Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2012, 06:51 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My K-5 has a personality

Got my K-5 few days ago.

First thing I noticed was focus often being inaccurate @ my home in low light. Further testing showed it wasn't limited to one type of lighting, artificial, but dim natural light as well.

I have a wedding workshop coming up tomorrow so wanted to familiarize myself with continuous focusing and burst fire when I noticed an odd shutter sound. First 4-6 were typically fine/normal but then it just sounded as if something got semi jammed. Perhaps it was psychological but I could feel it in my hands to. anyways, nothing odd could be seen in the pics (extra shaky or messed up in some other way).

I made a (crappy) video:

Now the "fun" part: You hear the shutter sound change during the beginning of the video, but then it pretty much sounds normal for the remainder of the video, except for a single exposure*

*I trimmed the video to the most relevant part.

Whatever it is was *much* more severe (occurred more frequently) prior to recording the video, and now it's pretty much gone.

Back to the focusing issue: I have a single spot at my home where the camera so far has refused to get proper focus on, while my K-x has no problem with it. since the odd shutter sound dissapeared I thought of trying to see how the focusing is now. The focus point is now closer to where it needs to be *and* at times (rather frequently) also tack sharp.

I already had a talk with the shop about turning the cam in for repairs/checkup but wanted to wait till after the workshop. Now I'm even more confused. Wth is going on?

05-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just came home from the wedding thing. The k-5 was a charm to use. Will be interesting to see how the focusing turned out. I don't expect all of the exposures to be tack sharp, but still. Used my K-x too. Pretty much 50/50.

I used continuous shooting a lot, but in short bursts - never had that weird sound going on again.
05-13-2012, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I noticed a short change in frequency in your video. Perhaps its due to the buffer filling. I didn't hear it in my camera when i tried the burst shooting. Are you shooting in Raw+jpeg, or just jpeg, or just raw. I shoot just raw and didn't hear it.

A one time thing, i wouldn't worry about it frankly, if it was me.

Have you updated the firmware on your camera - some say that it helps with focusing. Also setting manual WB like Tungsten - some claim it helps. I also like a manual set of the WB at the theatre where i shoot. The reason: when i do a sync of the settings between like shots - i don't have to put up with random WB changes in the same scene. Have not been having focus problems.
05-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I didn't pay attention to it, but the frequency does seem to slow down a bit when the sound also changes.

I *did how ever notice a difference through the viewfinder once the shutter changed sound. it felt slower as the it was easier to see the mirror or whatever moving, but I thought at the time it must have been a psychological thing.

The buffer didn't fill up though. The camera becomes even slower when it does and besides, I can burst shoot for several seconds before the buffer fills up.

The altered sound also didn't just occur a single time prior to recording this video. I tried again and again and it seemed to get worse every time. At one point I turned off SR and for a second it seemed like that helped - but then another test following just after proved me wrong.

I updated the firmware to latest few days ago.

A rather unscientific test:

K-x
Tack sharp: 7 exposures
Acceptable: 2
Unacceptable: 1

K-5 - same exposure settings. WB was set to Tungsten on both cams, btw.
Tack sharp: 2
Acceptable: 1
Unacceptable: 8

K-5 - Live view
Focus couldn't lock. Tried many times.

I tried LV first time few days ago (same target and light conditions) when a friend asked about it. single try - locked - tack sharp. Odd.

K-5 - Live View. Slightly offset target
Tack sharp: 3
Acceptable: 4
Unacceptable: 3

The K-5 focusing seems to be closer to where it needs to be than few days ago, but it's still far from good enough compared to K-x.

This is what I've been shooting - aimed straight at the middle:

the tests with the offset was aimed at that metal gridded thing. Doesn't make sense to me what that test came out better. It's low light condition, sure, but strong contrast.

05-14-2012, 03:43 AM   #5

LV focus accuracy, in my limited experience, is pretty poor (especially in low light) - better to use the viewfinder!
05-14-2012, 04:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just included in the testing but never use LV normally.
05-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
LV focus accuracy, in my limited experience, is pretty poor (especially in low light) - better to use the viewfinder!
I find LV very accurate, except in low light as you mentioned.