Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 07:08 AM   #1

New To Forum Help Needed

Hi Folks: I'm new to the forum and looking forward to being here. I was shooting with Pentax for a while, a K10D when it first came out back in 06. I then moved to full frame, Canon 5DII. I've since been many other gear roads and have come back to Pentax. I've recently received my K5 and new lenses. I have to say, what a setup. The image quality is nothing short of Superb. As if I needed to tell this to anyone here . I'm enjoying the lighter weight and great IQ. One problem that I need a little help with though. The date in the camera changes if I leave the camera off for a day. I reset it back to the correct date and the next day only to find that it has changed again. Any help in resolving the issue would be greatly appreciated.
All the best to everyone.......Mike

05-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum and welcome back to Pentax.

I am not sure about your query for the date: "The date in the camera changes if I leave the camera off for a day" ?!. The date and time are kept by an in-camera battery and they are updated with an internal clock. of the camera

For each shot, the image EXIF should include the correct date and time (of the shot) once you set the camera date and time once for all.
05-12-2012, 07:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 1923loar Quote
The date in the camera changes if I leave the camera off for a day.
Mike, what does it change to? Something random or by some offset? Is it setting itself to the same date each time?

Do any other settings revert back to the default? Maybe you have not had it long enough to have changed much but it would be informative to know if it is all settings or just the clock.

Also did you get the k-5 new or used? What was the manufacturing date? Shutter count?

As noted above the date is kept by an internal battery. The only reason I can think of is that the battery is dead or not installed correctly.
05-12-2012, 07:47 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank You both for the welcome

I think that you are right about the seconday battery. I forgot about that. Both the date and the time are changing. Thank You for jogging my memory
All the best.......Mike

05-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

Original Poster
Jatrax

Forgot to include: I received the camera new from B&H on monday. The shutter count was 001. That is one of the first things that I check when I receive a new camera. Not that I mistrust B&H, but just the same I think that it's a good thing to do. I don't know how to check the manufacture date. But the camera had firmware 1:01 installed in it.
All the best.......Mike
05-12-2012, 09:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Forgot to include: I received the camera new from B&H on monday. The shutter count was 001. That is one of the first things that I check when I receive a new camera. Not that I mistrust B&H, but just the same I think that it's a good thing to do. I don't know how to check the manufacture date. But the camera had firmware 1:01 installed in it.
All the best.......Mike
Welcome Mike .. and a superb camera you have returned with too !

Note that we are up to firmware 1.13 now, a long way on from 1.01 and some minor fixes made along the way. I'd most certainly upgrade your firmware ASAP.

Cheers
Kevin
05-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You can use the free download photome (google it and then download) to view the EXIF data recorded within any for the images. The shutter count and manufacturer data is included. Rather than search individually through all the fields, down at the bottom there is a search capability....Download it to your desk top, start it up and then just drag an image in and everything is done for you. Its easy...

05-12-2012, 09:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks Kevin

Thank You for the welcome. Updated the firmware this morning. I'm really excited to own this new camera. I took some test shots to make sure that everything is working good. Nothing low light yet, but then again I'm usually not a low light shooter. So far I have to say that the IQ is stunning.
All the best.......Mike
05-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Interested_Observer

Upon reading here, I downloaded PhotoMe. What a great tool. It was nice to find out that the mfg. date of my K5 was 3-16-2012 and with regard to shutter count 0001
All the best.......Mike
05-14-2012, 05:59 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hi Folks: I'm new to the forum and looking forward to being here. I was shooting with Pentax for a while, a K10D when it first came out back in 06. I then moved to full frame, Canon 5DII. I've since been many other gear roads and have come back to Pentax. I've recently received my K5 and new lenses. I have to say, what a setup. The image quality is nothing short of Superb. As if I needed to tell this to anyone here . I'm enjoying the lighter weight and great IQ. One problem that I need a little help with though. The date in the camera changes if I leave the camera off for a day. I reset it back to the correct date and the next day only to find that it has changed again. Any help in resolving the issue would be greatly appreciated.
All the best to everyone.......Mike
Try this out...Look at page 64 of the K5 manual and look at the Hometown and day light savings time settings. perhaps that will help.
05-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If the date/time is reseting itself then there's a problem and you should get a new one from B&H.
05-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #12

Original Poster
Hi Twitch

Sent it back today Should have the replacement by the end of this week. Thank You for the reply.
All the best.......Mike
05-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #13

Original Poster
Hi Super K5

Thank You for the reply. Initially I went back to the manual a few times to make sure that I had the settings set right. Everything was correct. After I reset the settings, I turned the camera off. Every hour or so I would turn it back on and the settings were still right. Then after a nights rest I checked it in the morning when I got up and the settings would be off again. The supercap on the main board in the camera was probably weak. Anyway, It is on it's way back to B&H.
All the best.......Mike