Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2012, 01:01 PM   #1

Fotodiox macro bellows QUESTION

Amazon.com: Fotodiox macro bellows for Pentax Digital Cameras, Pentax K-5, K-r, K-x, K-7, K-m, x70, X90, K200d, K20d, K100D Super, K10D, K110D,K100D, *ist DL2, *ist DS2, *ist DL, *ist DS, K1000, K2000: Camera & Photo

^I bought this... it is pretty awesome... question I have for anyone that has used this: it makes it to where you have to use live view on the screen, any way around this?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

05-02-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by moral decay Quote
... question I have for anyone that has used this: it makes it to where you have to use live view on the screen, any way around this?
Exactly what do you want to get around?

What do you want (or not want) to do? Not using live view?

What don't you like when you don't use live view?
05-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
it doesn't take the picture nearly as quick in live view it seems. so it causes a slight blur if the object you're shooting moves (insect)...
05-02-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't see why you have to shoot in live view only, it's a simple mechanical device like any other bellows. You just have to raise your shutter speed, not the easiest thing to do because of the amount of light reaching the sensor decreases as the extension of the bellows increases but again, what does this have to do with shooting in live view?

11-16-2014, 11:39 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'm looking at one of these also...my question is can you adapt a graflex lens to this kind of bellows?
11-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks for calling our attention to this bellows. The Amazon reviews seem pretty positive. Very tempting.
11-16-2014, 01:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is the build quality of this bellows like? The bellows, what material? Do you need to use manual lenses with aperture ring only?
Thank you.

11-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #8

There are no linkages of any kind on these bellows. So you would use the same procedure as using a screw mount lens or Manual Focus K-mount lens on non-auto tubes.. Set the camera to use aperture ring, set green button in TAv and M mode to Tv shift, set DOF preview to optical.

Set the camera to Manual mode. Focus and compose the shot with the lens wide open. Stop down the lens to desired f-stop. Press the green button (should set shutter speed) or use the DOF preview which will turn on the exposure bars and zero the exposure (or compensate as the case may be) by adjusting the shutter speed with the eDial and or aperture ring on the lens. Take the exposure. You may be able to use Av mode in which case you don't have to bother with the Green button.
11-16-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, thanks for that, i have been interested in bellows, full manual is also ok with me, maybe I’ll buy myself a present

Last edited by beachgardener; 11-16-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: add info.
11-17-2014, 04:33 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
full manual is also ok with me, maybe I’ll buy myself a present
Why not? It may not have all the bells and whistles of the Pentax Auto Bellows (change orientation of camera independent of the bellows, moving front and back standards, reversible front standard, slide copier attachment). Even with the auto bellows you still have to shoot full manual as there are no linkages to the camera body. One advantage is the bellows has a DOF preview button that you can use with or without a mechanical cable release to stop-down the lens. Thus you can just set and forget your f-stop. And that's not that much of big deal since you normally shoot close to fully stopped down for best sharpness and DOF. Another big plus with the Pentax Auto Bellows is the built-in focus rail. The Pentax Aoto Bellows for K-mount will probably cost you 2-6x as much as the Fotodiox.

So along with the bellows you should look at focus rails, reverse K-mount adapters and step-up/down rings.