Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2012, 04:04 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Help me out, I'm confused again...

1. So this new monochrome camera uses all pixels for monochrome recording. That's why the images will be higher resolution then pics from a normal cam converted to greyscale.

2. Essentially, Silver Efex Pro would do the same. Not converting a image to greyscale, but keeping the same colourspaces and converting their colours to shades of grey.

Then why couldn't this just be added to any next (Pentax) DSLR as a inbody processing option? Just like lens correction, highlight correct and digital filters? It would be exactly the same, but slower. And in that case, even a firmware update could maybe do the trick for existing bodies...

Am I right, or am I missing something?

05-16-2012, 05:22 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Help me out, I'm confused again...

1. So this new monochrome camera uses all pixels for monochrome recording. That's why the images will be higher resolution then pics from a normal cam converted to greyscale.

2. Essentially, Silver Efex Pro would do the same. Not converting a image to greyscale, but keeping the same colourspaces and converting their colours to shades of grey.

Then why couldn't this just be added to any next (Pentax) DSLR as a inbody processing option? Just like lens correction, highlight correct and digital filters? It would be exactly the same, but slower. And in that case, even a firmware update could maybe do the trick for existing bodies...

Am I right, or am I missing something?
the fact that the colour filter is there for one. It also affects the AF.

We already have in camera b/w options (at least my K7 does as does the K5 AFAIK - not sure on KR/Kx since i don't use them)). Not the same as a dedicated b/w sensor
05-16-2012, 05:55 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
We already have in camera b/w options (at least my K7 does as does the K5
The current options convert to greyscale only. They do not preserve the colour spaces and convert those colour spaces to grey values like Silver Efex does.
05-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Markbrumbaugh Quote
I do not understand the desire for monochrome. Help?
Sorry i miss your post!
Read the few essential books in photography by Ansel Adams or 'The Art of photography' by BB and see that helps...

05-16-2012, 06:28 AM   #35

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
Here is an explanation for the monochrome sensor. Check the section under 'bye bye bayer'

Leica M9 Monochrom
05-16-2012, 07:17 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bestzoom Quote
Here is an explanation for the monochrome sensor. Check the section under 'bye bye bayer'

Leica M9 Monochrom
thanks for the link, it's a really good explanation of how it works and why some people may want it (If I had the cash my name would already be on the wait list like digitalis) Interestingly he shot with a tri-elmar. I was thinking before i read this that the MM with a tri-elmar could easily be my only camera. (well maybe add a summicron 90 for portraits and 35 1.4 for low light)
05-16-2012, 07:53 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I have my Nikon SLR sitting in my house somewhere with a few Nikkor lenses. I am just too lazy and busy with kids these days. I will love to be able to do it again.
Unfortunately i have thrown away my perfectly functioning enlarger and all the film developing kit. sigh!
Maybe when the kids are older they could maybe help you even, it's quite magical to see the pictures appear when developing.
Just give them a SLR with 50mm prime, i'm sure you can spark some interest =]

B&W is something i might pick up with film but i would never consider doing colour.
Would love to get a large format camera to play around with ^^

05-16-2012, 07:55 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Leica M9 Monochrom
You can technically still shoot in colour if you use colour filters and overlap the photos.
Astrology photography is often done like that these days, no idea if someone else still use it.
05-17-2012, 02:28 AM   #39

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I was thinking before i read this that the MM with a tri-elmar could easily be my only camera. (well maybe add a summicron 90 for portraits and 35 1.4 for low light)
That's an awesome combo no doubt.
Just imagine if i can have a K5 with FA77 and K5M with FA31 attached. Just a dream combo...plus AF!

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
it's quite magical to see the pictures appear when developing.
Spot on...
I spent hours in the dark room just because of it....
05-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #40
Veteran Member

Spot on...
I spent hours in the dark room just because of it....
I've only done it a couple of times but i always remember that as something special and also the whole process actually.
I hope that with a 5x7 camera i can just make contact prints, need to check out the precise size or else i'll just get a good scanner so that i can scan in 4x5 and enlarge them digitally.