Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Back To Pentax

On a whim late last year, I ordered a K5 and REALLY liked it. The handing, the size, the ergonomics, low light quality, etc...However it was over $1400 and I hesitantly ended up returning it (mainly due to the cost). Since then, I have tried a couple of other DSLRs like the 60D and the D5100. I kept comparing them to the Pentax and they came up short in many ways. I have been without a DSLR for a couple of months now and have been saving up for the K5 this time, hoping I could find it cheaper. Well, I woke up this morning and found a 'Used - Like New' one on amazon warehouse deals for $900 (body plus lens) and pulled the trigger. I cannot wait! I know to check for the sensor issue, shutter count and manufacturing date to see how it looks. Nothing to lose with amazon's excellent return policy. Plus, I can say this for sure - No DSLR on the market can touch the K5 at this price.

Now I just need a deal on the 35MM F2.4 prime lens...

Amazon has several very good ones (K5 plus lens) for less than 900 still.

04-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome back. I'm glad you enjoyed your k5 before and decided to come back and get one again. The 35mm 2.4 is an awesome lens. I have one myself, but I tend to use my "M" series lenses much more (I don't know why) you should grab one yourself. you can get an M 50 1.7 for what? 30? 50 bucks? nyway have fun shooting (:
04-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, welcome back! While I've not used any of those fine instruments, I've read tons of reviews and they would suggest that the Canon and NIkon would come up just a bit less than the K5. That cam is still in my sights, to be purchased at the right time. I wish you many years of great enjoyment.
04-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wise decision....although I have many problems with Pentax as a company, I have none with the K5. You are right, it is the best value out there, and the IQ is still up there with cameras costing many times more.
Congratulations, and enjoy!

04-21-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. It's funny you say that about the company. Unlike a lot of consumers, I like to research and see what's out there besides Canon and Nikon. In doing that, I found the K5 and know what an awesome camera it is (despite it not being available in local stores). The one thing that almost stopped me from ordering the K5 was the recent lens price increase. In the end though, Pentax does have the lens that I want - great primes mainly. I honestly think the K5 is worth the price I paid last year ($1400) and think it's a steal for the $900 price I grabbed it for this morning.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Wise decision....although I have many problems with Pentax as a company, I have none with the K5. You are right, it is the best value out there, and the IQ is still up there with cameras costing many times more.
04-21-2012, 10:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Hi Rupert!
04-23-2012, 03:30 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
I received it today from amazon warehouse deals and I think it's defective. Is this the sensor stain issue? I took a shot of the blue sky at F22 and see this 'spot' in the upper middle part of the picture. You can see the picture in my albums. Thanks.

04-23-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigCTM Quote
I received it today from amazon warehouse deals and I think it's defective. Is this the sensor stain issue? I took a shot of the blue sky at F22 and see this 'spot' in the upper middle part of the picture. You can see the picture in my albums. Thanks.
Looks like dust. Mine had dust right out of the box, too. With all the movement during shipping and handling I think that it is probably very common for a new camera to have dust on its sensor. You can try to blow it off using a rocket blower, or follow someone else's advice because there are other methods that some people swear by.
04-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Forum Member

For the spot on your sensor, Go in Menu, to the wrench #4 and do dust alert. Check the screenshot for black spots. The do Dust Removal several times and go back to Dust Alert. If a few cycles of this doesn't work, then it's Sensor Cleaning time ... Blower bulb or static brush.
04-23-2012, 04:08 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. The dust removal did the trick. I took 2 more pictures of the blue sky and they look great. It only had a shutter count of 36. It looks as good as new.
04-24-2012, 03:37 AM   #11

I'm in a slightly similar position with you. Horrible timing though, with the lens price increase and all this madness...
04-24-2012, 04:14 AM   #12

It is a great camera. You will love it.

Enjoy!
04-24-2012, 05:25 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
The lens price increase is a bummer but the lens that I would buy (like the 35mm F2.4 or 55-300) did not go up too much. I am just not willing to spend alot of lenses until I become a better photographer. At the current price though, the K5 cannot be touched as far as features for the price.

QuoteOriginally posted by Trysaeder Quote
I'm in a slightly similar position with you. Horrible timing though, with the lens price increase and all this madness...
04-25-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes I get tempted into thinking I'd like to go with Nikon, but threads like this make me realize the grass would be greener only until I get there. Thanks for your post. Besides, I don't know how I could be more satisfied with anything than I am with the K-5, unless I buy something several times the cost and twice the weight.