Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Shake Reduction - Curse or Bonus

On my K10, I just left it switched on & never had a blurry or unfocused shot as a result of SR.

With the K5, is it my imagination, or does the 'hand' take an age to light up in the viewfinder to indicate that SR is active. If it's necessary to wait for this prior to pressing the shutter, then wouldn't it make sense to include an option, similar to focus, such that you can't depress the shutter until SR is lit.

Fortunately, my number of failed shots is buried in the noise, so as to speak, but it's still annoying when it happens particularly when you've selected a high shutter speed with a long lens using the 1/focal length 'rule of thumb'.

05-21-2012, 10:53 AM   #2
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From what I've read elsewhere on the forums, once you have high shutter speeds, whether SR is on or not shouldn't matter. So under those cases, if the SR prevented you from taking the picture that would be a bad thing as you'd likely miss shots, or you should just turn the SR off.
05-21-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WightWalker Quote
....... then wouldn't it make sense to include an option, similar to focus, such that you can't depress the shutter until SR is lit.
K-5 Menu --> Custom --> #15 AF.S Settings --> Focus Priority

Does pretty much what you are asking about.
05-21-2012, 12:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
K-5 Menu --> Custom --> #15 AF.S Settings --> Focus Priority

Does pretty much what you are asking about.
No it only gives you the option for focus; I was suggesting that an additional option for SR to compliment Menu --> Custom --> #15 AF.S Settings --> Focus Priority

05-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

With the K5, is it my imagination, or does the 'hand' take an age to light up in the viewfinder to indicate that SR is active
I guess it's your imagination, if anything it's slightly faster then the K10. Anyhow, if you don't want to wait for it, don't wait for it. The result will be the same as if the SR was shut off. Some people claim that that will ruin the shoot, but I doubt it, there is no technical reason for that as far as I know.
05-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #6
Site Supporter

No it only gives you the option for focus; I was suggesting that an additional option for SR to compliment Menu --> Custom --> #15 AF.S Settings --> Focus Priority
Of course.

I'm in idiot mode today.