Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 01:09 AM   #1

Focus: mismatch between body & lens?

I don't understand why focusing parameters exist both on the lens and on the camera body. What if I want manual focus and change it in only one place and not the other? There can be several mismatch combinations between the body and lens. Is there a table telling me what the results are for such?

thx

04-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's for convenience, mostly, and also not all AF lenses have an AF/MF switch.

Another application is when using manual lenses. If you set the camera to AF.S, it won't fire until it thinks the image is in focus

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Inactive Account

What 'focus parameters for lenses' are you referring to?
04-11-2012, 08:53 AM   #4

Original Poster
on my DA* lenses there is a switch for AF/M. On the camera body there is a switch AF.S/AF.C and MF. So does the body setting have to match the lens setting?

04-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Etrsi_645 Quote
on my DA* lenses there is a switch for AF/M. On the camera body there is a switch AF.S/AF.C and MF. So does the body setting have to match the lens setting?
No. But the setting on the body takes priority.
If the switch on the body is set to Manual Focus, the switch on the lens has no effect.
If the switch on the body is set to Auto focus, you can toggle back and forth quickly with the switch on the lens. It's just for convenience.
Most lenses don't have the switch on the lens, so usually you have to use the switch on the camera.

If that doesn't confuse you enough, ask someone about the quick-shift on the Limiteds.

(I would LOVE a digital ETRSi)