Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #31

Photos: Gallery
RAW (dng, Adobe RGB) for all my shots, imported to Lightroom for tweaking to taste then exported as sRGB jpeg’s for screen viewing.

04-26-2012, 02:14 AM   #32

I've always used RAW in PEF / sRGB.

PEF takes a bit longer to import inside lightroom since it converts it to DNG, but it allows for more pictures per SD card since PEF has some lossless compression
04-27-2012, 12:30 AM   #33

Is it just me or does Reveral Film disable auto-WB? I know that's more "accurate" and I like the LCD-look of that setting but I don't want to have to manually WB every shot in post, normally the internal WB does a great job so I like having that reference.

I use Vibrant myself, but only shoot RAW so it only affects the LCD image, Vibrant makes people go "ooooooh" when they see super-sharp saturated pictures.
04-27-2012, 03:14 AM   #34

My default settings are RAW DNG, Adobe RGB, AUTO WB, Bright 'colormode', Exposure correction -0.3, Single AF&Shoot, Selected AF point, Multisegment Exposure metering

Sunny outside I use as default "level 1 shadow correction" (or something like that)

Mostly I do convert DNG->JPG (****,16mpx, ADOBE RGB) using K5 for printing, then use photoshop to generate smaller sRGB JPG files for internet or email use

If needed I edit DNG files for printing using Camera RAW and photoshop

04-27-2012, 02:50 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by longview Quote
Is it just me or does Reveral Film disable auto-WB?
I just checked on my K-5 and you're right. AWB doesn't seem to correct very well for tungsten lighting
with reversal film. That's odd.

Regards,
--Anders.
04-29-2012, 04:27 PM   #36

I shoot DNG raw. However, I disagree that the image settings are "useless" if one shoots raw: the embedded jpg in the raw file is used as the in camera display. As a result the histogram comes from it. Thus, using the natural (even with lowered contrast a tad) gives you a much better idea of what information is actually available in the raw file. Using the "bright" setting clips either end of the histogram, and will make you think that you have clipping, when in fact in the raw file it isn't clipped.

Regards,

Dave
05-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anybody use cross processing?

05-05-2012, 02:29 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't think so
05-05-2012, 03:48 PM   #39

I just shoot in RAW and use Adobe Lightroom for my workflow - I'm surprised to hear the advice that I should use sRGB. Surely AdobeRGB in the settings would be more suitable, given that this is an Adobe product?
05-06-2012, 06:39 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by selar Quote
Does anybody use cross processing?
Sometimes. It's hit or miss but once in a while you get a pleasing result. This was preset no.2.

Cross processing works best when the toning aligns with the colours already in the image.

Regards,
--Anders.
05-07-2012, 05:29 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by peteste Quote
I just shoot in RAW and use Adobe Lightroom for my workflow - I'm surprised to hear the advice that I should use sRGB. Surely AdobeRGB in the settings would be more suitable, given that this is an Adobe product?
It doesn't matter at all if you shoot raw. That setting is only for the out-of-camera jpg's. RAW doesn't have a color space. Lightroom, Photoshop and most (if not all) advanced raw developer / photo manipulator softwares use Prophoto RGB color space internally and export jpg's to sRGB by default.
05-07-2012, 05:39 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Sometimes. It's hit or miss but once in a while you get a pleasing result. This was preset no.2.

Cross processing works best when the toning aligns with the colours already in the image.

Regards,
--Anders.
Thank you for your post. I remember seeing it elsewhere, perhaps dpreview, and that image is what provoked my curiosity in cross processing. Very tastefully done!
05-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
It doesn't matter at all if you shoot raw. That setting is only for the out-of-camera jpg's. RAW doesn't have a color space
True, the demosaicing algorithm used by your raw converter is more relevant.