Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Any tips on Pentax bargains in Tokyo?

I am heading to Shinjuku Tokyo in a few weeks. I was there last fall, and had a hard time finding any bargains. It was great playing with all the Pentax equipment, but the prices just didn't compare. All I ended up buying was a few M42 adapters (because at the time you couldn't get them in the USA) and a magnifying eyecup.

Any tips on what I might have missed?

04-28-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well, at Yodobashi, they give you 'points' when you buy something that you can use towards your next purchase.
Which means that if you're after more than one thing you get a discount, plus they don't just sell cameras so you can use the discount on anything.

????.com - ??????(???)????? | ???????????????????????
04-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Short answer - no, you won't find prices much if any better than at home. Camera and lenses purchased in Japan will have Japanese warrantee, meaning any repair or replacements would have to go back to Japan rather than Pentax USA. Also, the lack of discounted prices means you would really get screwed by the bad exchange rate we are suffering through right now. Better to get your gear from B&H or Adorama.
04-29-2012, 12:04 AM   #4
gtl
Veteran Member

Warranty should be international for pentax lenses. Hit mapcamera in shinjuku for best prices for new lenses. Ask them for your 5% sales tax rebate! Checkout their prices online. And their staff speak rather good English. For 2nd hand try fujiya camera in nakano. No tax rebate and poor or no English speaking staff there though.

04-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
Well, at Yodobashi, they give you 'points' when you buy something that you can use towards your next purchase.
Which means that if you're after more than one thing you get a discount, plus they don't just sell cameras so you can use the discount on anything.

????.com - ??????(???)????? | ???????????????????????
I just happened to click on the first link and saw a K5 for ¥76,400 which equals ~$950 USD. Not great, but really not bad either, saving about $100 over Pentax's new pricing policy.... Does Japan offer items that are not available nor seen here in the US?

04-29-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I just happened to click on the first link and saw a K5 for ¥76,400 which equals ~$950 USD. Not great, but really not bad either, saving about $100 over Pentax's new pricing policy.... Does Japan offer items that are not available nor seen here in the US?

I'd like to get a 18-135 WR, but the price on it works out to $650, so not even close to a good deal.

On my last trip, it appeared that accessories that were on long-term backorder in the USA (e.g. the M42/K converter) were on the shelf. I also got to see every lens and camera first hand, as well as every K-r color.
05-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just spotted this thread.
Fujiya Camera in Nakano,Tokyo might be your best bet.
It's only about 5-10 minutes from Shinjuku by train.
Saying that, the exchange rate will probably balance things out, so a bargain might be hard.

05-23-2012, 08:57 AM   #8

Maybe the sites below can help.
I don't understand Japanese, but you'll have an idea how the prices compare.

Pentax Body
Pentax Lens
05-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #9
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have just returned. Just like last fall, prices were higher than the US due to the weak dollar. However, Map Camera had a bunch of used DA40's, so their price was good. I bought one that looks like new for about $290 US. Then I had to leave before I got tempted further!

I'll post some photos later.

Last edited by klh; 05-24-2012 at 01:21 PM.