Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So tempted to sell my K-X and get a K-5 now

Should I wait or just go ahead and do it? How is the current batch of K-5's, any problems? I know the early batches had issues with sensor or something. I just don't want to spend $1k and get a lemon! Should I buy a used one? Do they ever come up for sale? (EDIT: nvm this last question.. I see tons of used K-5's on Amazon for $800.)

I really need that image quality, and especially the DYNAMIC RANGE improvement.. I can really see the difference between k-x and k-5 with respect to dynamic range .. same way I can see the difference between k-x and t2i with respect to dynamic range. No need for HDR really with this k-5 (well less of a need anyways).

04-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought mine in December (last year) and so far, haven't had a problem with it. I traded in my K20 and a Nikon D80 system to fund it.

Can't find any sensor stains, the lens release button hasn't fallen off yet, it's played out in the snow with no problems, got cold doing a bit of astrophotography during this winter, been out in the mist & light rain.

It's been bumped around a few times and keeps taking photos.

It's now moving up to the next challenge, doing some professional real estate house photography and 360 degree panorama work.

Hope that helps you decide.

And oh yes, my new 10-20mm wide angle lens (needed for the house photography) sits in one of those lens wraps you helped me make last year.
04-17-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I think you're ok for issues on new ones the sensor issue was solved well over a year ago.
Used ones come up from time to time, but i never see any serious discount compared to a good new price, about 10%, but that discount comes with no warranty and whatever the actuations are on the camera (if it's 15000 actuations aside from anything else that is 15% of the rating on the shutter for instance)
Best values on the used ones won't be until a new model comes out
04-17-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Are you procrastinating because you can't get a pink K-5?

As I just posted on a different thread; stop the analysis paralysis and get the K-5 and have a great summer of shooting........

04-17-2012, 12:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There should be some in the marketplace forum on the site here. I think I'd check that out first, before going with an anonymous used on on Amazon or Ebay.
04-17-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, I want a black K-5 I can use a pink hello kitty strap with it or something

Anyways.. I see SOOO MANY K-5's on Amazon used for around $810. I could save like $190 from the $1k Amazon wants for the new one. BH & Adorama want like $1099 for a new K-5......... I think they jack their prices up a bit and you can haggle with em via email or calling them. I thought a new K-5 was supposed to be $999 not $1099!!!

Anyways, what should I do!? bleh! Go with the used? I guess I can get around $300 fast for my pink k-x 18-55 kit. I wouldn't buy an 18-55 for the K-5.. I'd just use my manual glass until I can afford some good DX (limited etc..) glass for it.

Or maybe I should keep my 18-55 DAL and just sell the pink body.
04-17-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

for a couple of hundred bucks difference, I'd get new................use your other lenses for awhile.......don't get the 18-55....wait

04-17-2012, 12:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

giving up the warranty and getting an unknown used (which could be low actuation or high) for less than $200 savings isn't worth it in my eyes YMMV. Aren't you planning on High actuation use (stop motion stuff). the warranty is worth the money then IMO, plus you can bump it to 2 years fo cheap from BH. the 999 sale/rebate ended march 31st and it bounced up to 1099 (down from the previous "normal" price of 1299 I think
If Amazon has new from them (not an alternate dealer who may not be authorized) get it there and bu the $20 Pentax warranty. then if you kill the shutter within 2 years you'll be covered - at least to the 100k mark
04-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You probably won't run in to any issues with a new one- all the QA stuff has been resolved by now.

You might also want to take advantage of this if you do decide to pick one up: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/178939-pentax-k-5-specia...er-status.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #10

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
No, I want a black K-5 I can use a pink hello kitty strap with it or something

Anyways.. I see SOOO MANY K-5's on Amazon used for around $810. I could save like $190 from the $1k Amazon wants for the new one. BH & Adorama want like $1099 for a new K-5......... I think they jack their prices up a bit and you can haggle with em via email or calling them. I thought a new K-5 was supposed to be $999 not $1099!!!

Anyways, what should I do!? bleh! Go with the used? I guess I can get around $300 fast for my pink k-x 18-55 kit. I wouldn't buy an 18-55 for the K-5.. I'd just use my manual glass until I can afford some good DX (limited etc..) glass for it.

Or maybe I should keep my 18-55 DAL and just sell the pink body.
The new list price at Pentax Authorized retailers is $1099 for the K-5

There are very few places Id trust to buy a used K-5, one of which is here on the Marketplace. With the used price being just a small amount under the new price, I would easily spend the extra money for the warranty. Add in a 2-Year extended warranty from B&H or Adorama (when they come back in stock) and youll get 3 years of warranty you wont be able to get if you buy used. Its all up to you,

Either way, the K-5 is amazing! Easily the best camera on the market right now for the price!
04-17-2012, 12:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've had mine for almost 2 months now, though haven't really had a chance to put it to work. The only issue the camera has is the level being off (why can't they add an adjustment for that via firmware?). I too would not get a used one, as you don't know if it's from an earlier batch that did have some of those other problems.
04-17-2012, 01:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is the link to the new K-5 on Amazon for $989.

Amazon.com: Pentax K-5 16.3 MP Digital SLR with 3-Inch LCD (Black Body Only): Camera & Photo

It is sold by Emmy Photo but fulfilled by Amazon. It also has free shipping to prime members--I'm a prime member. Also since it is fulfilled by Amazon so it has their 30 day no questions asked return policy (including free return shipping).

So should I just order this one from Amazon? Then you say I can get the extended 1 year warranty on this camera for $20 from B&H? I don't have to buy the camera from B&H to get this warranty?
04-17-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'd make sure they are an authorized dealer before buying from them. you aren't buying from amazon in this case but a featured seller. there is no guarantee a featured seller is an authorized dealer. If they aren't then you have no warranty
Contact Pentax to confirm before hitting the buy button
04-17-2012, 01:15 PM   #14

I bought my k-5 from Emmy fullfilled by amazon a week ago. Warranty is ok
If you pre-order 2 years warranty from adorama in 30 days of k5 purchasing. You will get 3 years warranty even though they didn't ship warranty to you.
04-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'd go for the amazon warehouse deals - used is a blanket term for their re-sales. of the probably 10 or so things I've bought from amazon warehouse over the years, more often than not their 'blemished' items end up being blemished/damaged boxes with completely untouched brand new goods inside. You have full amazon return policy, can completely check it over to make sure it is working as it should. $180 cheaper than their new (reseller) price would definitely be enough of a difference for me to go with the amazon warehouse deal - it is almost a good enough deal for me to buy a backup if I weren't waiting for my Olympus e-m5 pre-order!