Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 04:50 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-5 camera - No Issues - *Post Here*

Someone wrote in one of the threads that there's plenty of people willing to post about issues with a camera, but not many posting about having good luck. there was also mention of forum trolls and such, so this thread is for genuine K-5 owners who would like to share their experience with the K-5, how long you have owned it, how many pictures have been taken with it and any other positive feedback/information you can provide the casual reader who just may be thinking about buying a Pentax K-5 . . .

04-17-2012, 04:52 AM   #2

I don't own one but I am planning to get it, hence this is a grand idea!
Bring it on!
04-17-2012, 05:01 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Glad you like the Thread ElStellino . . . With electronics there's always the possibility of a malfunction, but it's totally uncalled for when all people do is complain about an issue and never send the camera in to be fixed . . . Just pack it up and send it out, it's that simple. I want all the people who have purchased a K-5 and have never had an issue with it to speak up and help people like you to really see that the camera isn't some piece of junk.
04-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A fine copy is in my possession. It has flawlessly given me reliable service photographing portraits, weddings and overseas travel destinations. Its AF is very decent given its low light limitations and transforms any current lens lineup to a more capable level, given its remarkable high ISO performance. The intervalometer works flawlessly with me and exposure is spot on each time. Flash photography is also a breeze with it, bearing in mind the flash exposure compensation some copies might need to get correct exposure.

04-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElStellino Quote
I don't own one but I am planning to get it, hence this is a grand idea!
Bring it on!
+1. I'm also considering getting a K-5, but every time I read of another button disappearing, or other problems, I postpone again. It should actually have been combined with a poll, with options, no problem, mirror flop problem, lens button problem.... plus all other known problems. For a long time I've followed the K-5 threads, waiting for some more info on what percentage of sold k-5's actually do give problems in the end. I just wonder how many of the members who bought and sang the K-5's praises in the beginning, but had problems later on, would participate and acknowledge the problems
04-17-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

1 year several thousand of photos and no further comments, it just works.
04-17-2012, 05:46 AM   #7

No issues whatsoever here.

04-17-2012, 05:48 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have owned a K5 since November last year, and a succession of Pentax SLRs and dSLRs since 1996 before that, and the only issues I have faced with them has been my own incompetence, caused by my laziness to read the manual. The latest issue with the K5 is that I can't figure out how to change the D pad reliably to AF point select. One of these days I will read the manual and figure it out, or perhaps some kind soul here can save me the trouble.

Happy to report that no bits and pieces have fallen off, no mysterious stains, no AF issues, nothing at all.
04-17-2012, 05:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Mine's been awesome. No issues nearly 1 year old now and 12k actuations going strong, perfect focus after firmware update.
04-17-2012, 05:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Owned it for a couple of months but have taken several thousands of shots and used it heavily in different kinds of environment and climates. Not single malfunctioning to report! The only thing that bugs me a bit is the shutter lockup on really low battery when I put in battery grip priority, but it's a bug no real mafunction.
04-17-2012, 06:02 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I bought my K-5 new from B&H in January, along with an 18-135mm. Early on I added a 70mm ltd, a 58-AF1, and a BG4. Much more recently bought a 100mm Macro WR and a 55-300. I have taken around 2700 pictures. 2/3 were indoor swim meet shots, & some team portraits with flash. Now messing around outdoors with nature stuff. [I bought the Pentax kit after unloading little-used Canon 30D + gear earlier in the year]

I have had NO functional problems or issues. I mess with AF micro-adjust periodically, but currently 3 of the 4 lenses are back at 0 adjust. {The AF sensors are sensitive and will (try to) focus on just about anything, even with seemingly very minor contrast}. The level sensor is accurate. The sensor/filter and viewfinder are clean and clear. SR works great for the many handheld shots I take.

After plenty of use in Tv or Av at swim meets (w/18/135 & 70), I am re-re-learning - starting to do more things in manual modes (clued by the nice Peterson 'Understanding..' books), including taking even better flash pictures and getting yet more control over exposure. My biggest issue is always user-error - typically forgetting to return a setting after changing it as my subjects/lens/lighting/mount change. I like the idea of having a couple cheaper zooms for convenience, with some key primes mixed in for ultra-clarity.

My primary wish for improvement would be for smaller (& more) + AF sensors.

Last edited by jmg257; 04-17-2012 at 06:11 AM.
04-17-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Mine's totally fine (6 months, 3k). Nobody has actual statistics but, if you're hesitating, I'm pretty sure you can assume you have a better chance to get a camera that does work than one that doesn't. Also, ANY camera will work better than the one you don't have!
04-17-2012, 06:09 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Good initiative... Even though I think someone with issues is more likely to go online and complain then someone who has never had any issues.

I've had my K5 in possesion for a little over a year now. 85000 clicks without any hickup whatsoever.
04-17-2012, 06:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

If you check: Pentax K-5 Serial Numbers - Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
You'll find that almost all problems are of an old batch while the newer ones got really good stats considering that people complain more loudly than they praise.
04-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

First year anniversary coming up in two weeks. 12,000+ clicks, and no problems what so ever.