Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The K-5 cured my CBA and LBA

In the 1980's, when I went from a K-1000 to the Super Program Plus. I thought, it can't get much better than this!
Then from the SP+ to the SF-1, I was sure this is as good as it gets!
Same for moving from p&s digitals to the K10D,
Now, with over 8,000 clicks on my K-5, I absolutely, positively know this is my holy grail!
No more camera buying addiction!

And, with the low noise, high ISO range I no longer feel the need to add to my lens collection.
My DA 18-55mm, DA 55-300mm, and F 50mm 1.7 suits all of my lens needs, so no more lens buying addiction!
(I still like to play with some of my old manuals though)

Do you find yourself lusting after fewer lens as a K-5 owner too?

04-16-2012, 11:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LOL of course you know if not this year than next there will be a super fantastic new body that makes you yearn for it, or someone will let you try their FA LTDS...... there is no cure for CBA and LBA, just temporary abatement
04-16-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I lust after more K-5s
04-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
LOL of course you know if not this year than next there will be a super fantastic new body that makes you yearn for it, or someone will let you try their FA LTDS...... there is no cure for CBA and LBA, just temporary abatement
nah nah nah nah, I can't hear you! :

04-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #5

My LBA has just begun with the K-5...
This body deserves better lenses than Pentax can produce, (especially with the prices they are at now)
Now I'm lusting after Zeiss and Voigtlander!
04-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
And, with the low noise, high ISO range I no longer feel the need to add to my lens collection.
My DA 18-55mm, DA 55-300mm, and F 50mm 1.7 suits all of my lens needs, so no more lens buying addiction!

A little tip...DXO supports modules for the K-5+ DA 18-55 and K-5 + DA 55-300. The modules make those lenses into prime-like performers.
04-16-2012, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
A little tip...DXO supports modules for the K-5+ DA 18-55 and K-5 + DA 55-300. The modules make those lenses into prime-like performers.
And no...I do have a K-5, but my LBA remains.

Need and Want are 2 very different things.

04-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Need and Want are 2 very different things.
You can say that again...
04-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #9

no time for PP, just JPEGs all day, who has the time when there are so many lenses to research.
04-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Pentaxian

In the 1980's, when I went from a K-1000 to the Super Program Plus. I thought, it can't get much better than this!

ME Super and Program Plus = two cameras that served me from 1983-2000. I recently picked up a M40/2.8 here, it came with a ME body; brings back nice memories.

Swap a Sigma 50/2.8 macro for your F and we're a match. The super ISO abilities do allow for more forgiving max apertures, which is nice. But also as with you, a few old m-focus lenses keep me company often
04-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Oh no: SBA!!
Always something else to 'need'..
04-16-2012, 07:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I'd have to agree with that up and to a point. (Looks over at the new 50 and 200MM Takumars sitting on the shelf next to the computer.) Other than anything I'd get for $5-10 maybe at Goodwill while shopping there I told myself I was mostly over mine shortly after I got my Sigma AF 300 range zoom lens. But then I saw two Takumars, a Minolta X700, a couple more lenses and a black Honeywell SPII in a $75 lot on CL and somehow I ended up going there again. I should be selling that Minolta with some other Minolta gear I've got and instead I spent half the afternoon playing with it, shooting with it, and pretty much enjoying it all. Put the 200M and the 50MM Takumar on Queenie went out and took some bird and lizard pics...

I don't know that owning a K5 would help with that. Maybe if I owned a K5 and a 55-300 I might be less obsessed with collecting old Takumars and black Spotties, but I kind of doubt it. Didn't take too long after I got my K-x and the Sigma for my LBA/CBA it to rear it's ugly head after all. All it took was one great lot and "Oooops!" ;p But to be fair to myself would anyone around here have turned down that deal? I tend to think not...
04-17-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I don't know if the K5 will cure LBA although I have also noticed that many of my shots look much better on the K5. The excellent high ISO capability may save you from the need for a faster but otherwise redundant lens but much of my lens collection has been purchased for very little. I regularly look for lenses and cameras in garage sales and often walk away with a box full for under 20 bucks. As for CBA, a micro 4/3 or Nex is in the future simply because with a cheap adapter, just about anything can be mounted on one. I have some glass from other brands, again garage sale purchases. I rescued a pair of excellent condition Olympus OM lenses on their way to the trash a few months ago. Most of my old lenses are getting used on my K10D as I have Katz Eye screen.
04-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I don't know if the K5 will cure LBA although I have also noticed that many of my shots look much better on the K5. The excellent high ISO capability may save you from the need for a faster but otherwise redundant lens but much of my lens collection has been purchased for very little. I regularly look for lenses and cameras in garage sales and often walk away with a box full for under 20 bucks. As for CBA, a micro 4/3 or Nex is in the future simply because with a cheap adapter, just about anything can be mounted on one. I have some glass from other brands, again garage sale purchases. I rescued a pair of excellent condition Olympus OM lenses on their way to the trash a few months ago. Most of my old lenses are getting used on my K10D as I have Katz Eye screen.
Lucky you. We don't have things like garage sales here, and the used market is pretty darn mediocre. Might have something to do with the ~2M people around...
04-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What you're experiencing is remission. Unfortunately, based on my own research, I'd say there is no known cure for LBA.