Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2012, 10:58 PM   #1

Manual vs Auto Focus

Does the K5 record whether the shot was taken using manual or auto focus?? If yes where can I find this info?

I did a series of test shots and did not record which were in manual & which were auto. I assumed the K5 would record that info along with aperture, speed, ISO etc. I can not find this info. Did I waist my time on the test shoot?

05-21-2012, 11:15 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the photograph EXIF does include the info. It is shown in PDCU (as Autofocus mode). You can read also the EXIF info with Photome (photome.de) under Focus mode.

I hope that the info will help.
05-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Even better, PhotoMe can read the EXIF and show which AF point was being used in each shot:

EDIT - this may not work reliably or at all for Pentax cameras.
I also deleted the image from PhotoMe in this post showing this feature at work, since it shows a Nikon body.

Last edited by rawr; 05-22-2012 at 12:34 PM.
05-21-2012, 11:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
Yes, the photograph EXIF does include the info. It is shown in PDCU (as Autofocus mode). You can read also the EXIF info with Photome (photome.de) under Focus mode.

I hope that the info will help.
BIG HELP!!! Thanks

PhotoMe is incredible, thanks for the heads up.

05-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #5

Original Poster
hcc & rawr Thanks great info.

Since you both seem very knowledgeable. one more related question, can you tell the K5 to recognize Non DA lenses you use all the time and have it record it in the EXIF file? I have the Pentax A 300mm F2.8 and the Pentax A 200mm F4 Macro which are not recognized. I was testing the Sigma 150-500 & would love to have that recognized as well.
05-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

Bela,

With the K-7, I do not believe that there is such a function. I assume that it could be the same with the K-5.
05-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #7
Veteran Member

You (AFAIK) can't tell the camera to recognize a lens that it doesn't already have a EXIF LensType code for in it's firmware.

The less elegant solution is to write the lens values you want into your image EXIF in post-processing. A variety of tools will let you do that, including EXIF tools like EXIFtool itself, EXIFtoolGUI, PhotoMe, or image managers like Lightroom, and many others.

05-22-2012, 04:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
You (AFAIK) can't tell the camera to recognize a lens that it doesn't already have a EXIF LensType code for in it's firmware.
But as far as I know,
  • Even if the camera does not know the lens, it will still put the lens ID in the EXIF info. And tools like photome (if it knows about that lens) can translate that.
  • A non-Pentax lens might be identified incorrectly
  • A-lenses don't identify themselves
05-22-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Even better, PhotoMe can read the EXIF and show which AF point was being used in each shot:

Can you tell how to use this feature for Penatx files? I can't get PhotoMe to cooperate (AF icon is red X-ed out)!
05-22-2012, 12:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
Can you tell how to use this feature for Penatx files?
First thing is to make sure you have an image file with full EXIF intact.
Make sure you are using PhotoMe 0.79, not the 0.8beta
Then open the image in PhotoMe.
Immediately you will see a preview of the image in the bottom left (under 'Thumbnail') which shows the AF points used if you click on the little '[AF]' icon above the thumbnail.

You can also go into the manufacturer's notes section and see under the AF section a text entry for 'AF points in focus' which will say which points were in use.

While an option for displaying a big graphic of AE metering segment data DOES come up for Pentax cameras in the manufacturing notes section of 0.79, a big graphic indicating AF points in use DOESN'T seem to come up reliably for Pentax cameras in 0.79, if it appears at all. Maybe it only works reliably for some Nikon or Canon models. So sometimes the small thumbnail display of AF point in use is all you might see.
05-22-2012, 02:02 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Thanks, rawr!!!

Cheers!
05-22-2012, 04:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

FWIW, if you have a Mac (I don't, so can't verify) Apple's Aperture 3 image manager also lets you view an AF point overlay on your images that highlights which AF points were active (under the Metadata Inspector tab).
QuoteQuote:
Hover over the Focus Points button in the Camera Info pane to see the focus points used by your camera to autofocus the image. You can also click the button to turn the display of focus points on or off.
Apple don't say this feature doesn't support Pentax, so it probably does.
11-04-2012, 01:10 AM   #13

The less elegant solution is to write the lens values you want into your image EXIF in post-processing. A variety of tools will let you do that, including EXIF tools like EXIFtool itself, EXIFtoolGUI, PhotoMe, or image managers like Lightroom, and many others.
Exiftool works very well when integrated with Automator on Mac. I have written a step-by-step guide available here on my website.