Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2012, 06:54 AM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Also, I've yet to confirm that a "30" minute battery exists packaged with a camera.
Of course 30 minute batteries aren't packaged with cameras...not by the manufacturer anyway. The very notion that they are building their own "packages" where they can pick and choose what to send you is mind-boggling. Wonder if it will even come with a factory box, manual, CD, US AC charger, etc.? Also makes me curious about where they are getting those spare Pentax Li90 batteries (and kit lenses) to sell separately.

Last edited by jmg257; 05-10-2012 at 08:05 AM.
05-10-2012, 07:37 AM   #17
Veteran Member

No warranty card in the box anymore but if you ahave an international warranty in the box , it's a grey market
05-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tatume Quote
Back to my question, when it comes, how can I tell if it is an "authorized" camera, and not a "grey market" camera? For example, will a legitimate camera have a warranty card with a U.S. address?
Save yourself a lot of trouble and buy from B&H. They don't pull the "bait & switch" stuff. As you're finding out, even if you're able to pin down some of these shady dealers to a price, it usually ends up higher than B&H.
05-10-2012, 08:30 AM   #19
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

When they mention that your camera or lens comes with an order of chips and tartar sauce....you know something is fishy.

Regards!

05-10-2012, 11:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
how can I tell if it is an "authorized" camera, and not a "grey market" camera?
I don't know, I've never bought a gray market camera. Back in the day gray market satellite tv receivers came will all the paper work in unopened boxes. I'd phone Pentax US and ask them.

Today is Thursday, still time to send that email, if this goes to dispute you will be very glad you did. Without the email its your word against theirs, not the position you want to be in.
05-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hello Folks,

Today I received a UPS tracking number, and the camera is scheduled for delivery tomorrow, Friday 5/11/2012. Further, I called Pentax, and was told I should not be concerned. If it is a new camera, they said it will almost certainly be covered by the Pentax warranty. The fellow (Matt) said the only thing he would worry about if whether the literature is in English. If it's in English, it will be alright. Further, he said people can buy cameras overseas and ship them here for resale, and they will still carry the Pentax warranty.

At this time I asked if I could verify the camera is legitimate by registering it on the Pentax web site. He said no, that the product registration is only for marketing purposes.

I asked if he could verify the camera is legitimate if I call customer service with the serial number, and he said no, they don't keep a record of where cameras are shipped by serial numbers. He reassured me that I will receive a legitimate camera.

I asked about Ajrichies.com, and he said he didn't recognize the name, but it didn't raise any red flags.

He went on to say that if I have a problem, to call Pentax customer service and they will help me to resolve it.

Overall, I feel a lot better about the whole deal. Tomorrow when the package arrives I'll report my findings when I open the box. I'm still worried. Please wish me good fortune.

Thanks, Tom
05-10-2012, 01:08 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Wow - that's surprisingly good news! That's the 1st I heard Pentax would warranty a grey market camera (NOT saying yours is, but Matt saying they wouldn't distinguish between them).

Also 1st time I heard that Pentax Imaging is just fine with other people shipping Pentax cameras they buy overseas here for resale (the very definition of "Grey Market"), or that they changed the warranty policy as listed on their web-site "...This warranty only applies to PENTAX photographic equipment originally distributed in the United States by PENTAX Imaging Company, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202".

Atleast you know you are getting your camera - THAT is what really matters! Enjoy!

Last edited by jmg257; 05-10-2012 at 01:22 PM.
05-10-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi JMG,

Well, he didn't exactly say they would warranty a grey market camera. He said he was nearly certain that it was not a grey market camera. Apparently, if it was sold in an English-speaking country they are alright with it. He said if the literature was in Chinese or French that I should be concerned.

I'm confused by the whole business. Anyway, the guy at Ajrichies was adamant (several times) that the camera carries a full Pentax warranty. And, they do advertise cameras that do not carry the Pentax warranty. BTW, I mentioned that to Matt also. He said he was very surprised that they would disclose that some of the new cameras do not have a warranty.

Matt at Pentax was very reassuring, in that he said he believes I was told the truth about getting a Pentax warranty. I really don't care about all the rest, as long as I get what I bought.

Thanks, Tom
05-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #24
Pentaxian

When you get your camera, check the packing slip to make sure it shows the price you agreed upon. I once had a dealer up the price by $300 over what we had agreed on at the time I placed my order.
05-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
In fact, what Matt said to me is contradicted by information on the Pentax website. So, now I'm doubly confused.

PENTAX products originally distributed by PENTAX Imaging Company, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202, have a limited One-Year Warranty starting from the date of purchase. ... This warranty only applies to PENTAX photographic equipment originally distributed in the United States by PENTAX Imaging Company, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600, Denver, Colorado 80202
05-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
When you get your camera, check the packing slip to make sure it shows the price you agreed upon. I once had a dealer up the price by $300 over what we had agreed on at the time I placed my order.
I will do so immediately. Thank you for the reminder.
05-10-2012, 01:30 PM   #27
Inactive Account

Hi JMG,

Well, he didn't exactly say they would warranty a grey market camera. He said he was nearly certain that it was not a grey market camera. Apparently, if it was sold in an English-speaking country they are alright with it. He said if the literature was in Chinese or French that I should be concerned.

I'm confused by the whole business. Anyway, the guy at Ajrichies was adamant (several times) that the camera carries a full Pentax warranty. And, they do advertise cameras that do not carry the Pentax warranty. BTW, I mentioned that to Matt also. He said he was very surprised that they would disclose that some of the new cameras do not have a warranty.

Matt at Pentax was very reassuring, in that he said he believes I was told the truth about getting a Pentax warranty. I really don't care about all the rest, as long as I get what I bought.

Thanks, Tom

Aah - got ya about the manuals. Obviously ajrichies sells both - seems plenty of vendors do (B&H and Adorama freely admit to selling grey market items - it is NOT illegal and some people prefer the lower cost and availability); but you did buy and pay for a legit one so that will be what you get. (Besides - not sure how anyone would know if even Pentax USA doesn't - though surely they keep track of products they distribute? THAT is very strange and so suspect to me!).

Anyway - you'll be fine! Keep your receipt, check the 1st picture's EXIF for shutter count and build date, and then enjoy that K-5!!

Last edited by jmg257; 05-10-2012 at 01:36 PM.
05-10-2012, 04:25 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
check the 1st picture's EXIF for shutter count and build date,
How does one go about doing these things?
05-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #29
Inactive Account

These are the "Authorized" Pentax online retailers.

Find a PENTAX Retailer
05-10-2012, 07:30 PM   #30
Inactive Account

How does one go about doing these things?
You can download a program called PhotoMe. Open an image in it and it will display a database of info that gets stored with the image.

PhotoME - Exif, IPTC & ICC Metadata Editor

Exiv2 - Image metadata library and tools. Shows some of the data stored....serial number, build date, camera & exposure & picture info, etc etc