Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-29-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K-5 and Sigma 10mm Fisheye issue?

So my 10mm Sigma Fisheye seems to not want to play nice with the K-5's IS system. When IS is on, the shots are blurry. When I turn the IS off the shots are fine. ISO 400, f2.8, 1/25th.

Anyone else have this issue?

It's no big deal as IS isn't that critical at 10mm anyway, but it's annoying to have to remember to turn IS OFF in order to get a non blurry shot!

04-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you letting the SR system arm before taking your shot?

Also, it could be the case that SR is over-compensating, as a 10mm fisheye is wider than a 10mm rectilinear lens would be. If that's the case, only a firmware update would fix the problem.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-29-2012, 06:59 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't have any fish eye lenses--but it is an interesting point. In general how does the shake reduction work when the lens projects the image onto a sphere?

AFAIK near the edges the "effective focal length" is shorter than the center and setting the SR for the center--or lens overall--means it is over-correcting at the periphery. Seems like one should not use SR, or bias it for the edges. Anyone know?
04-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I assume IS = SR = shake reduction. Never had any issues with my Sigma 10mm with my K5s or K7. I love using it for very close photos. I never turn my SR off. The only problem I have is accidentally turning the lens switch onto manual focus and the having an electric motor to focus not realizing the focus is off.

I will keep a look out to see if there is an issue I haven't noticed.

04-30-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote
I assume IS = SR = shake reduction. Never had any issues with my Sigma 10mm with my K5s or K7. I love using it for very close photos. I never turn my SR off. The only problem I have is accidentally turning the lens switch onto manual focus and the having an electric motor to focus not realizing the focus is off.

Oops! Too many years shooting Canon! yep, SR, not IS sorry!

Interesting. I'll have to try the lens on another K-5 body. So far it's just the one. It's a new lens and there is the possibility there is something wrong. That's why I'm asking. I am letting the SR arm. More testing!

Thanks for the help!
05-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob from Aus Quote

Interesting, I got my Sigma 10mm fisheye yesterday and have not got one single picture without blur when SR on. When SR is off, picture is sharp.