05-18-2012, 01:01 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Auto ISO in the Pentax K-5 in Av mode

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 06:31 AM. Reason: [deleted]
05-18-2012, 02:16 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Another thing you can do when in AV mode, is the set the front dial to adjust ISO, so if you do want to quickly change the auto ISO you can with a flick of the front dial, leave the rear dial as Aperature control.
05-18-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

There are lots and lots of options with this wonderful camera. I suppose that's part of what makes it great...

Personally I leave the ISO "aggressiveness" on normal and switch to TAv if I disagree with the camera - which I usually do in low-light situations. In good light "normal" suits me just fine.

But great tip non the less - the ISO aggressiveness setting is poorly explained in the manual.
05-18-2012, 04:48 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Auto iso is a nice feature, but it is easily confused. Basically, it doesn't know what you are taking photos of, it just knows your shutter speed. If I am taking photos of a static scene without wind, then I can certainly keep my iso low and have a little longer shutter speed. On the other hand, if I am chasing my kids around, it doesn't matter what focal length I am using, I still need shutter speeds of at least 1/100 to freeze motion. For that reason, I prefer TAv, or to set the iso myself. (Also, I find auto iso seems to pick oddly high isos when I am shooting flash)...

05-18-2012, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's why I've made different Custom mode with their own Auto-iso & Program line settings.
- one named Portrait, with Slow Auto-iso & Shallow DoF
- one named Landscape, with Slow Auto-iso & large DoF
- One named Action, with Normal Auto-iso and Action line
- One named Fast Action, with high Auto-iso and Action line
05-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:32 AM. Reason: [deleted]
05-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #7

Beholder3, wow, thanks for posting this! I'd noticed that the Auto ISO usually set a higher shutter than I'd have thought necessary given the SR. And now I know I can change it to "slow" to keep the ISO from needlessly going into the stratosphere. (I'm still old-school enough to think of ISO 1600 as being pretty darn fast.) Great!

05-18-2012, 07:25 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
Up to this day I wonder how the program modes "normal" and "auto" are different. I have not found any documentation on it and the Pentax support had no clue.
I'd also like to know. Perhaps auto is a leftover from the lower tier cameras like K-r that have scene modes affecting the program line.

Regards,
--Anders.
05-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:31 AM. Reason: [deleted]
05-18-2012, 08:06 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I'm shooting a sufficiently modern lens (IE a type or newer) I now almost always use TAV mode
the specific program setting idea is a good one, i've just never bothered to sit down and figure it out for how i use the camera
I will also use auto iso when shooting taks in av mode but limit it's upper level to an iso suitable to the situation
If shooting low light concert stuff though i almost always default to full manual iso on front shutter on back and set the aperture via the lens if it's a manual lens (it frequently is as i don't have an AF lens faster than 2.8)
05-19-2012, 02:04 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
My tiny tests indicated that "auto" seems the only program line which refers to the focal length.
I know what auto is then. It's the program in effect in green auto. It uses focal length and focus distance to
choose between the other program lines:
- wide angle and distant focus: chooses landscape program line for large dof.
- close focus distance: chooses the mtf program line, assuming an attempted macro shot
- focal length and focus distance that matches a human torso or headshot: chooses portrait program line for shallow dof.
- anything in between: chooses normal program line.

I know from my K-x, which displays the chosen scene mode in the viewfinder and inscribes the chosen
program line in the exif data. The K-x (and presumably K-r) also chooses an image finish tone to match
the scene mode. It seems the K-5 doesn't do that.

Mystery solved.
Regards,
--Anders.
05-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
The K-x (and presumably K-r) also chooses an image finish tone to match
the scene mode. It seems the K-5 doesn't do that.
Please, could you explain with other words what do you mean by "image finish tone"? (I have a k-5)
Many thanks.
05-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Image finish tone is the colour style. What's the official name? "custom image setting"?
You know, bright/vibrant/muted/landscape, the colour setting.

Regards,
--Anders.
05-19-2012, 06:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Another thing you can do when in AV mode, is the set the front dial to adjust ISO, so if you do want to quickly change the auto ISO you can with a flick of the front dial, leave the rear dial as Aperature control.
I didnt know about that one lol
That actualy sounds very intrsting. Im going have to twiddle that one around my brainbox for a while.
Than you
05-23-2012, 09:25 AM   #15

@beholder3

Thank you for sharing your observations. I now understand how the ISO modes work. Really helpful.