Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Extended warranty availability

Hi Folks,
It looks like the extended warranty has been on back order at both Adorama and BH for over a month. I think Pentaximaging mentions that the warranty has to be purchased at the same time as the camera. I placed the order for it at the same time of camera's purchase (over a month ago) and am a bit concerned that Pentax may not honor the warranty if it becomes available at a later date. Anyone in a similar boat? Any thoughts on what one can do to get a 3 year warranty?
Thanks for any input.

05-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There have been a few posts here from folks who have called Pentax and they have said within 90 days or so of the purchase of the camera.

On the other hand, since the extended warranty is essentially just a post card with a serial number printed on it, so it not like they need to go down to the beach, get the sand and melt it, to make the glass. Not a large and complex task to produce them. Also, since they are a product of Pentax USA, its not like they need to go to Japan to get them printed and then ship them over on the "slow boat".

05-10-2012, 06:36 AM   #3

I have been waiting for them as well - have an order at both BH and Adorama as well. From the reviews on their sites - looks like no activity since Feb of 2012. It is interesting that such a simple to 'manufacture' item is back ordered - wonder if something else is going on here. Doing a search on the forums, it seems like Pentax customer service used to give out an extended warranty in the past for free if you called - but I believe this was back in the sensor stain issue days. Other may have more insight as I just got my K5 recently.
05-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you both for your response. Just want to update: Got the extended warranty shipped from Adorama about a week ago!

05-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I asked a question about the warranty in the b&h forum, but didn't get a reply. The warranties were, at least as of last week, back in stock at Adorama. The warranties normally have to be purchased within 30 days of camera purchase, although b&h told me that pentax would extend that time due to the lack of availability of the warranty paperwork. Pentax didn't confirm that, but did say that they would sell the same warranty directly for $100 (vs. $20 at retailers.)

On a somewhat related issue, do other camera manufactures require the customer to pay return shipping on items sent for warranty repair? I was surprised to see that Pentax did - and at the somewhat hefty rate of $20 here in the U.S. (for standard or extended warranty.) I'd expect to have to pay to send the item in for warranty services, but not to have to pay to have it returned to me. My previous Pentax experiences were long ago (1970s), but I think I remember not paying for return shipping for the one warranty repair I needed.

Paul
05-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
Thank you both for your response. Just want to update: Got the extended warranty shipped from Adorama about a week ago!

Yes - got mine from Adorama as well. BH still has them out of stock. Enjoy and happy shooting!