Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 11:46 AM   #1

Pentax K-5 Newbie question on FA43 AF adjustment

Hi people,

I'm a starter Pentax user, bought a k-5 with FA 43 to accompany my Canon system. I was just doing some casual shooting today but found the picture were not quite in focus, so I used AF adjustment to set everything right, until I set the focus to -10, the PDAF and CDAF in focus sharpness begin to look like comparable. I'd like to ask if this is a common phenomenon or is my camera a defect one? Imagine if later I get some lens which need more than 10 adjustment, I'll have no way to do it myself.

Another thing is when holding k-5 in hand, sometimes I feel there's something wobbling inside, I guess it is the SR system?

Please forgive my non-existence experience with Pentax, so far the camera feels quite good, like the shutter sound, it's just the focusing is a bit worrisome, would like to hear your thoughts, thanks.

04-29-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bearSeesAll Quote
Another thing is when holding k-5 in hand, sometimes I feel there's something wobbling inside, I guess it is the SR system?
Yup, that's normal.

As for the AF adjustment issue, -10 is generally a bit much, so I would exchange the lens if possible. However, before you do so, please ensure that you performed your tests in a controlled environment, as you don't want to be sending back a lens that has nothing wrong with it! If it ends up only needing -3 or -4, then I'd hang on to it.

Here's a guide:
Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K5 has a lens correction table able to accommodate up to 20 lenses I believe (I would guess the table is indexed by focal length or lens ID depending on the type of lens). When you make a FF/BF adjustment you can apply it to all lenses (a waste), or by individual lenses (via the table), and it will store the setting and apply it automatically whenever the lens is re-mounted. As you indicated the amount of any individual correction factor is +/-10. I have read where folks have has somewhat similar problems have sent the body and lens to Pentax for correction. There is a thread just prior to yours about this same item. Although I have never done this, I would suspect that if your lens is in need of an adjustment greater than 10, there is some process to apply it to the lens.And, the shake you are feeling is the floating sensor (the shake reduction), moving around.

04-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, that's normal.

As for the AF adjustment issue, -10 is generally a bit much, so I would exchange the lens if possible. However, before you do so, please ensure that you performed your tests in a controlled environment, as you don't want to be sending back a lens that has nothing wrong with it! If it ends up only needing -3 or -4, then I'd hang on to it.

Here's a guide:
Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
unfortuantely, my lens was a 2nd hand purchase. I did my little focus experiment in my house at night, with a tripod, selftimer, room was bright enough I guess since the meter registered ISO 400 with f1.9 and 1/80s. Since the focus is acceptable now, I will worry about future lens in the future , if worst thing happen, I'll just get pentax to calibrate my system.

04-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
The K5 has a lens correction table able to accommodate up to 20 lenses I believe (I would guess the table is indexed by focal length or lens ID depending on the type of lens). When you make a FF/BF adjustment you can apply it to all lenses (a waste), or by individual lenses (via the table), and it will store the setting and apply it automatically whenever the lens is re-mounted. As you indicated the amount of any individual correction factor is +/-10. I have read where folks have has somewhat similar problems have sent the body and lens to Pentax for correction. There is a thread just prior to yours about this same item. Although I have never done this, I would suspect that if your lens is in need of an adjustment greater than 10, there is some process to apply it to the lens.And, the shake you are feeling is the floating sensor (the shake reduction), moving around.

Hi thanks, hmm...I'm just curious, is it the problem of my k-5 body of the lens? Unfortunaly no body around me uses pentax...k-5 with FA 43 are the only body and lens I have.. really difficult to tell...