Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 toughness

This thing really is tough! The first image is the exact instant my camera (K-5+DA18-135) and my body hit the stone steps after slipping while photographing a shrine in Takayama, Japan. I got up, recovered my composure, checked over the camera, removed a cracked UV filter and snapped the second image less than 5 minutes later to test camera and lens. No damage that I could see. I'm still loving this camera.

Last edited by abmj; 12-05-2014 at 01:25 PM.
04-19-2012, 10:44 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Great! That's impressive!
04-19-2012, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can vouch for that!
When my K-5 lens release button fell off, I was so mad that I cursed the camera up and down for an entire evening, I even threatened to get rid of it!
Needless to say the camera took it all in without as much as a whimper. - tough indeed...
04-19-2012, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hard as nails, yes, but certainly something you wouldn't want to repeat.

04-20-2012, 12:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yes I have a series of falls and drops and I have written off several flash guns and filters. However the only thing that has ever killed any of my 6 K digital cameras was Sprite lemonade. It was accidentally poured over the camera and some of the sugar made its way inside.
04-20-2012, 02:34 AM   #6

Talk about a japanese curse !

I was in Japan for the last two weeks and my K-5 had a similar accident.

I had put it on a tripod with 12 sec timer in order to take a picture of my girlfriend and I from the Tokyo Tower when a kid tripped on the tripod and my camera fell on the floor with the lens pointing down.

My heart stopped for a split second, but luckily my DA-L 55-300 had its lens hood on, and the hood took the worse of the damage.

I just had to readjust the plastic lens mount which had been displaced, but the lens itself didn't suffer any damage !

And apart from a few dust stains on the mirror which I will clean when I have a proper tool, my K-5 has been working like a charm ever since that day !

How's that for a tough mo'fo' ?
04-20-2012, 03:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

"Take a licking and keeps on ticking" - theTimex slogan

Bonjour,

Thanks for your post and glad there was no major damage ... I dropped my K-5 off my home office desk, and it was like nothing happened at all. Good tough stuff there.

Salut, John le Frog

04-21-2012, 08:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

It always depends where, what, how the camera hits or is hit. You never know what happens inside, so if it fails in the future maybe it is due to this fall.
So far, everything looks good, be happy.
03-11-2013, 05:19 AM   #9
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
This thing really is tough! The first image is the exact instant my camera (K-5+DA18-135) and my body hit the stone steps after slipping while photographing a shrine in Takayama, Japan.
Action shot!

And how about you? Aside from the embarrassment of the fall and the usual bumps, scuffs and bruises, did you get by without lasting injury?
03-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
This thing really is tough! The first image is the exact instant my camera (K-5+DA18-135) and my body hit the stone steps after slipping while photographing a shrine in Takayama, Japan. I got up, recovered my composure, checked over the camera, removed a cracked UV filter and snapped the second image less than 5 minutes later to test camera and lens. No damage that I could see. I'm still loving this camera.
Jim, I hpe you are none the worse for wear after the fall. Take care.
03-11-2013, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the thoughts. Yes, I was fine - albeit a little sore - after this adventure. It did not impact the rest of my trip other than make me a little more aware of my footing. Just one of those moments when I was looking around for a "good shot" instead of where I was putting my feet. All is well.
03-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
the only thing that has ever killed any of my 6 K digital cameras was Sprite lemonade
Seriously though, you have to watch out for Sprite. It hates cameras... and 7up.