Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focus stacking with special hw Stack Shot and sw Zerene

If I buy the Stack Shot hw, should it be the extended rail package to get that extra length just in case I need it ?

And if I buy the Zerene sw, should it be the Pro version to get the extra functions?

Best regards,

Sten

04-19-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello,

I personally didn't - I stack insects and the standard stackshot gives you more than enough movement for that. Same with Zerene, I don't have the pro because Stackshot interface control is all I need for now. You can always buy Pro later - you get a free trial when you buy it. From what I gather the Pro controls do compensate for backlash which might be a reason for me to upgrade eventually.

-Johan

ed- I note you do flower & outside stuff. The extended version might be your best bet because you have a lot of z axis movement to cover with bigger objects like that. Also you should order a battery to use it outside. Pro means you control the stackshot from the computer rather than from the stackshot unit itself, I suspect this maybe wasted on you as you're not likely to be taking the computer outside when you shoot I think?
04-20-2012, 01:21 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Hello,

I personally didn't - I stack insects and the standard stackshot gives you more than enough movement for that. Same with Zerene, I don't have the pro because Stackshot interface control is all I need for now. You can always buy Pro later - you get a free trial when you buy it. From what I gather the Pro controls do compensate for backlash which might be a reason for me to upgrade eventually.

-Johan

ed- I note you do flower & outside stuff. The extended version might be your best bet because you have a lot of z axis movement to cover with bigger objects like that. Also you should order a battery to use it outside. Pro means you control the stackshot from the computer rather than from the stackshot unit itself, I suspect this maybe wasted on you as you're not likely to be taking the computer outside when you shoot I think?
Thank you, Johan!

You gave me good input to my thoughts.

Best regards,

Sten
04-21-2012, 04:18 AM   #4

Original Poster
I have now ordered the Stack Shot package with extension rail, the LiOn battery package, and some more.
I also have the Zerene Stacker software (not the professional alternative) on a 30 days trial period.

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,

Sten

04-21-2012, 04:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice!

Did you order the remote controller?
04-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Nass,

I did not even observe that there is a remote controller. Is it good? Should I have ordered it?

Best regards,

Sten
04-21-2012, 07:18 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
It is great to see such a useful and civil exchange of ideas and info.

The PentaxForums are notable in that regard.

The photomacrograpy forums are similarly useful but seem to be oriented towards higher magnification/micro work. www.photomacrography.net :: Index

Dave

04-22-2012, 04:07 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sten Quote
Nass,

I did not even observe that there is a remote controller. Is it good? Should I have ordered it?

Best regards,

Sten
I work in an extremely small physical space so it's quite useful for me (although it's a convenience rather than a neccessity). My reason for bringing it up is there's a bit of an issue you need to be aware of using IR 3s trigger, if your Tpulse time on the stackshot is too short you get out of alignment with the stackshot's timed sequence (which doesn't know about the 3s delay). Also if Tpulse is too long you can inadvertedly reset the trigger to respond to Canon or Nikon IR which means your Pentax won't respond. This is probably all gobblydeegook to you, once you understand the stackshot it should make some sense =).

Dave, that's a very good forum that I'm also active in. But, as you say, does lean towards photomicrography and the challenges of working with 10x/20x/50x... but technical information and experience second to none.
04-22-2012, 05:48 AM   #9
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would love to follow your progress here. Do update as your develop your technique, please.
04-22-2012, 08:43 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi Nass,
I think I will try with the Cognisys shutter cable only first.
If there is a need for the remote controller, then I may get it later.

OK, I will post some experiences of Stack Shot and Zerene here on Pentaxforums in a few weeks
when I have got the equpiment and had time to use it.

Best regards,
Sten
04-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #11

Original Poster
Well,

Cognisys Inc, the manufacturer of the Stack Shot hardware, have proven their very good service to me.

I made a mistake ordering the Li-Ion Battery Kit with USA AC/DC Adapter (should have been EU 2-pin adapter). I emailed Cognisys sales, and they corrected my mistake, and also combined two orders that I had placed with them to reduce the freight cost and to cover the $10 more expensive EU 2-pin adapter refund, and then they will refund the excessive saved freight cost of $28.25. Great service!

--

Best regards,

Sten
04-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have now started to read the documentation of the Zerene software, which I have on trial until May 21.
There will be a learning process, I am sure!
On Monday April 30 I expect the Stack Shot hardware from Cognisys to arrive, and then I will have the possibility to get some working pictures as material for the Zerene Software.
04-28-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

1) pmax for hairs, dmap for details
2) retouching is your friend
3) my stacks take 30-90 minutes to run
04-28-2012, 08:46 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
1) pmax for hairs, dmap for details
2) retouching is your friend
3) my stacks take 30-90 minutes to run
Nass,

Thank you for your information!
Oh, patience will be required.

Best regards,
Sten
04-28-2012, 11:21 PM   #15

Original Poster
Now, the Zerene software will accept the input formats JPG or TIF.
I like to take pictures with RAW.
Can I take all the stacked pictures with RAW, then modify the first picture with Adobe Camera Raw (in Photoshop CS5, soon CS6), then by some automatic operation
modify all tha rest of the pictures with exactly the same adjustments as for the first picture? How should that be done?
Then I would like to store all the pictures as TIF. Can that be done with one operation?

What about using JPG as input to Zerene compared to TIF? JPG would of course be simpler, since it can be retrieved right from the camera.

Best regards,

Sten