Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

Can't figure this out...?

So I've recently picked up a flash trigger for my AF 540 flash. What I can't figure out is how to fire the flash in manual or any mode other than AV. And maybe it's the flash but I can't shoot faster than 1/180. The trigger is from Flashfire.. Photo flex.com (I bought at Henry's and was told its a descent unit). I dont shoot a lot of flash and need to learn so much about it.. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?!!! Please help!!!!!
Rollin

04-24-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Flash sync is 1/180, you can't go faster without pTTL-HSS which Pentax wireless triggers can't do. No idea why only Av mode though.
04-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1/180 is top limit for flash. Make sure flash is enabled in manual mode. Check the flash button and see that is set for any mode you want to shoot in.
04-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ok,.. So I was playing with this flash with an older manual lens, a 50mm f1.4. Such a great lens!! But I put my 16-55SDM f4 on and it works exactly how I wanted, other than not being able to shoot faster than 1/180! I need to shoot with smaller apertures to get a nice dark picture.. Also, I'm not sure if it's the trigger, but I can't reduce the power output on the flash itself.. Unless Im just dumb!!!!!!

04-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the flash hit the mode button till you see M . then hit the S button so the 1/1 flashes then use the wheel to cut the flash duration down.
This assumes you are running your triggers so you have to it all manually.
The other option is to forego the triggers and take advantage of the built in wireless option so you can use PTTL.
You will have to set the camera flash to wireless mode and pop up the flash.
Then the 540 flash has to be set to wireless (middle power switch position). make sure the channels match.
Check the manual for exactly how you neesd to set everything.
Some people like manual everything, others like a bit of automation with the PTTL capabilities.

See this

Last edited by crewl1; 04-24-2012 at 07:54 PM.
04-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks I will have to try this and play with it more. I find the wireless in flash doesn't work that well! Are there any good websites, books even that focuses on flash, using the settings, etc. the Digital photography books by Scott Kelby are fantastic for photography but I'd like to focus on using my flash and use it more. I like the distances you can shoot with a trigger for crazy ideas!!!
04-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Take a look at Strobist

Check out the 'Welcome to' link.