Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #1

Dust Removal

Hello Guys,

First of all, thanks a lot for your help!

I've been enjoying the K-5 for quite a while, what a lovely camera!

In the last days, some dust and stains are showing while viewing through the viewfinder. However, the stains don't appear on the pics. I've tried cleaning the mirror, without any luck. No dust or dirt appear in the mirror when I look at it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

04-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The dust might be on the focusing screen, which is above the mirror, but I wouldn't touch that since it is supposed to get scratched easily.

Last edited by Giklab; 04-24-2012 at 01:47 PM.
04-24-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will likely never notice anything if it's on the mirror. Get a rocket blower to try to clean your focusing screen:

Giottos Rocket Air Blaster, Manual Air Blower with Bulb AA1900

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
Hi Guys,

I have some sort of blower. What should I do with it? Should I point it on the section above the mirror?
Thanks

04-24-2012, 03:26 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by ferhlopez Quote
Hi Guys,

I have some sort of blower. What should I do with it? Should I point it on the section above the mirror?
Thanks
STOP. Don't just use any old blower, make sure that it's from a photographic store & of the 'rocket blower type' - this is important because the 'puffer' is rubber & you don't want to blow anything into the inside of the camera. Make sure that the end of the nozzle is kept OUTSIDE the lens mount area and squeeze to direct the 'blast' of air towards the screen making sure that the end of the blower is kept well away from the screen.

It's a fair chance that the dust is actually on the inside & that would require it's removal which isn't too difficult but nevertheless would require a great deal of care using either a very small set of pointed noise pliers or the tool (which I found difficult to use) that comes with replacement viewing screens.

And, yes, the viewing screen is very soft & could easily be damaged if the nozzle of the 'rocket blower' was to come into contact with it!

Last edited by WightWalker; 04-25-2012 at 04:40 AM.