Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
New K-5 owner

I am fairly new to the K-5. I have only taken about 1300 pictures with it. Mostly of my sons basketball games. So far it has worked flawlessly and I am very happy with the features it has to offer. I upgraded from a K20D and use that as a back-up camera. I am having trouble with the DA* 16-50mm lens however. It just doesn't want to seem to lock on to focus to the subject. I can't use this for shooting basketball games because the focus is too slow (I use the DA*50-135MM) but even outdoors it takes forever to lock on focusing. Didn't really notice this problem when I used the lens on the K20D.

04-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm sure I've read that this is not uncommon with that lens, but can't remember whether it was always in conjunction with trhe K5 or not.
04-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum.
Is the problem that the lenses don't attempt to refocus when you hit the autofocus button? This occurred with me, but it did also with my K20D. Check it out again on your K20D, particularly around infinity focus. I found that when I had to focus something far away, I often had to 'reset' focus by triggering autofocus to focus on something up close, then focusing again on the subject far away. The DA* 16-50 at least had that issue with me.
04-30-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Just tried the lens on my K20D just shooting around the bedroom. It seemed to work as it always did with that camera. It did have some trouble in the darkened room but nothing out of the ordinary. I will take it outside tomorrow and try them on both cameras again. It is raining here today. It seemed to focus faster on the K20, probably just my imagination. If I have problems Pentax will take a look at it for free. It will just cost me $12 to get it shipped back.

04-30-2012, 12:49 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good stuff.
SDM is indeed no faster on the newer cameras - seems to be a lens limitation.
As good as the optical quality of the DA* lenses go, autofocusing won't be good enough to track fast-moving subjects on any camera.
For things like basketball games, getting as close as you can to the action, and being armed with a fast telephoto lens like a Tamron/Sigma 70-200 or DFA/FA 100mm macro, you'd get a lot more success locking focus.