Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2012, 04:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
from my experience, image quality improvment isn't that big.
if it is from k-7 to k-5, it is probabaly a lot more improvment, but the kx sensor is already very good.
I feel a lot improvement goes to operation and control.

05-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #17
Veteran Member

K-5 over K-x:
- Quiet shutter;
- Better DR = more ability to push shadows and get some useful extra high ISO;
- More cropability from 16MP vs 12MP;
- WR;
- Can use battery grip;
- Faster fps;
- Better video etc, although I have never used it;
- Solid as a rock.

K-x over K-5:
- Lighter;
- Simpler and easier to use controls and menus;
- Better placement of green button;
- Can use it completely one-handed, including play and review;
- AA's, especially useful for travelling.
05-18-2012, 05:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Better placement of green button;
Nooooooo! ISO is more useful than green button methinks. I love the K-5 green button.
05-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I just recently moved to a K-5 from a K-x, my wife took over that camera and it still plays a big part of our camera gear, it is lightweight and a bit smaller, these are reasons why I will never get rid of it......it has it's place. After doing a bunch of shooting with my K-5 I am rather impressed however I feel the K-x has very similar IQ, I am basically impressed at how much easier the K-5 seems to use on a day to day basis, it is just a way easier camera to use, it does feel more solid than a K-x, and it is way quieter as well. I still really enjoy using the K-x just as much as the K-5, it's just that the K-5 is a whole different animal altogether, I look back at many of the older shots that I took with my K-x and am impressed at how the images compared to the K-5 are very similar, I however like how I can do more cropping with the higher resolution of the K-5, but that doesn't happen very often, resolution to me really doesn't matter any more, especially since cameras have gotten above 10 MPs, I have learned that I really don't have a use for these really large file sizes.
My wife is learning a lot from using the K-x and is the type of person who feels that she doesn't need anything more than what that camera offers, she laughed at me when I got the K-5, but now she realizes I used everything that camera has to offer and is actually glad that I am totally happy with my new gear, she jokes at me and says that when the full frame comes out, I am going to start to Jones for one of those as well because I am never happy with what i have, I actually am very happy with what I have in the K-5, the full frame probably will be in my future only if things take off in a professional level for me, but I am totally satisfied with this awesome APSC camera, I will most likely upgrade this K-5 when it is totally wore out and unusable. I am cranking out some nice pictures with it even though I don't have the expensive glass that most other folks in here have, I make what I have work for me.
Now I am crossing my finger she gets me a battery grip for my K-5 for my birthday coming up this next month, or even a new lens from my list I made up for her to reference. Next month we are planning on a trip across the states and will be doing lots of stopping for the photo ops, and a nice new lens or two would be awesome.

05-18-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
I love the K-5 green button.
As a left-eyed shooter, the green button on the K-5 isn't ergonomic. My nose blocks access to the green button.

But on the other hand, on the K-x my nose often presses the Liveview button, which can be even more annoying.
05-18-2012, 06:30 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It could be that the increase in dynamic range is allowing for more natural/better transition of color spaces.
Yes, that was my perception as well The first photoshoot I did after getting my K-5, I was really impressed by the smooooth gradations in color, light...everything.

My reasons to go K-x --> K-5 were the same list as everyone else :P

~Superior dynamic range (K-x clips highlights & reds in bright sun)
~Pentaprism!!!! I was tired of squinting
~2 E-dials (I shoot in Ap, and wanted the added at-the-fingertips-adjustment *a lot*)
~WR
~better high ISO
~front/back focus adjustment (I had to send back a couple of lenses cause the K-x couldn't)
~build quality. I didn't even realize I wanted that, but when I held the K-5 in my hands, I found out just how much I wanted it! Tactile feedback makes a huge difference to some people, and I'm one of them.
~Quiet shutter!!! (how could I forget that?) I shot a wedding with my K-5 and was constantly thinking, "I would never have done this with the K-x and it's machine gun shutter sound...." )

What I missed:
Size. Size size size. I went from carrying my DSLR with me, say, 75% of the time, to more like 25%. I wouldn't have guessed the slight increase in size would have mattered, but apparently it climbed over some invisible "will I or won't I?" threshold. The K-x with a DA15 Ltd. on the front was the perfect walk-around size.

Hmm - looking at those lists, I see why I'm loving the Fuji X100 so much

05-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
But on the other hand, on the K-x my nose often presses the Liveview button, which can be even more annoying.
I had to laugh when I read this. I love my K-x but this is the one thing that I do not like about it. My nose isn't exactly big and I still manage to turn that darned LV on all the time! I'd love to be able to disable that thing completely. I never use LV, ever. Like video it's just something my camera happens to do, but that I could care less about. I can actually live sans the focus points, WR et all though I wouldn't mind having them, but the size of the K-5 just might be too big for me actually I'm thinking. K-x is just about perfect for my hands. I'm hoping the new K30 is the best of both worlds, smaller like a K-x but WR and with AF points, that would be nice...

05-19-2012, 07:28 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
I More importantly WR. I finally took my K-5 into shower the first time a couple weeks ago after spending a day in dusty and beach environments. So much easier to clean up the camera that way.
omg really! wow lol. I don't think I could do that!
05-19-2012, 07:39 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ecaterin Quote
Hmm - looking at those lists, I see why I'm loving the Fuji X100 so much
Let's see a pic of the x100 side by side with k-5
05-19-2012, 07:41 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
I had to laugh when I read this. I love my K-x but this is the one thing that I do not like about it. My nose isn't exactly big and I still manage to turn that darned LV on all the time! I'd love to be able to disable that thing completely. I never use LV, ever. Like video it's just something my camera happens to do, but that I could care less about. I can actually live sans the focus points, WR et all though I wouldn't mind having them, but the size of the K-5 just might be too big for me actually I'm thinking. K-x is just about perfect for my hands. I'm hoping the new K30 is the best of both worlds, smaller like a K-x but WR and with AF points, that would be nice...

Hrm, I've never had a problem with bumping liveview with my nose !
05-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Me neither, but I've got a very bendy nose, so it just kinda squashes out of the way on the screen :P I can see how you'd hit it if you were left-eyed though.

I'm always sentimental about my K-x, I learnt all the basics with it and it'll always have some weird personal connection with me that the K-5 doesn't have, regardless of how much nicer the K-5 is to use.
05-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well I am gonna send the K-5 back to amazon. There must be somethign wrong with it. The pictures are all blurry. I spent an hour in a off camera flash photography setup trying to get good portraits from it and couldn't. Then I popped hte lens and flash trigger on my K-X--with the same iso , aperture, shutter speed--and took good pictures within minutes. So it's really sad I got a bumb K-5 and couldnt' stay in the K-5 club. I doubt I'll try to switch again. The K-X just works for me.

EDIT: actually the ISO was 100 on the K-5 and 200 on the K-x.. i just simply halved the 2 manual flash light settings.
05-20-2012, 03:30 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by geekette Quote
I was just wondering if I could get some feedback from other K-X owners that have also transitioned to K-5. What do you like most about the upgrades? What do you like about the K-X better?
K-x advantages:
1) size and weight
2) seems slightly faster writing images, or at least doesn't bog down like the K-5 can

K-5 key advantages for me
1) faster FPS
2) user modes are awesome
3) having a 2sec delay + bracket drive mode
4) TAv mode
5) Front e-dial
6) Slightly better IQ (mainly when raising shadows being able to do so with less noise)
7) switch for AF-S, AF-C, M
8) Quiet shutter
9) AF fine adjust
10) Seperate AF button and AE-L button (I use back button focus)
05-20-2012, 03:34 PM   #29
Veteran Member

the buttons might not fall off the new KX..... surley that may be an advantage lol
05-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #30

The bigger and brighter viewfinder was one of the first things which I was very thankful for. It helped with manual focusing a lot. In fact, just about everything made me glad that I replaced the K-x with the K-5! haha