Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K-5 Cometh and other Pentax stories

My friend wanted to get serious with photography, so she took my K-x off my hands. So I went ahead and ordered a K-5 which will be here on Friday. I already had the 18-135 lens, and also bought some rain proof covering clothes. So all we need now is rain to get some interesting shots.

Interestingly, my friends' relative had a D300. But he must have heard good things about the K-5 because he bought one and gave the D300 away to the friend. So now my friend has a Pentax K-x that she uses and a D300 that she does not know what to do with.

Another interesting story is that one of my other friends who has had a D300 for a long time but no other lens than kit lens was looking for a prime lens or a zoom lens. I suggested him to get a Pentax so we could share lenses. He seems to have taken the offer and if all goes well he will sell off the D300 by summer and get a K-5 or any replacement that arrives.

So there you go. Started out about 10 months ago by buying my first DSLR, a Nikon D5100, which I returned after 14 days and got a K-x because the deal was too good. Knew nothing about Pentax but I'm glad that I researched this DSLR system and have become a loyalist over the past year. Doing my part by spreading Pentax at the grass roots and now we have 3 new Pentax users in the DMV region.

I ordered the K-5, the Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI90, K-5, K-7, 645D. Now need to buy the 2 year extended warranty, the camera AC adapter for powering on time lapses, maybe a cheap battery grip if any is out there (Not big on adding weight to camera, but maybe I can find a use for it).

Last edited by photoleet; 04-11-2012 at 05:22 PM.
04-11-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice indeed. Congratulations on the move upward and for spreading the word.
04-11-2012, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not fair, I wish I had converted some of my friends to Pentaxians so I can steal their lenses

But then they'd steal my 70-200, so nevermind
04-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Sounds like the spirit of co-operation is well and alive in your circle of family and friends. Good to hear.

It sounds very incestuous though, and with all this lens swapping one wonders what else is going on in your neighborhood.
(Just kidding, my acid sens of humor is going to kill me one day.)

Greetings

04-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If your friend is going to sell the D300, sooner would be better than later, before the D400 comes out.
04-11-2012, 09:52 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
At first I thought you bought a D-L190 charger, a K-5, a K-7 and a 645D, wow!! (missed the first K-5)
And yes I need more sleep :ugh:

On topic, I've made a friend became Pentaxian. Not really converted though it was his first camera. If he were already using another brand converting him would be more difficult I suppose.

A friend of mine is much more successful than me. He made a lot of his friends became Pentaxian, only a few of them bought other brands, but they're all still go hunt picture together peacefully
04-12-2012, 12:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StDevious Quote
My friend wanted to get serious with photography, so she took my K-x off my hands. So I went ahead and ordered a K-5 which will be here on Friday. I already had the 18-135 lens, and also bought some rain proof covering clothes. So all we need now is rain to get some interesting shots.

Interestingly, my friends' relative had a D300. But he must have heard good things about the K-5 because he bought one and gave the D300 away to the friend. So now my friend has a Pentax K-x that she uses and a D300 that she does not know what to do with.

Another interesting story is that one of my other friends who has had a D300 for a long time but no other lens than kit lens was looking for a prime lens or a zoom lens. I suggested him to get a Pentax so we could share lenses. He seems to have taken the offer and if all goes well he will sell off the D300 by summer and get a K-5 or any replacement that arrives.

So there you go. Started out about 10 months ago by buying my first DSLR, a Nikon D5100, which I returned after 14 days and got a K-x because the deal was too good. Knew nothing about Pentax but I'm glad that I researched this DSLR system and have become a loyalist over the past year. Doing my part by spreading Pentax at the grass roots and now we have 3 new Pentax users in the DMV region.

I ordered the K-5, the Wasabi Power Battery and Charger Kit for Pentax D-LI90, K-5, K-7, 645D. Now need to buy the 2 year extended warranty, the camera AC adapter for powering on time lapses, maybe a cheap battery grip if any is out there (Not big on adding weight to camera, but maybe I can find a use for it).

Nice to hear a success story.

Much better than hearing all the Canikon messiah's and prophets preaching here about us being blind and deaf to the paradise that Canikon offers (or God forbid a NEX).