. In what way do you prefer to achieve exposure using automatic modes?

If all else fails, you can always use the old "holding a grey card in front of the camera and using it to set exposure" trick...
04-08-2012, 05:25 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the link to exposures with manual lens settings. Much better than what is written in the manual. I really miss the little "C" on the side of the viewfinder with the needle that simply went up an down. Sometimes I think a features are added simply because you can and not because they are really needed. Man do I feel old.

I shall henceforth retreat to the newby forum for awhile. I guess I have to start at this photography thing all over again. I figure I had it nailed some 40 ears ago.

Last edited by gaweidert; 04-08-2012 at 05:36 AM.
04-08-2012, 08:23 AM   #14

I really miss the little "C" on the side of the viewfinder with the needle that simply went up an down. Sometimes I think a features are added simply because you can and not because they are really needed. Man do I feel old.
I feel the same. The first "serious" camera for me was Minolta SR T-101. The internal meter had a loop and needle, and all I had to do was turn the aperture ring or shutter speed dial to get them lined up.

Having said that, I'm getting used to the K-5 manual exposure controls, and I think they are pretty much analogous to my old film camera experience. Monitoring the metering bar through the viewfinder or on live view seems intuitive enough. The thing that has been more challenging (I'm using DA lenses that don't have aperture rings) is turning finger dials instead of the aperture ring or SS dial.
04-08-2012, 05:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

personally, I have adjusted quite well to the exposure +\- indication in the viewfinder. What I'm still getting used to is a dial for the fstops, instead of the fstop ring on the lens!

some times KNOWING the older stuff is NOT helpful!

keep at it!