Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2012, 12:15 PM   #16

The card slot is a tad tighter that on my K10 - I'm told that this is due to the waterproofing feature!

Try as I may, I don't see how you can push & pull at the same time by the detailed method above.

I find that if the SD Card is pressed in then released by quickly removing the finger, it tends to pop up slightly more without 'firing itself out of the camera' allowing the card to be pinched between fingers & removed.

04-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pushing down (gently) while pulling out is how I find it works for me.
04-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
It's a tad awkward & much preferred the way the K10 worked with it's own locking 'lever' - never had a problem removing the SD Card or with it falling out during removal!

Either way, it's not a real issue.
I have a K10D, a K-5 and big, thick fingers. I'm a bit over 6' 3" and and about 225-230 lbs...and I have difficulty getting the SD card out of the K-5, but not the K10D.

I'm not huge, but I do find a lot of things in this world a bit on the small side. I tried many vehicles, before I could find one that I could stretch my legs out in and had big front seats, which I need for comfort and to avoid cramped seating.

I ended up with a larger Buick 6 passenger sedan.

So....Pentax, please make the SD removal more like the K10D....much easier for a guy with large, clumsy fingers to work.
04-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello,
I have tried the way disribie by you, and once I heard little "tick" so indeed, something released card. But I still prefer my way, though it stands in contradiction with the purpose of this "protection mechanism".

I use two fingers to release, one preses the card, second covers/prevents that it will not fly away. The first one preses and releases the card (shoots the card), second finger prevents it from flying away.
I know that it may be not the best way, but it looks really funny, when You release card, it flies up (you made it flying on purpose), and then grab it.... Just like in a movie, when after shooting you grab a shell in the air

I could not find any other reasonable way....If there was any intended mechanism - it would have been described in manual. and is not...

04-21-2012, 08:09 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
I have a K10D, a K-5 and big, thick fingers. I'm a bit over 6' 3" and and about 225-230 lbs...and I have difficulty getting the SD card out of the K-5, but not the K10D.

I'm not huge, but I do find a lot of things in this world a bit on the small side. I tried many vehicles, before I could find one that I could stretch my legs out in and had big front seats, which I need for comfort and to avoid cramped seating.

I ended up with a larger Buick 6 passenger sedan.

So....Pentax, please make the SD removal more like the K10D....much easier for a guy with large, clumsy fingers to work.
When I push down on the card to release it, I let my finger off quickly and the card pops further out, making it much easier to grab. If it isn't far enough out, I push it down slightly to exert some spring tension and again do a quick release of my finger and the card will almost completely eject.

BTW, the drivers seat on my 08 Honda Civic Coupe goes back far enough that I can barely touch the petal and I'm 6'1". Something to check out if you're looking for something with good gas mileage. They did change the interior on the 12 models so they may not be the same. My solution was a new Harley, averaging 50 mpg and it isn't broken in yet and with front highway pegs, I can stretch out like on a lounge chair.
04-23-2012, 08:48 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
When I push down on the card to release it, I let my finger off quickly and the card pops further out, making it much easier to grab. If it isn't far enough out, I push it down slightly to exert some spring tension and again do a quick release of my finger and the card will almost completely eject.I employ the same trick to get the card to 'pop' out...which it does...but it's still tight for me.

BTW, the drivers seat on my 08 Honda Civic Coupe goes back far enough that I can barely touch the petal and I'm 6'1". I've got very long legs...also what I call hockey knees...banged up good after playing hockey for about 9 years as a kid....need to stretch them out....or the knees start throbbing with pain. I've had surgery on one...still painful.Something to check out if you're looking for something with good gas mileage. They did change the interior on the 12 models so they may not be the same. My solution was a new Harley, averaging 50 mpg and it isn't broken in yet and with front highway pegs, I can stretch out like on a lounge chair.
The Buick's mileage isn't so hot in the city....but on the highway....at a constant rpm....it's 3800 cc engine's MPG is only about a MPG or two off our Toyota Matrix with it's tiny 1800cc 4 cylinder....on the highway...the Buick is revving almost 1000 rpm under the smaller Toyota engine and the Buick is low, wide and has less air resistance than the taller and boxier Matrix.

I have a buddy with a Honda Fit and Civic and it's very tight for both my legs and relatively high and broad back. The Fit and Civic are both very nice cars though.
04-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #22

I also struggled with getting the SD card out, even with using the techniques described in this forum. Now the card won't stay downand will only read if I stick a small pice of cardboard on the top to ensure a secure fit. The camera if going back to the shop but I was wondering if this is a common problem.

05-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #23

Follow up on SD card problem

QuoteOriginally posted by rweinholdt Quote
I also struggled with getting the SD card out, even with using the techniques described in this forum. Now the card won't stay downand will only read if I stick a small pice of cardboard on the top to ensure a secure fit. The camera if going back to the shop but I was wondering if this is a common problem.
Got the camera back from the camera shop. Repair guys found 'debris' from my SD card which probably broke off when I struggled to get it out. They performed a 'courtesy' repair as they called it. The card is still difficult to remove! So caution when removing the SD card. Don't fight with it too much or you may end up in my situation. A little flaw in what otherwise has been a great camera.