Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #1

Does the in camera noise reduction apply to Raws or just Jpegs?

Just wondering.

05-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My understanding is that there is in-camera noise reduction applied to high ISO images even in RAW. The higher the ISO the more noise reduction. Reading the manual would tend to confirm that. In a thread somewhere on the forum (do a search) someone mentioned that the noise reductions applied in camera can't be duplicated as effectively in PP. I'm sure people who know a lot more than me will come on and correct the errors and fill in the blanks... they always do. Hope this gets you started in your quest for a definitive answer.
05-04-2012, 11:00 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Well now a days practically all camera manufacturers "cook" their RAW files a bit, but aside from that light process, no, in-camera noise reduction settings will not apply NR to the RAW, which is good because you can get better results doing NR in post processing.
05-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #4

Original Poster
Ok because I was looking at these pictures here and was wondering if they where Raw. Canon 7D vs. Pentax K-5 - Image Quality - PentaxForums.com

08-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #5

Well I'm starting to use a K100D for astrophotography through my small telescope and had opportunity to investigate the subject. What I discovered is that noise reduction is applied to RAW format also and consists in the subtraction of a dark frame. In fact you can easily observe that if the esposure time is high (I use 30 sec or more, with B), the camera "thinks" for about the same time after you heard the shutter closing. Means that if you use 30 sec exposure time, you hear the shutter closing after 30 sec and have to wait aprox other 30 s before the image is available and stored.
So my conclusion is that the noise reduction is also effective with RAW.
BTW I always and only ise raw format for my pictures, astronomical or not, since it gives me more flexibility in case of need of some processing to correct colors, exposition, ecc...
08-03-2012, 01:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

DFS is a different matter, don't confuse it with the simple NR done only on jpegs.
08-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #7

The K-5 applies noise reduction to its raw files at ISOs above 1600.

High-ISO noise reduction only affects JPEGs.

Slow shutter speed noise reduction affects raws.

08-04-2012, 04:52 AM   #8

Ok I maybe wrong (although it's sure that with NR on and shooting RAWs, there is a waiting time equal to the exposure time after shutter closes on my K100D super).
Anyway, it is also true that the manual doesn't explain anything about noise reduction (dark subtraction not even mentioned). Is there an unambiguous way to know what our camera actually does? Maybe asking to Pentax... Did anyone try?
08-04-2012, 06:53 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by tmmlrd Quote
Ok I maybe wrong (although it's sure that with NR on and shooting RAWs, there is a waiting time equal to the exposure time after shutter closes on my K100D super).
Anyway, it is also true that the manual doesn't explain anything about noise reduction (dark subtraction not even mentioned). Is there an unambiguous way to know what our camera actually does? Maybe asking to Pentax... Did anyone try?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
You are right about what Pentax calls "Slow Shutter Speed NR", but as simico wrote, that's different from "High-ISO NR", which only applies to JPEGs.

If you look at DxOMark, you can see that the K-5 also "smooths", i.e., applies noise reduction to, its raw files when ISO is set above 1600. This does reduce fine detail, but it is not too heavy handed, and it does mitigate noise.

Jeff